2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 92 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 06-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #1366
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
If the dealer isn't going to replace the cam I see no reason to go. You will be frustrated. I don't know the warranty deductible (mine was $100) but they will likely decline knowledge of the situation. If not I've heard reports of the OPDA being listed as electronic and not powertrain (as evident by the search criteria for dealer parts). My dealer said it wasn't covered until I argued with him. He also said the cam gear was fine. I'd expect a lot of headache's. There have been reports of complete cam coverage though so I suppose it's worth a shot.

I think this is a good example of what doing nothing will yield. You are fortunate to have the laughing monkey warning. I wish you luck with the dealer. You have all the info you need to push them. I would also be insistent on a new OPDA not just a gear replacement. The laughing monkey means the bushings/shaft is shot.
I'd say there is definately no harm in trying to get it replaced under warranty.

As I reported in this thread several months back, I drove in to the dealer armed with a pic of the worn gear. They got me in the next day and agreed it needed replaced under warranty. They deteremined the cam was not excessively worn (which was my opinion as well although the limited view you get through the OPDA hole isn't really optimal for evaluation.)

While they had the Jeep, the service tech took the liberty to check it out thoroughly and found a couple other items of concern. They replaced the water pump (evidence of seepage), the front timing cover gasket (minor leak), and inner and outer front axle seals and outer u-joints all under warranty as well. Not bad for a $100 deductable payment.

The level of service can vary tremendously from dealer to dealer so it pays to do some research and find a willing dealer that has a history of good service.

Also, be sure to go in well prepared with what you want to say and have documentation to help state your case, but be sure not to come across as brash or arrogant. Establishing good rapport with the service manager is a good place to start.

Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 09:48 AM   #1367
Fusco
Hey Now

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger

I used logic. When he said it wasn't covered under the powertrain I asked him how an engine component the drives the oil pump wasn't covered under the powertrain. He then told me he would check again and wouldn't you know it was covered. Some here have reported that their dealer said it was an electrical/ignition component.

Once it was replaced I modded it. My warranty was 7/70 and it failed at 60K. The measly 1/12K warranty on the OPDA was not "warm and fuzzy" enough knowing what we all know now.

Also the dealer specifically said the cam gear was okay. I have no reason to trust that and side with others who think that one affects the other. I would suspect your cam gear is worn, but I don't know the lifespan after that point. The OPDA is the weaker sacrificial component. It will wear more severely.
U still have the original CAM?
Fusco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 09:53 AM   #1368
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
Not necessarily if you are still under warranty. Having a modded OPDA could negate your warranty. If you can please get some pics of your OPDA wear.
Agree with this^^^.
Now that my OPDA has been replaced under waranty, it will be covered with its own 12mo/12k mile warranty even if my vehicle warranty expires. If I mod the OPDA, its warranty becomes void.

I'll check it near the end of the 12k miles and if it's worn again I'll get it rplaced again which will then have it's own new warranty. Hopefully there will be an adequate design upgrade next time around if needed.
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 11:40 AM   #1369
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusco View Post
U still have the original CAM?
Still original cam.

With regards to modding the unit, there are varying opinions and I won't say one is better than the other. I made the decision to mod my unit immediately because I felt my dealer was not going to help me further down the line. I took mine out prior to going to the dealer so I knew what was happening. Reading that there are failures with low mileage gave me no comfort with a 12K warranty and a dealer with questionable (at best) service.

From the inspections after the FogMOD I'm completely satisfied at this point with the results. I admit I still expect gear wear and probably at an accelerated rate, but I have no faith in a replacement un-modded unit and my faith in a suitable replacement is fading. No offense to Skinny and the report from the Chrysler rep, but it's all talk at this point. My naturally pessimistic attitude requires a show me, followed by a show me after several thousand miles. The current OPDA is the monster I know.
Unread 06-03-2011, 12:06 PM   #1370
buddastrat
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The only dealer around me, said it'd cost $370 just to pull and check the gears! Its a bit too technical for me to follow all this and check my OPDA and to make sure I realign it right.

I have 13K on my '06, runs great (KOW). The service manager said he'd never heard about this and not to believe everything on the net. Then I told him that Jeep recalled a bunch back in '05. He ignored that, and just asked if I'm having any problems.

I've been wanting to trade for an LJ but it seems I'll have the same issue to deal with. I think they made them in '04, which I understand uses the older design... But I can't find any LJ's for sale.
buddastrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #1371
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddastrat View Post
The only dealer around me, said it'd cost $370 just to pull and check the gears! Its a bit too technical for me to follow all this and check my OPDA and to make sure I realign it right.

I have 13K on my '06, runs great (KOW). The service manager said he'd never heard about this and not to believe everything on the net. Then I told him that Jeep recalled a bunch back in '05. He ignored that, and just asked if I'm having any problems.

I've been wanting to trade for an LJ but it seems I'll have the same issue to deal with. I think they made them in '04, which I understand uses the older design... But I can't find any LJ's for sale.
I thought the same thing, I didn't attempt the mod but pulling the OPDA is very easy and only takes a few minutes. Willydigger's video is on the first page and walks you through each step. Your '06 is still fresh with 13K, I say you have the OPDA modded and switch oils now.
Unread 06-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #1372
Fusco
Hey Now

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
Still original cam.

With regards to modding the unit, there are varying opinions and I won't say one is better than the other. I made the decision to mod my unit immediately because I felt my dealer was not going to help me further down the line. I took mine out prior to going to the dealer so I knew what was happening. Reading that there are failures with low mileage gave me no comfort with a 12K warranty and a dealer with questionable (at best) service.

From the inspections after the FogMOD I'm completely satisfied at this point with the results. I admit I still expect gear wear and probably at an accelerated rate, but I have no faith in a replacement un-modded unit and my faith in a suitable replacement is fading. No offense to Skinny and the report from the Chrysler rep, but it's all talk at this point. My naturally pessimistic attitude requires a show me, followed by a show me after several thousand miles. The current OPDA is the monster I know.
I just confirmed with the dealer that the OPDA and CAM fall under my CPO warranty.

More to come after visit to dealer Monday AM.

Pic's also to follow.
Fusco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #1373
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I had a chance to pull the OPDA out again today with about 2.5 hours on the "reserve" gear. The gear looks pretty good to me - the wear spot is nice and small, the way it should be. The "surface finish" looks similar to the gear in my last post, but after showing that gear to my engineer friend, he thinks it looks OK. He feels that the surface finish is of less overall importance than the size of the wear patch, and both gears that have been run against my new cam have a nice small wear patch. I forgot my memory card in my camera, so we used a friend's camera phone to take the shot, so it's not as sharp as I'd like:

Pardon all the grease on the gear - I realized I wanted to take a pic after greasing the gear, so I wiped a tooth off - you can see the tiny wear spot on the one clean tooth. All of the other teeth have a similarly sized small patch of wear, so no gear runout or other strange stuff going on.

In other news, I picked up one of those "inspection camera" things at HF on Memorial day with the 25% coupon - it's one of those cameras that has a long wand like a boroscope so you can see in tight spaces. Although it can't take any still photos, I was able to snake it around and get a decent look at 2 of the cam lobes close to the OPDA gear, and they both looked great - I could clearly see the nice polished spot on the lobe surface, just like the original cam. Based on this, I feel pretty strongly that I made the right decision to just swap the cam and not worry about the lifters.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #1374
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJP77 View Post

Pardon all the grease on the gear
Grease?! Um, aren't the OPDA, cam, etc. oil-lubricated?
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2011, 03:02 PM   #1375
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
Grease?! Um, aren't the OPDA, cam, etc. oil-lubricated?
They are, but there's nothing wrong with a nice coating of moly grease on the gear when reinstalling. Granted, at this point it's probably not necessary since the gear is broken in, but it makes me feel better. It gets washed off by oil pretty rapidly - probably under 10-15 minutes if the engine is being revved at all.
Unread 06-04-2011, 03:12 PM   #1376
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
They are, but there's nothing wrong with a nice coating of moly grease on the gear when reinstalling. Granted, at this point it's probably not necessary since the gear is broken in, but it makes me feel better. It gets washed off by oil pretty rapidly - probably under 10-15 minutes if the engine is being revved at all.
Just a few squirts of oil would serve the purpose. Any applied grease would likely be virtually gone in seconds (rather than minutes) and will eventually wind up as sludge in the bottom of your pan, though I don't think it'd do any harm.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
Unread 06-04-2011, 03:39 PM   #1377
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
Just a few squirts of oil would serve the purpose. Any applied grease would likely be virtually gone in seconds (rather than minutes) and will eventually wind up as sludge in the bottom of your pan, though I don't think it'd do any harm.
It won't do any harm - if it did, cam manufacturers wouldn't recommend moly lube on all the lobes of a new cam. The stuff I used on the gear was actually Isky cam lube.
Unread 06-04-2011, 03:49 PM   #1378
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It won't do any harm - if it did, cam manufacturers wouldn't recommend moly lube on all the lobes of a new cam. The stuff I used on the gear was actually Isky cam lube.
You're totally right. I failed to pay attention to what type of grease you're applying. Details, details

― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

Unread 06-04-2011, 05:05 PM   #1379
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I had a chance to pull the OPDA out again today with about 2.5 hours on the "reserve" gear. The gear looks pretty good to me - the wear spot is nice and small, the way it should be. The "surface finish" looks similar to the gear in my last post, but after showing that gear to my engineer friend, he thinks it looks OK. He feels that the surface finish is of less overall importance than the size of the wear patch, and both gears that have been run against my new cam have a nice small wear patch. I forgot my memory card in my camera, so we used a friend's camera phone to take the shot, so it's not as sharp as I'd like:

Pardon all the grease on the gear - I realized I wanted to take a pic after greasing the gear, so I wiped a tooth off - you can see the tiny wear spot on the one clean tooth. All of the other teeth have a similarly sized small patch of wear, so no gear runout or other strange stuff going on.

In other news, I picked up one of those "inspection camera" things at HF on Memorial day with the 25% coupon - it's one of those cameras that has a long wand like a boroscope so you can see in tight spaces. Although it can't take any still photos, I was able to snake it around and get a decent look at 2 of the cam lobes close to the OPDA gear, and they both looked great - I could clearly see the nice polished spot on the lobe surface, just like the original cam. Based on this, I feel pretty strongly that I made the right decision to just swap the cam and not worry about the lifters.
Looks good!

Great idea about the inspection camera. I didn't realize they were that small & flexible.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2011, 06:53 PM   #1380
chutta
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone replacing the OPDA should disassemble it and lube the top bushing. My repl was DRY
05x 4.0 6sp 30/35, aussie front, 3.73's, r/c 4"x lift, adv adptr sye, shifter bracket, tw cv ds, 33 t/c skid, 33x12.5 dunlop mud rovers on steelies, psc sport cage/rockers, warn fr bump/steer and 30 diff skid, sirius,cb, hand throttle 1"bl/mml 265/16's pepboys at's on orig moabs for street. Lowrance H20c for gps
chutta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.