2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 95 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 06-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #1411
njjeepthing
2011 JK Wrangler 

OK, so I skimmed some of this thread, and read all of page one. I have an 06LJ that I just bought used with 33k on it. It started having issues today, threw all kind of CPS codes, running rough, CEL...etc This happened as the mechanic finished installing my lift, the Jeep wouldn't start, when it did it ran rough, and anything over 3000RPMs it just dies out. I'm not a mechanic, so some of this tech is spanish to me! I also read the other threads that say no aftermarket part is available yet.

So what do I need to get this thing driveable again? Do the parts from Dodge-wholesale work, at least till Jeep releases something this summer? My jeep can't drive right now, I can't sit around waiting for Jeep to make a part!

Help!

njjeepthing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2011, 07:29 PM   #1412
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by njjeepthing View Post
OK, so I skimmed some of this thread, and read all of page one. I have an 06LJ that I just bought used with 33k on it. It started having issues today, threw all kind of CPS codes, running rough, CEL...etc This happened as the mechanic finished installing my lift, the Jeep wouldn't start, when it did it ran rough, and anything over 3000RPMs it just dies out. I'm not a mechanic, so some of this tech is spanish to me! I also read the other threads that say no aftermarket part is available yet.

So what do I need to get this thing driveable again? Do the parts from Dodge-wholesale work, at least till Jeep releases something this summer? My jeep can't drive right now, I can't sit around waiting for Jeep to make a part!

Help!
There is no "improved" part. You will have to order the same part that failed. You can mod that part or leave it as is and hope it works. Since you have codes and timing issues, I suspect you may be past that point now and may need serious engine help. Was anything damaged during the lift install?
Unread 06-08-2011, 07:35 PM   #1413
njjeepthing
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
There is no "improved" part. You will have to order the same part that failed. You can mod that part or leave it as is and hope it works. Since you have codes and timing issues, I suspect you may be past that point now and may need serious engine help. Was anything damaged during the lift install?
Nope, totally inspected all the work they did, they checked all the usual suspects. Jeep ran 110% when it was dropped off. As I noted, the mechanic noticed the distributor was a bit loose when they started looking for issues, so he thinks someone was already there messing with it. Even after he tightened it and played around with the timing, it just ran rough. He has another 05 in the shop with 90k on it, so they compared some of the readings on the scanner between the two and said nothing really jumped out at him as an issue, other than the CPS error, CEL, etc..

I did forward him this thread for some info, hopefully he will pull the OPDA first thing in the am for inspection. I guess changing the oil isn't a bad idea either to see if there is any metal in there?
Unread 06-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #1414
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Nope, totally inspected all the work they did, they checked all the usual suspects. Jeep ran 110% when it was dropped off. As I noted, the mechanic noticed the distributor was a bit loose when they started looking for issues, so he thinks someone was already there messing with it. Even after he tightened it and played around with the timing, it just ran rough. He has another 05 in the shop with 90k on it, so they compared some of the readings on the scanner between the two and said nothing really jumped out at him as an issue, other than the CPS error, CEL, etc..

I did forward him this thread for some info, hopefully he will pull the OPDA first thing in the am for inspection. I guess changing the oil isn't a bad idea either to see if there is any metal in there?
Why would the distributor be loose? This is the second incident where someone has had trouble after a lift install (I think it was a MML for the other example). That is actually a good thing though since a loose distributor can create timing issues.

You will need to pull the OPDA and inspect for wear. Assuming things are shot, you have to order a new one. You can put it in and cross your fingers. I would recommend doing the FogMOD as added insurance. At this point I'm in a "show me" state of mind with regards to any "new and improved" OPDA's that are rumored.

Follow the instructions for TDC on the first page to make sure the distributor (OPDA) is in the correct position. A tweak to the left or right might set you straight for the short term, but I'd bet the OPDA gear is in bad shape.
Unread 06-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #1415
njjeepthing
2011 JK Wrangler 

Yes, this was a bodylift, and MML install as well as a 2.5 OME kit, all went on at one time.
Unread 06-08-2011, 07:44 PM   #1416
njjeepthing
2011 JK Wrangler 

Not sure why the dist. was loose, but he said the wire loom that connects it was also out of the little holder thing there, so he suspects someone was messing with it.

He said he did play with the timing a bit, couldn't get it to run right.

Hopefully he'll pull it in the am see the damage, get the new parts and I'll be ok.
Unread 06-08-2011, 09:02 PM   #1417
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Not sure why the dist. was loose, but he said the wire loom that connects it was also out of the little holder thing there, so he suspects someone was messing with it.

Hopefully he'll pull it in the am see the damage, get the new parts and I'll be ok.
Remember that the OPDA only adjusts the fuel injector timing. A VERY small amount of movement will throw the codes. The OPDA hold down bolt is very tight from the factory because they don't want people moving it attempting to time the ignition (my opinion) so if it was loose someone must have been "messing" with it. If it turned when doing the lift, that may be your whole problem & the OPDA MAY be OK. It is still a good idea to pull it & check it out. Worst case you may need to find someone with a DRB III scanner to zero it back in. If the wiring was pulled from the holder, it may have turned a lot. The CPS should be at about the 4 o'clock position as a starting point. Definitely try the TDC method Willy has on page 1 first.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2011, 09:07 PM   #1418
ItsMrHall

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Oook,FogMod offically done!

Couple of side notes, 1. I didn't use a thread in grease nipple, instead used a pound in style. Reason being my tap was bottoming out before enough threads could be cut.

and 2. On a more interesting note, after I drilled the hole for the grease nipple and pulled the factory plug out. I decided before I drilled through the bushing, I would plug the grease fitting hole and see if air could get to the shaft somehow. I discovered that oil was "bubbling" out due to air pressure. Normal? others witness this?

Thanks for all the help guys! If it wasn't for this thread I would have never pulled my OPDA, as I was getting zero symptoms. Its a good thing I checked, as from my previous pictures, she was very close to failure!

"No its a tie. That guy doesn't count, he can't even read!"
ItsMrHall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2011, 09:29 PM   #1419
Slugger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Even though you have a 06 it is possible that it was pulled to do the EO5 fix. This was to replace the gear only, supposed to be only on 05's , but I can see a dealer performing it early on to try to solve the problem.
Slugger is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2011, 10:18 PM   #1420
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have an 06LJ that I just bought used with 33k on it. It started having issues today.

Help!
Your still under the 36K mi warranty. Any decent dealers near you? I'd say find one with a good service writer and have them inspect it. Best case (without a moded OPDA) you just have them replace the OPDA for the $100 minimal charge. Your cam may be damaged, though, and they'd have to replace it and lifters, too.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2011, 10:24 PM   #1421
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
Your still under the 36K mi warranty.
Don't forget, the warranty is either 36,000 miles or 3 years, whichever comes first - he's probably out of warranty by time. My Jeep only has 12,500 miles, but it was out by time as well.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2011, 11:31 PM   #1422
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMrHall View Post
Oook,FogMod offically done!

Couple of side notes, 1. I didn't use a thread in grease nipple, instead used a pound in style. Reason being my tap was bottoming out before enough threads could be cut.

and 2. On a more interesting note, after I drilled the hole for the grease nipple and pulled the factory plug out. I decided before I drilled through the bushing, I would plug the grease fitting hole and see if air could get to the shaft somehow. I discovered that oil was "bubbling" out due to air pressure. Normal? others witness this?

Thanks for all the help guys! If it wasn't for this thread I would have never pulled my OPDA, as I was getting zero symptoms. Its a good thing I checked, as from my previous pictures, she was very close to failure!
As Willy says, you need a bottom tap to make the zerk’s threads. Press-in is probably an OK option.

You know, I had the same bubbles when I pressurized mine. They were very small bubbles & hard to judge, but I didn’t think it felt like grease. The bubbles were coming from at or near the bottom of the bushing near the seal. After bubbling for a few seconds they stopped & I could not replicate the process again. I thought it might have been water from my compressor. It took a lot of pressure & the size of the bubbles makes me think that grease would never find its way to the shaft.

It has been noted here that it is better to grease the OPDA with the engine running to better distribute the grease.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2011, 12:17 AM   #1423
azxj91

Thanks for all the info and research!

My question is how do you break in the gear on a new OPDA? Special grease? idle for awhile? special proceedure??

My story..... 05 LJ, 40,000 miles, second owner, no warranty. No problems/ symptoms. Pulled my opda after seeing this thread. Gear has alot of wear, shaft spun freely. I didnt pull the gear and inspect the shaft, just figured it needed replacement. Didnt want to mess with just replacing the gear. Switched from regular valvoline to VR-1 10w-30. Just recieved the new opda that I ordered from dodge wholesale in link on first page. Trying to decide about modding or just taking apart and greasing it. But concerned about breaking in the new gear to not-so-new camshaft gear. Thanks again for all the good info and suggestions!!
azxj91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2011, 02:45 PM   #1424
Slugger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

On a whim, I called Superchips today. Spoke with a very informative engineer who is the Jeep programmer. He was not familiar with our problem. I gave him the link and asked him of the possibility of using an 04 OPDA unit and using a chip to reprogram the 05 and 06 computers to read the signal it gave. He was going to read this link,but felt that they probably would not do anything. He said they were working on 2011 models and ours being only produced for 2 years that they couldn't budget for it.

I'm hoping he will at least be curious enough to look at this link and do a little thinking on his own.
Slugger is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2011, 04:36 PM   #1425
pinche2873
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Question for oil people...what yr did EPA mandate lower ZDDP in non racing oil?,,,have 2006 4.0,bought 09/2009 with 13,000 miles on odometer...has 33,000 now...no problems yet..would higher ZDDP oil make much difference at this point?...been running Castrol GTX 10W-30..have no idea what oil original owner used...was high ZDDP in oil at time this engine was broken in?
pinche2873 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.