2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 97 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-16-2011, 04:21 PM   #1441
ItsMrHall

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonza

I recently fogmodded a spare OPDA and considered fitting a 90 degree zerk in the original fill hole but decided against it as figured that when the grease gun is applied to the zerk there would be a tendancy to push against it with the risk of causing the threads to strip in the soft aluminum body of the OPDA. besides it's easy to drill and tap another port for a flush mounted zerk for a needle grease nozzle in a more accessible position and flush out the prefill crap and any shavings from drilling and tapping
100% agree. That is what I did.

Sent via Homing Pigeon

"No its a tie. That guy doesn't count, he can't even read!"
ItsMrHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2011, 04:42 PM   #1442
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonza View Post
I recently fogmodded a spare OPDA and considered fitting a 90 degree zerk in the original fill hole but decided against it as figured that when the grease gun is applied to the zerk there would be a tendancy to push against it with the risk of causing the threads to strip in the soft aluminum body of the OPDA. besides it's easy to drill and tap another port for a flush mounted zerk for a needle grease nozzle in a more accessible position and flush out the prefill crap and any shavings from drilling and tapping
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMrHall View Post
100% agree. That is what I did.

Sent via Homing Pigeon
I also did & agree. With 2 holes I was able to push an old zip tie through one hole & out the other, both ways to help clean out the old grease. The "teeth" on the tie helped pull the grease out making it easier to flush out the remaining old grease. An update on mine to follow.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2011, 04:47 PM   #1443
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well, this is my 1200 mile report on my modified FOGModed OPDA. I’m trying oil rather than grease to lube the top bushing. When I originally installed it, I filled the oil cup until oil started coming out the newly drilled hole in the bushing before installing the shaft. For the first couple days or so I had to add oil daily to keep the cup full as the level would drop. A small amount of oil came over the top of the bushing but not much & not enough to be thrown about. A little would run down the “low” side of the bushing & into the corner of the housing. I filled it before my recent 986 mile trip exploring the trails to remote vistas on the North rim of the Grand Canyon. It was about half hard surface roads. The rest was a variety of graded gravel to pretty rough unmaintained roads. After returning, I checked the oil level & found that it has not dropped much, if any at all. Again there was a very small amount inside the housing (I had cleaned it before the trip.). I have not pulled it for further inspection yet.

Overall I am very happy with the results so far. I think that the initial need to add oil was because the reservoir was still filling since there was no practical way to completely fill it on assembly without removing the grub screw which is pretty much locked in place. It appears that the seal is holding oil which was my main concern. I purposely kept the oil cup small to keep the oil level below the height of the top bushing to prevent oil spilling over the bushing. That is working as hoped. I don’t mind a little spillage as it indicates that oil is making it up the bushing assuring complete lubrication.

Now for my other beef with Chrysler……….

Does your TJ’s gas tank overflow at the pump? SUBMIT COMPLAINT HERE!

Check this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/...recall-974337/

See what others have found. Enter your yr & model at http://www.arfc.org/complaints/

For those who don't remember my project, here are a couple photos.
p4200150.jpg   p5110138.jpg  
Unread 06-16-2011, 04:53 PM   #1444
ChicagoRod
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I saw this pop up on another thread. Why couldn't you do the same thing and route the tube into the OPDA instead of the block?
p1230545.jpg  

It's the Jeepforum, you WILL understand or someone will help you!

Does your gas tank overflow at the pump? [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/have-fuel-spill-problems-like-many-us-submit-complaint-force-recall-974337/"]SUBMIT FORMAL COMPLAINT HERE! [/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/"]New to the JeepForum? First TJ/LJ? Click here.[/URL]

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Jeep-Wrangler-LJ-Unlimited/238153862870221"]
FaceBook Page for LJ Owners[/URL]
ChicagoRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2011, 05:08 PM   #1445
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRod View Post
I saw this pop up on another thread. Why couldn't you do the same thing and route the tube into the OPDA instead of the block?
You could, but, you'd need to remove the seal that is at the bottom of the top bearing and add a seal at the top. Otherwise, you'd be pumping oil out the top.
Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #1446
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRod View Post
That is a new one. Iíve seen talk of t-ing off the pressure sender then routing to the OPDA. I havenít seen it actually done, just discussions. Interesting that the photo is of a pre-í05 unit. Iím not sure if they are oiling the bottom bushing or the gear. It looks like the gear to me. That would make it a closed system.

The problem with pressurized oiling is that without a seal above the top bushing there is no way to contain the oil. The existing seal prevents oil from returning into the crankcase (closed system). Even with that seal removed, there is less resistance for the oil to go up & out than down past the bottom bushing. See my post above for evidence that even without pressure oil finds its way up. Also see the method dproctor used. A photo is on the first page under ďalternativesĒ. Find his post in this thread to see the issue he had lacking a top seal & everything he had to do to contain the oil. And that was with only gravity feed. That is why I kept mine small & low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney View Post
You could, but, you'd need to remove the seal that is at the bottom of the top bearing and add a seal at the top. Otherwise, you'd be pumping oil out the top.
Agree 100%
Unread 06-16-2011, 05:30 PM   #1447
ChicagoRod
2005 LJ Wrangler 

There was some kind of write up that went with the photo.

http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/vi...+gear+oil+line

It's the Jeepforum, you WILL understand or someone will help you!

Does your gas tank overflow at the pump? [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/have-fuel-spill-problems-like-many-us-submit-complaint-force-recall-974337/"]SUBMIT FORMAL COMPLAINT HERE! [/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/"]New to the JeepForum? First TJ/LJ? Click here.[/URL]

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Jeep-Wrangler-LJ-Unlimited/238153862870221"]
FaceBook Page for LJ Owners[/URL]
ChicagoRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2011, 10:07 PM   #1448
NextJeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

How often are you boys greasing yours? How many pumps. I put 3-4 pumps in mine after 2k miles. It just went right in, no backflow. Made me wonder how much it would take.
NextJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2011, 06:56 AM   #1449
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

3-4 pumps is too much.

I fill the reservoir prior to installation. I coat the shaft prior to installation too so there is something on the entire shaft (I have a groove cut for my lower bushing that collects some grease otherwise the upper seal will wipe the lower portion of the shaft clean).

When I did the FogMOD the first time after it was back together I added grease until there was loading pressure on the shaft and it was tough to spin. That was too much. I relieved the pressure so the shaft would spin okay.

After the OPDA was installed and ran for a couple thousand miles I pumped 2-3 shots of grease using the needle adapter until it was tough to pump the grease. When I removed the OPDA for inspection the shaft was coated nicely however there was a dark patch that I was disappointed with.

Here is a shot of the shaft. Notice the darker area on the bottom portion of the shaft.

My guess is too much pressure/too much grease. Tkki had no discoloration on his upper shaft. Below is Tkki's results (all photos are on the first page along with other result photos).

I reinstalled the OPDA after cleaning the shaft and didn't add any additional grease other than the coated shaft. When installing the shaft the grease will collect along the seal and leave the upper bushing well coated.

I haven't checked it yet, but I think in this case less is more. I wouldn't add more than one pump once or twice a year. Maybe tkki can chime in with specifics on his approach.
Unread 06-17-2011, 07:52 AM   #1450
NextJeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Do you think I should pull it apart again, or just release the pressure by pushing in the ball bearing on the zerk?
Thanks Willy. One would think this thread was your full-time job the way you keep it up. You are greatly appreciated.
NextJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2011, 10:06 AM   #1451
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If it wasn't tight when you filled it you should be okay. If you pumped it until you generated some pressure, you should relieve it. Press the check ball and see what goes out.

I don't mind helping and keeping things organized. Seems a lot of people just start new posts asking questions, but at least it's easy to direct them to the first page. I should probably add the grease pump question to the first page too. I prefer to look at it as a team effort and I'm just here to keep things together.
Unread 06-17-2011, 10:50 AM   #1452
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextJeep View Post
Thanks Willy. One would think this thread was your full-time job the way you keep it up. You are greatly appreciated.
I also agree. Your patience constantly directing newcomers to the first page for info is great. Don't you agree that it is better to pump the grease in slowly with the engine running (& warm)? I would think you would get better grease distribution that way.
Unread 06-17-2011, 10:58 AM   #1453
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
I also agree. Your patience constantly directing newcomers to the first page for info is great. Don't you agree that it is better to pump the grease in slowly with the engine running (& warm)? I would think you would get better grease distribution that way.
Yes. Have the OPDA running and warm. That's how I do it.
Unread 06-18-2011, 01:07 PM   #1454
element981
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well, I got a new ODPA, did the FogMod and here is my report.
*The new shaft is different from the old, meaning the hole in the shaft for the pin is tapered, whereas the old is not.
*When spinning the new one before/after the FogMod, my old one spins night and day better. To the point one good twist equals about 2-3 full turns. The new one only does a 1/2 to 3/4 turn. Any ideas as to why?
*The old still had some form of grease in it; however, it looked like most everyone else except my gear seems to be as it should.
[IMG][/IMG]

Jarhead Jeep Club member #17
Colorado Jeep Club member #119
July 14, 2008
RIP Danny Dupre SSgt/USMC
element981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 01:21 PM   #1455
element981
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I forgot to mention that I have only had my Jeep for about 5 weeks, it has about 56k on it and I would have to assume it has been on normal oil from the get. Lastly, my ODPA was the Rev B and my Jeep had a build date of June 3, 2005.
Jarhead Jeep Club member #17
Colorado Jeep Club member #119
July 14, 2008
RIP Danny Dupre SSgt/USMC
element981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.