2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 98 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 06-18-2011, 01:44 PM   #1456
Jetscuh
O rly?

My Jeep has a build date of 12-04. I'll be checking my OPDA tomorrow when I perform other maintenance. I'm both curious and nervous

Jetscuh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #1457
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Build date, is irrelevant. If it is a 05-06 model, it has the problem.
Unread 06-18-2011, 03:20 PM   #1458
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by element981 View Post
Well, I got a new ODPA, did the FogMod and here is my report.
*The new shaft is different from the old, meaning the hole in the shaft for the pin is tapered, whereas the old is not.
*When spinning the new one before/after the FogMod, my old one spins night and day better. To the point one good twist equals about 2-3 full turns. The new one only does a 1/2 to 3/4 turn. Any ideas as to why?
*The old still had some form of grease in it; however, it looked like most everyone else except my gear seems to be as it should.
[IMG][/IMG]

I'm guessing here but the new one was probably dry, right? It seems that none of the new ones are pre-lubricated. Also the new one has a new seal & from the grooves in some of the shafts shown in this thread, I'd say they are pretty tight & also lacking lubrication. This will add drag. As far as not spinning after the FOGMod, I'd guess that is from the grease you packed in (& new seal). I don't know what grease you used but any grease is pretty stiff when "cold".

Are the 2 photos of the same shaft but opposite sides? The first one looks pretty black in the bushing area.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2011, 05:19 PM   #1459
element981
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
I'm guessing here but the new one was probably dry, right? It seems that none of the new ones are pre-lubricated. Also the new one has a new seal & from the grooves in some of the shafts shown in this thread, I'd say they are pretty tight & also lacking lubrication. This will add drag. As far as not spinning after the FOGMod, I'd guess that is from the grease you packed in (& new seal). I don't know what grease you used but any grease is pretty stiff when "cold".

Are the 2 photos of the same shaft but opposite sides? The first one looks pretty black in the bushing area.
Actually there was grease (if you can call it that) in there. I was like a hard version of vasoline. I used the amshell of what ever it is called to replace the factory grease.

As for the shafts, they are the same. One is before I cleaned it and the other is after. That black stuff was actually grease and was stuff greasy if you will.
Jarhead Jeep Club member #17
Colorado Jeep Club member #119
July 14, 2008
RIP Danny Dupre SSgt/USMC
element981 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2011, 06:02 PM   #1460
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Actually there was grease (if you can call it that) in there. I was like a hard version of vasoline. I used the amshell of what ever it is called to replace the factory grease.

As for the shafts, they are the same. One is before I cleaned it and the other is after. That black stuff was actually grease and was stuff greasy if you will.
I didn't mean in the reservoir, I meant on the shaft/bushings. I should have clarified that. So far everyone that has gotten a recent OPDA & taken it apart as you did has found the shaft/bushings dry. A great reason to FOGMod them as you did.

The Aeroshell seems to be the grease of choice but as good as it is, it has a high viscosity when "cold" making it understandably hard to spin. That is one of the reasons to pump it in when the engine is warm & running (after the initial installation).

It is hard to tell from the photo but the gear looks really good for the mileage. Is the pattern good all the way around?
Unread 06-18-2011, 08:05 PM   #1461
element981
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
It is hard to tell from the photo but the gear looks really good for the mileage. Is the pattern good all the way around?
Actually the pattern is real good all the way around. When I was swopping in the new one, in the back of my mind I was concerned if the new one will do so well.

You are correct. The new one (shaft/bushing) was bone dry.
July 14, 2008
Unread 06-19-2011, 12:39 PM   #1462
Jetscuh
O rly?

I'm probably missing something here...but why can't you just get a whole new assembly from say...a 2004 and switch it out with the one that is in your 2005 or 2006?
Jetscuh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2011, 12:57 PM   #1463
element981
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetscuh View Post
I'm probably missing something here...but why can't you just get a whole new assembly from say...a 2004 and switch it out with the one that is in your 2005 or 2006?
I am not too smart on this and most likely wrong, but the point should be the same nonetheless. The computer on the 04 and earlier read a different signal from the OPDA (I believe). For example the 04s would be analog whereas the 05+ are digital. That is about the depth and scope as to why.
July 14, 2008
Unread 06-19-2011, 01:02 PM   #1464
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I am not too smart on this and most likely wrong, but the point should be the same nonetheless. The computer on the 04 and earlier read a different signal from the OPDA (I believe). For example the 04s would be analog whereas the 05+ are digital. That is about the depth and scope as to why.
But would the CPS from the 05, fit into the housing on the 04? That would solve the problem, no?
Join the XJ Owners Club | Download the iMarn® iPhone App!
SIRA 4x4 Offroad Association
Rule #1 - No talking about the weather!
Homepage | Jeepspace Group|Twitter!|Facebook
BeachinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2011, 01:04 PM   #1465
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, the '05-'06's went to a different sensor so they're not interchangable
lope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #1466
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachinXJ View Post
But would the CPS from the 05, fit into the housing on the 04? That would solve the problem, no?
No, different design. The '05 sensor wouldn't read the "bug" on the '04 & earlier. What would be nice is if someone would make an adapter that would read the sensor on an '04 and convert the signal for the '05-'06 computer to read.
lope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2011, 01:31 PM   #1467
Slugger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
On a whim, I called Superchips today. Spoke with a very informative engineer who is the Jeep programmer. He was not familiar with our problem. I gave him the link and asked him of the possibility of using an 04 OPDA unit and using a chip to reprogram the 05 and 06 computers to read the signal it gave. He was going to read this link,but felt that they probably would not do anything. He said they were working on 2011 models and ours being only produced for 2 years that they couldn't budget for it.

I'm hoping he will at least be curious enough to look at this link and do a little thinking on his own.
Yes Lope I have thought this all along. Rather than fix this POS new one find a way to make the 04's work with our computers. I have sent e-mails to some folks , but there seems to be no interest. I wish Chrysler would reflash them for us.
Slugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2011, 01:49 PM   #1468
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
*The new shaft is different from the old, meaning the hole in the shaft for the pin is tapered, whereas the old is not....
The new OPDA shafts do not have a tapered roll pin hole. I suppose there is a small chance you have some crazy quality control failure, however all the OPDA's I've worked on (12 now) do not have a tapered hole.

Instead the hole is not always drilled in the center of the shaft. It is sometimes to the side just a bit. What this means is the gear can only go back on one way. If you spin the gear 180° the hole will be off a little. If you don't notice this you can start the roll pin with no problem, but you will soon twist the gear to a point where you will not be able to continue to drive the roll pin in (creating the illusion of a tapered hole).

I normally mark the gear so it goes on the same way and I would encourage FogMODers to do this. If you don't or forget, just make sure before to drive in the roll pin that the gear and shaft hole line up right. If you're unsure turn the gear 180° to see how the hole lines up.
Unread 06-19-2011, 02:22 PM   #1469
06RubiconBlue
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I took mine out today. (2006 Rubicon. 26k miles) iPhone pics are not the best. But I have even wear all the way around, it's pretty heavy to only have 26,000 miles. The cam shaft had a little wear on it as well, not as bad. Looks like I'll be installing a new one soon. The question I have is, when installing the new one, how do you get everything lined up? Just mark new one up like the old one? Please advise. Thanks!
image-1516029937.jpg   image-1577149989.jpg   image-99484864.jpg   image-119769249.jpg  
06RubiconBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2011, 04:47 PM   #1470
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
The new OPDA shafts do not have a tapered roll pin hole. I suppose there is a small chance you have some crazy quality control failure, however all the OPDA's I've worked on (12 now) do not have a tapered hole.

Instead the hole is not always drilled in the center of the shaft. It is sometimes to the side just a bit. What this means is the gear can only go back on one way. If you spin the gear 180° the hole will be off a little. If you don't notice this you can start the roll pin with no problem, but you will soon twist the gear to a point where you will not be able to continue to drive the roll pin in (creating the illusion of a tapered hole).

I normally mark the gear so it goes on the same way and I would encourage FogMODers to do this. If you don't or forget, just make sure before to drive in the roll pin that the gear and shaft hole line up right. If you're unsure turn the gear 180° to see how the hole lines up.
Willy, I really think they purposely put the hole off center making the gear only go on one way. All the replacement gears (including the E05 replacements) only have one hole for that reason. That is better for us since putting a 13 tooth gear on 180 out makes the shaft about 14 degrees off on re-installation. (I know, use the shaft-to-housing marks, not the housing-to-block marks.) Still it is easier if everything goes back as it came out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06RubiconBlue View Post
I took mine out today. (2006 Rubicon. 26k miles) iPhone pics are not the best. But I have even wear all the way around, it's pretty heavy to only have 26,000 miles. The cam shaft had a little wear on it as well, not as bad. Looks like I'll be installing a new one soon. The question I have is, when installing the new one, how do you get everything lined up? Just mark new one up like the old one? Please advise. Thanks!
If you know that you are going to replace your OPDA when you take the old one out - use the TDC method outlined here on the first page. That way you can use the alignment pin that comes with the OPDA to accurately install it.

Take the old one apart first & see how bad the shaft & bushing are. Maybe all you need is to mod yours & replace the gear.

If you do replace your OPDA, you still should disassemble it & mod it or at least lubricate the shaft & bushings. They have zero lube from the factory.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.