2005 2.4L, is a lift worth it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005 2.4L, is a lift worth it?

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 01-11-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
Wooglin
2005 TJ Wrangler 

2005 2.4L, is a lift worth it?

I have a stock 2005 2.4L 6 spd. I was wondering if a 2.5" lift would be worth it or is the engine just too small to handle it? I drive the Jeep daily now but am going to give it to my son when he turns 16 (in a couple of years). I would love to lift it but don't know if it be too hard on the hamsters under the hood???

Thanks in advance for any input.

Wooglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
77 renegade
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 04 with the 2.4 and the 5 spd tranny.I just installed 33's and a 2.5" Rough Country lift and 5th gear is pretty much usless.But to be honest it isnt bad at all in 4th gear.I have 4.10's but plan on swapping to 4.88's soon to get the use of 5 gear back and have a little better crawl. I dont think it would be bad with 31's or 32's
Unread 01-11-2011, 10:34 PM   #3
Wooglin
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have 31" BFG AT's on it now. I thought about getting a body lift so I could go to 16" rims. I don't know what to do. I don't go wheeling that much but I do like to get it muddy whenever possible. Thanks for your input, I will definitely keep it in mind.
Unread 01-11-2011, 10:38 PM   #4
77 renegade
2004 TJ Wrangler 

with 31's it should be fine but you are going to want bigger tires after the lift. Ask me how I know.
Unread 01-11-2011, 10:48 PM   #5
PITBULL1967
2013 JK Wrangler 

You can lift it, but if you want bigger tires I'd definitly think about regearing the axles it makes a world of difference.

"Workers of the world UNITE! All you have to loose is your chains." Karl Marx.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
Thomas Jefferson.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
Thomas Jefferson.
PITBULL1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2011, 10:53 PM   #6
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooglin View Post
I have 31" BFG AT's on it now. I thought about getting a body lift so I could go to 16" rims. I don't know what to do. I don't go wheeling that much but I do like to get it muddy whenever possible. Thanks for your input, I will definitely keep it in mind.
You're confused. 15" or 16", a 31" tire is a 31" tire. You don't have to go higher to fit a larger wheel. A 31" tire on a 20" wheel is still 31" in diameter. Stick to a 15" rim for cheaper, better rated (C load) tires. There's absolutely no reason to go to a larger wheel unless you're planning on 37" tires or larger and at that point, 17" is the way to go. As for lifting your jeep, go right ahead. You won't notice a power difference since you're not doing anything to soak it up, ie larger tires. If you are lifting it to go to a bigger tire, then you'll notice issues. Luckily for you, the NSG370 6 speed is geared a bit lower and combined with 4.10's, 31-32" tires should provide no issues. The 2.4 will start to struggle with anything larger so you'll want to consider deeper gears for 33+" tires. Go straight to 4.88 for the 4 popper.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2011, 12:29 AM   #7
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
You're confused. 15" or 16", a 31" tire is a 31" tire. You don't have to go higher to fit a larger wheel. A 31" tire on a 20" wheel is still 31" in diameter. Stick to a 15" rim for cheaper, better rated (C load) tires. There's absolutely no reason to go to a larger wheel unless you're planning on 37" tires or larger and at that point, 17" is the way to go. As for lifting your jeep, go right ahead. You won't notice a power difference since you're not doing anything to soak it up, ie larger tires. If you are lifting it to go to a bigger tire, then you'll notice issues. Luckily for you, the NSG370 6 speed is geared a bit lower and combined with 4.10's, 31-32" tires should provide no issues. The 2.4 will start to struggle with anything larger so you'll want to consider deeper gears for 33+" tires. Go straight to 4.88 for the 4 popper.
I agree with this 100% explained very well, the lift will not really effect much and will be fine, don't go to 16s, most tires are only available in D and E load range which don't work well for a Jeep. 15" wheels are what you want to keep, then find a 31" tire.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 06:24 PM   #8
Wooglin
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the answers. I have wanted and found a set of Jeep Rubicon stock rims. I thought those were 16"??? So you are saying I should stay away from those and find another rim I like in 15"? I can do that because my 2nd choice is a set of black rims.
Unread 01-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #9
private

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSpear2023 View Post
I agree with this 100% explained very well, the lift will not really effect much and will be fine, don't go to 16s, most tires are only available in D and E load range which don't work well for a Jeep. 15" wheels are what you want to keep, then find a 31" tire.
You can get 265/75r16 Duratracs in load range C.
Unread 01-16-2011, 10:21 AM   #10
Wooglin
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I am not trying to make mine a Rubi clone but I just love those rims on them. Would you stay away from those since they are 16" or would they be ok for the 4-banger?
Unread 01-16-2011, 10:34 AM   #11
DustinS
2011 JK Wrangler 

No, no sir, the 150ish HP of the 2.4 WILL NOT turn 16" wheels.
Unread 01-16-2011, 10:46 AM   #12
monkeygruven
2004 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/2-...10-5s-1082175/ this thread has some good info in it for us 2.4L owners

The real trail rated badges are located on your skid plates.
monkeygruven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 11:04 AM   #13
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

the moab(rubicon)rims will be fine. its just that 16" tires are usually more expensive. also they are commonly found in only "d" and "e" range. those tires are heavier, and have less sidewall flex. there are alot less sizes available for 16" wheels compared to 15" or 17". to most jeepers its just easier and more cost effective to stay with 15"s. if you really like them and get a good price on them by all means you can run them.

the 2.4L can be lifted and wheeled. if you go to a 33" tire you will want to regear to 4.88 to get back some of the power loss of the taller tires. you next issue will be the dana 35 rear axle. they can break pretty easily. bigger tires wont help this situation. there are fixes to stop this, but it takes a little money.

if you want to keep the jeep for a while(4 to 5 years) i say go for it. i think if your kid is a good student and trustworthy you should lift the jeep and adress the rear axle concerns. he will have a cool toy for school, and it aint fast enough to get him alot of speeding tickets. its better for him to play offroad then on city streets!
all high school students drive crazy now and then. they are pretty safe in crashes, and have a roll bar incase he rolls it. its a much better option then him crashing some econobox. it probably gets fair mpgs compared to other suvs. mine have always been very cheap to insure also.
just food for thought.
good luck.
glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 11:18 AM   #14
JC_Sahara

2000 TJ Wrangler 

2.4l and the 6 speed. Do beat the horse, with 31s you'll will ok, but above that (33s+) you will notice that it will start getting really sluggish on you and your mpg will tank.

As for the Dana 35 statement, for your application, you will be fine. The problem with the axles themselves are maily the 27 spline c-clip axle shafts. When broken, they like to slide out of the axle tube and leave you will 3 wheels and a bad situation. The deal here is how do they break? Most of the time its because of High amount of torque being applied to the rear wheels and or bouncing the rear end trying to get up an obstacle. Also, the housing itself is another point that helps speed up shaft breaking. When the jeep is at an extreme andgle (off road condition) the axle housing is suspect to flexing and twisting which causes more stress on the 27 spline axle shafts. With the 2.4l and 31s you will most likely not see a broken shaft unless you are doing 4lo burnouts on payment..

IMO: Just lift it with small lift and put some 31s on it and call it a day.
Unread 01-16-2011, 11:19 AM   #15
WeezyBlue
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 2.4 + 6 speed with the stock 3.73 gears, a 3.25" suspension lift, 1" body lift, 1" motor mount lift, no tcase drop, and 33x12.5 m/ts on heavy *** 15x8 Cragar Soft 8s.

5th gear is where 6th gear used to be on 30s. I use 5th gear regularly, it holds speed and pulls through 5th just fine. Not a speed demon, but better than you would expect for a 4 banger. 6th gear is only useful at highway speed on flat ground or down hill. I average 17mpg.

I would say definitely do it. People underestimate the 2.4, and they underestimate the 6 speed. I would recommend against running 31" tires though. I found it made 6th gear too long to use regularly, and 5th gear too short. I actually got worse mileage on 31s than I do on 33s.

I have plans to go to 4.88s and 35s in the near future.
WeezyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.