2005 Hesitation and Surging - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005 Hesitation and Surging

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-29-2005, 10:40 AM   #1
houser52

2005 Hesitation and Surging

I have posted on this subject several times since I bought my Wrangler back in May and just wanted to follow up with some comments.

My new Wrangler has been back to my selling dealer twice with hesitation and surging problems. They said everything checks out fine and normal with no codes.

This past week I was on vacation in Myrtle Beach, SC and decided to take it to the 5 Star dealer down there to see if they could find anything wrong. After waiting about an hour and a half, they said it was ready and that it checked out fine and normal with no codes.

I really like my Jeep. Does well as a daily driver and gets good gas milage on a trip(18+ mpg ). Just an all around fun vehicle. Too bad I and a lot of other owners have these problems without a solution.

For now I will either have to put up with the hesitation and surging, wait for the computer to relearn, DC acknowledges there's a problem or trade it.

houser52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2005, 01:01 PM   #2
Ragtop_Rob

I don't mean to get make you have to repeat your self but I am not familiar wiht your issue.

Is it surging all the time or only when a certian temp?

Does it surge at steady throttle or while you are adding more throttle?

Can you make it do it consistantly?

Have you taken a dealer mechanic for a ride to point out to themn when it does it?

Has it done this since day 1?

Is it an auomatic or a stick?

6 cyl or 4?
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara #609 of 1000. 4 speed auto. Sirius Sat Radio, Mile Marker PE8000 Winch, 2" BB from Rocky Road, 32" BF Goodrich Radial TA/KO, RB1 NAV Radio with Ipod Controller
Ragtop_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2005, 01:21 PM   #3
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Almost every new TJ automatic owner than I know has this problem. It is "normal" until DC releases software to correct this problem.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2005, 01:53 PM   #4
houser52

The 6 cyl. engine will surge either cold or warmed up. It's normal idle rpm is 750.

The surging is when trying to hold a slow constant speed in 1st or 2nd gear with the rpms between 1000 and 1250, such as being on a logging road, trail or slow moving traffic between lights. You can try to hold that low constant rpm but can't without having to constantly depress the clutch to stop the surging or bucking. Conditions won't always allow you to run 15-20 mph in 1st or 2nd gear just to keep the rpms up at 1500 or so.

The hesitation is present whether the engine is cold or warmed.
It's most noticable when shifting normally from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd. When you press the accelerator the engine rpms drop then revs up.
It will do this whether the A/C is on or not.

If you are sitting still, idling normally at 750 rpms, out of gear, and barely depress the accelerator, the rpms will drop then rev up.

I did take the service tech for a ride, but he could not feel anything even though I could.
Unread 02-11-2006, 10:50 AM   #5
houser52

Quote:
Originally Posted by houser52
The 6 cyl. engine will surge either cold or warmed up. It's normal idle rpm is 750.

The surging is when trying to hold a slow constant speed in 1st or 2nd gear with the rpms between 1000 and 1250, such as being on a logging road, trail or slow moving traffic between lights. You can try to hold that low constant rpm but can't without having to constantly depress the clutch to stop the surging or bucking. Conditions won't always allow you to run 15-20 mph in 1st or 2nd gear just to keep the rpms up at 1500 or so.

The hesitation is present whether the engine is cold or warmed.
It's most noticable when shifting normally from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd. When you press the accelerator the engine rpms drop then revs up.
It will do this whether the A/C is on or not.

If you are sitting still, idling normally at 750 rpms, out of gear, and barely depress the accelerator, the rpms will drop then rev up.

I did take the service tech for a ride, but he could not feel anything even though I could.
HELP!

It's been months since I started this thread. My Jeep now has 6500 miles and I'm still having the same problems. Still annoying as h#%*.
I wanted to check and see if anyone is having the same problems and if they have a solution. No codes show up.
It's getting to the point where I'd want to sell it if the problem can't be fixed.
I love driving it but hate the performance.

I'd appreciate any help.
Unread 02-12-2006, 02:12 PM   #6
autoX
2004 WJ 

I have had the same problem since day one (hesitation). I checked my plugs and the gap was way too small. Regapped the plugs and the jeep got more pep. Also my hesitation at around 1800 RPM to 2100 is all but gone. I only occasionally feel it. It pulls quite nicely and doesn't seem to loose power in that range.

I too took it to the dealer and they scanned the ECU for codes and said it was fine.

Much better now.

Give that a try.

Pete

04 WJ Limited
Kolak Exhaust, IRO 3 inch lift, adjustable lower front arms, 265/70/17 BFG AT
99 911 C2 Aero
autoX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2006, 07:51 AM   #7
houser52

Thanks autoX. I'll check the gap. What did you gap your plugs at?
Unread 02-13-2006, 08:06 AM   #8
jeeptj19992001

have ya done a computer reset?
Unread 02-13-2006, 11:56 AM   #9
Killian

I have not had this stalling/hesitation that you speak of. My has bucked a few times when I try to keep it in first and drive it down the driveway to the road (~350 feet), but I attribute that to the truck running on too high an rpm (aka my fault).
I have a little over 13,000 miles on mine and have never had it run like you described Hope it doesn't. Hope yours runs better soon.
Unread 02-13-2006, 01:14 PM   #10
autoX
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by houser52
Thanks autoX. I'll check the gap. What did you gap your plugs at?
.035 is the correct gap. Mine where quite a bit shorter than spec when I pulled them.

Pete

04 WJ Limited
Kolak Exhaust, IRO 3 inch lift, adjustable lower front arms, 265/70/17 BFG AT
99 911 C2 Aero
autoX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2006, 02:28 PM   #11
06slvrrubi
Lovin' Life

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have 14,900 miles on mine now, and I did experience the hesitation shifting from 1-2 and 2-3 just as you described, but I hardly ever notice it anymore, maybe it fixed itself, maybe I got used to it????????? I don't know. I think I'm going to check the gap on my plugs now though.

2007 Avalanche LTZ
06slvrrubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2006, 07:12 PM   #12
houser52

Thanks for the plug info.
I have cleared the computer twice and still no help. I figured I wouldn't mess with the computer for awhile.
This whole thing sure is discouraging.
Unread 02-13-2006, 08:49 PM   #13
mike06X

ok houser, so, hows your plug gaps? my 06 x does the exact same thing yours does, and none of my friends jeeps do it, and it drives me absolutely nuts..my friends that have driven my jeep even said man, mine doesn't do that..did it since day 1, not at 6,500 miles, still exactly the same...i am very curious to hear how you made out with your plug gaps..
Unread 02-14-2006, 07:50 AM   #14
houser52

Sorry but, I haven't checked the plug gap yet. I'll post when I get home in time to check them.
Mine has also done it from the first day. I guess I was just nervous and didn't notice it when I test drove it. I would have never bought it if I had.
Unread 02-24-2006, 07:45 AM   #15
houser52

Well, I finally checked the gap on my plugs. They were all right on the money at 35. I cleared the computer's memory again.
It still did not help with my problem. I might try a new throttle position sensor and see if that helps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.