2005 jeep wrangler LJ 4.0 (shutting off while driving) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005 jeep wrangler LJ 4.0 (shutting off while driving)

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 06-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
msholar
2005 LJ Wrangler 

2005 jeep wrangler LJ 4.0 (shutting off while driving)

my 05 wrangler is acting up something terrible....its the 4.0 litre 6speed. while driving at any random speed sometimes it will stutter a couple times and keep running or it will shut shut off completely. keeps throwing a camshaft position sensor code. already replaced it and checked my connections to make sure it was snug and no change at all. PLEASE if anyone has run into this problem i would really appreciate and info you have on this problem at all.

msholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Check and make sure your OPDA is not loose or has loose connections also. My guess is it's something with the wiring to the CPS or at a connection for the CPS or the OPDA.

Good luck.
Garza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #3
msholar
2005 LJ Wrangler 

What are you referring to as the OPDA?
Unread 06-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msholar View Post
What are you referring to as the OPDA?
Oil pump drive assembly. It's where most would call a distributor would be (just forward of the oil filter).
Unread 06-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
msholar
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I checked it last night after I installed my new camshaft position sensor. It looked to be fine....looked to be just an aluminum disk with cut outs where the sensor reads on. Looked to be fine.
Unread 06-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Wait, Which is the sensor you replaced, the one on the trans. bellhousing, or the one in this pic??
opdainstalledv2label.jpg  
Unread 06-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #7
msholar
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I replaced the one in the picture...which is the can shaft position sensor correct? That is the code it keeps giving me.
Unread 06-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #8
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I replaced the one in the picture...which is the can shaft position sensor correct? That is the code it keeps giving me.
OK, yes that is the CAM position sensor. What you may need to try is loosening the OPDA hold down bolt a tad and try very small increments of clockwise and/or counter clockwise movements with the OPDA. If it is not synchronized it won't run, I'm just guessing maybe your close enough to being off that it is intermittent.

This is a good read..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...ilure-1144202/
Unread 06-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #9
msholar
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I did read and watched a couple of the videos on that link ( VERY good info BTW) I still never read where it tells you how you know if the OPDA is out of time. Now what you were suggesting was actually moving the housing just like you would do to a distributor if it was out of time correct?
Unread 06-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #10
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I did read and watched a couple of the videos on that link ( VERY good info BTW) I still never read where it tells you how you know if the OPDA is out of time. Now what you were suggesting was actually moving the housing just like you would do to a distributor if it was out of time correct?
Yes
Unread 06-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #11
msholar
2005 LJ Wrangler 

OK....is there a link that provides instruction on how to get these timed perfectly?
Unread 06-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #12
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Start on post# 828 from the link I put above where I kind of described mine. If your Jeep is running at all, you are very close. Remember adjusting it may not do anything in regards to your code...I assume P0016?? I'm simply trying to give you something to look into.

One thing though....did you ever clear the code (with a scanner) once you put the new sensor in? if you didn't, try disconnecting the battery for 10min or so and see what happens.

Ricky
Unread 06-11-2013, 04:48 PM   #13
msholar
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yes the jeep runs and I drive it daily....it just might act up once a day or possibly every 10 minutes while driving. It will start bucking and jumping and sometimes picks back up and drives fine and other times dies and I just shut the key off and crank it again while still rolling. And every time it acts up it gives the same code for CAM sensor. Replaced it yesterday, about to replace CRANK sensor as we speak and have had the battery cable unhooked (positive) for about 2hrs now while I am working on it. I will also try adjusting the OPDA housing like you suggested it looks to be turned clockwise too far if you use engine block as a straight line guide. I appreciate all the information you have provided me! This is for sure the best tool a jeep owner could ever have! Thanks so much and I will let you know as I progress to fixing this problem!
Unread 06-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #14
thirdeye
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My jeep used to do pretty much the same thing. I tried all sorts of things, crank sensor, cam sensor, new ecu blah blah blah. Ended changing the fuel pump out and that solved the problem for me.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thirdeyes-second-tj-1816002/
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #15
msholar
2005 LJ Wrangler 

If all else fails.....that will be the final thing that I try.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.