2005 jeep tj needs help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005 jeep tj needs help

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 09-15-2010, 05:29 PM   #1
Smith
2005 TJ Wrangler 

2005 jeep tj needs help

Hello all, I am having a problem with my 2005 tj 4.0L, i will try to explain as best i can , the most notisable time is in stop and go traffic ,the throttle is supper touchy when trying to keep a steady speed or ajust speed to traffic ?, it also bougs down when accelerating then kicks in , it will also decelerate supper fast after say doing 110 KMS then i take my foot of the gas it slows supper fast with no brake ?? , the has been time where i get 200 kms to a tank of gas and some times like 400 KMS ?? ,

I have replaced all 4 o2 sensors , coolant temp sensor , new plugs , oil/filter , k&n is good condition ,, i have also replaced a couple loose exhaust bolts ,and the problem is still there , this problem is not all thetime , but seems to be getting worst , when its not doing it , the jeep is great ,

I thank you in advance for any help ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
basssolow5
1999 TJ Wrangler 

possibly the map sensor?
colorado jeep club member #730

stimulating the economy one part at a time!
basssolow5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith View Post
Hello all, I am having a problem with my 2005 tj 4.0L, i will try to explain as best i can , the most notisable time is in stop and go traffic ,the throttle is supper touchy when trying to keep a steady speed or ajust speed to traffic ?, it also bougs down when accelerating then kicks in , it will also decelerate supper fast after say doing 110 KMS then i take my foot of the gas it slows supper fast with no brake ?? , the has been time where i get 200 kms to a tank of gas and some times like 400 KMS ?? ,

I have replaced all 4 o2 sensors , coolant temp sensor , new plugs , oil/filter , k&n is good condition ,, i have also replaced a couple loose exhaust bolts ,and the problem is still there , this problem is not all thetime , but seems to be getting worst , when its not doing it , the jeep is great ,

I thank you in advance for any help ,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Not sure I can give you any real help on this other than to say my 2005 Tj has similar jerky responses in stop & go traffic. Indeed, I dread stop & go traffic & these characteristics make it even worse, eh? It's behaved like that from day 1, and I bought it brand new from a dealer in April of 2005. It has a 6sd, so I can mitigate the jerky effects with the clutch, and I do. That said, it still has the factory clutch in it...130k +...

Consequently I, too, am interested in the responses to this thread!
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I personally would suspect your throttle body need a good cleaning.
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
Smith
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I would like too add , the condensation problem out of the tail pipe , i havr=e never seen anything like it ???
i have cleaned the throttle body ,and have a new clutch with 1200 KMS
there is also a lifter noice that comes and goes ??
Unread 09-15-2010, 06:33 PM   #6
Smith
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by basssolow5 View Post
possibly the map sensor?
Is it possable to have a bad map with no codes ???
Unread 09-15-2010, 06:35 PM   #7
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I would like too add , the condensation problem out of the tail pipe , i havr=e never seen anything like it ???
i have cleaned the throttle body ,and have a new clutch with 1200 KMS
there is also a lifter noice that comes and goes ??
It's my understanding that's part of your evap system and absolutely normal. Mine does it, too.
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #8
basssolow5
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Is it possable to have a bad map with no codes ???
it may not have failed compleatly. it might just be reading wrong due to sludge and whatever else inside of it. in which case you will need a new one. ive found that cleaning them usually doesnt cut it.

Unread 09-15-2010, 09:08 PM   #9
jr03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Have you checked the throttle position sensor(TPS)? believe the 05's still have them. A bad connection or bad sensor will give a spikey voltage signal to the computer. A bad crank position sensor could throw the timing off too. The ones on some older Dodges would get a little crack that let moisture in and cause weird things. A bad TPS, MAP sensor, or IAC won't usually throw a code unless they get to the point of effecting emissions. Just some other things to consider Also there are some other threads on 2005/2006 4.0l having some cam problems causing wear on cam syncro gear.

Last edited by jr03; 09-15-2010 at 09:29 PM..
jr03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2010, 08:18 AM   #10
basssolow5
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr03 View Post
Have you checked the throttle position sensor(TPS)? believe the 05's still have them.
thats right. they all did up until the jks of 07. thats when they went to drive by wire. that could also be it.

Quote:
A bad crank position sensor could throw the timing off too.
true, but i personally have never seen one that didnt just cause the whole vehicle to die.

Unread 09-17-2010, 10:05 AM   #11
Smith
2005 TJ Wrangler 

One more thing i have noticed , when my jeep is acting up , it diesels when i shut it off ??? when its not doing this ,, i shuts off fine like it should ?????
Unread 09-17-2010, 11:06 AM   #12
jr03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Dieseling is usually carbon build up in cylinders igniting and burning I think. High idle, too rich mixture at idle are possible contributors to that. There should be an idle air control on your TB that controls amount of air when throttle plate is closed or near closed. A bad IAC can be intermittant and cause or contribute to all the symptoms you described. The IAC trys to adjust air to maintain the rpm the computer wants. I'm just throwing some things out there, there are so many variables with sensors and controls you may need to connect a scan tool to it and watch what some of the readouts are.
Unread 09-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #13
Smith
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Hello All , So i have replaced the MAP sensor , IAC , pulled the throttle body and cleaned it , and i have also pulled the OPDA, to check the sync gear and all looks good , I am still having a little bit of an issue with this problem , it is lacking power some times and really hard on gas and still some times it feel like theres a jake brake on it when i let off the gas (but not all the time ),IM STUMPED

IF any body has any ideas , im all ears !!!!!!!!
Unread 09-23-2010, 01:52 PM   #14
YellowX
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Anybody else think this is a vacuum leak?

JAFGJ
YellowX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2010, 06:58 PM   #15
jr03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I would check the intake manifold and vacuum lines for leaks and the exhaust manifold for leaks/cracks which might make the o2 read lean. Also a bad cat could be cause, maybe partially clogged or have loose piece that is moving around and causing occasional restriction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.