2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 90 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday SaNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-30-2011, 08:46 PM   #1336
andrewf09
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I just bought a 2005 unlimited with 32k miles on it and picking it up tomorrow. Now I'm worried.

andrewf09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2011, 09:01 PM   #1337
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Ok...so here's some pics of my cam and OPDA gears with about 2 hours of runtime on them:

Cam:

OPDA gear:

The cam looks fine, but I'm a little concerned about the OPDA - while it's more polished looking than either of my old gears (that were mated to my old cam) it still has a few scratch marks in some of the wear spots.

Because of that, I decided to install my last new OPDA gear that I had in reserve. After I put it in, I let the engine idle for 15 - 20 minutes, based on something someone linked to in one of these threads - it was some comments from a GM powertrain engineer about proper break-in for a distributor gear. Needless to say, the break-in for a distributor gear and a cam seem to be the complete opposite of one another...so how is one supposed to break in a new cam/distributor gear when it seems the correct process for each will destroy the other?

Anyway, I'll put some hours on this one and see how it's doing this weekend. Ugh.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2011, 09:24 PM   #1338
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewf09 View Post
I just bought a 2005 unlimited with 32k miles on it and picking it up tomorrow. Now I'm worried.
If you are the second owner the 7/70 powertrain warranty will still be in effect until it gets to 7 years old. On my 05 that will happen in November of 2012. You do have to have a Chrysler dealer transfer the warranty to you.

Now whether the warranty is worth the paper it's printed on is another story.
Unread 05-31-2011, 08:45 AM   #1339
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I took pictures of my OPDA at 48k and again at 60k. It's hard to tell wear difference because of lighting differences in the pictures. But to me it doesn't look like the gear thickness is significantly thinner in the second picture. What do you guys think?

Unread 05-31-2011, 12:57 PM   #1340
andrewf09
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Just picked up my jeep and the date is 12/04. That sucks.
Unread 05-31-2011, 01:11 PM   #1341
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
All the 2005-06 models are affected. There is no date period. That is all bunk. So yeah that sucks.

Sell it if you don't want to be bothered. Since you are aware of it, make the dealer aware of it. Have them pull the OPDA and inspect it and the cam shaft. Maybe (though extremely unlikely) they will fix both. The common reply is that everything is normal. And while wear is normal, the amount of wear we are seeing on the bulk of these units is premature (arguable that we are the vocal minority).

These are cases that are arguably the normal expected wear with the 2005-06 units. Looking at older OPDA's from 4.0's the wear spot is much smaller.

This is treatable and not the end of the world. How effective the treatment is, is still debatable and the potential is still there for failure at any time whether it's 10K, 50K, or 100K. Break in is likely the problem coupled with lower ZDDP levels than the 4.0 prefers. Presumably the gear and camshaft are the same as pre-2005 units and while they have failures too, it is very uncommon.

Do the FogMOD, change the oil to a higher ZDDP formula (VR1, M1 TDT, ZDDPlus) and monitor the OPDA situation. I think gears breaking is uncommon and catastrophic failure is unlikely if you keep an eye on things. Be prepared to swap the gear every blue moon. Depending on what TJJP77 finds a new camshaft and OPDA may be required.
Unread 05-31-2011, 01:16 PM   #1342
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJP77 View Post
The cam looks fine, but I'm a little concerned about the OPDA - while it's more polished looking than either of my old gears (that were mated to my old cam) it still has a few scratch marks in some of the wear spots.

Because of that, I decided to install my last new OPDA gear that I had in reserve. After I put it in, I let the engine idle for 15 - 20 minutes, based on something someone linked to in one of these threads - it was some comments from a GM powertrain engineer about proper break-in for a distributor gear. Needless to say, the break-in for a distributor gear and a cam seem to be the complete opposite of one another...so how is one supposed to break in a new cam/distributor gear when it seems the correct process for each will destroy the other?

Anyway, I'll put some hours on this one and see how it's doing this weekend. Ugh.
I was really hoping things would look good. Good luck with the next gear.
Unread 05-31-2011, 01:37 PM   #1343
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ask them the date the vehicle was originally put into service. If you are the second owner the warranty goes 7 years or 70k miles from the data it was first registered.
Unread 05-31-2011, 01:49 PM   #1344
njseifrick
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Warranty comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
If you are the second owner the 7/70 powertrain warranty will still be in effect until it gets to 7 years old. On my 05 that will happen in November of 2012. You do have to have a Chrysler dealer transfer the warranty to you.

Now whether the warranty is worth the paper it's printed on is another story.
I had my OPDA, cam shaft, lifters, and oil pump replaced under a transferred original warranty with no issues with the Chrysler dealer.
njseifrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2011, 01:51 PM   #1345
Fusco
Hey Now

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by njseifrick View Post
I had my OPDA, cam shaft, lifters, and oil pump replaced under a transferred original warranty with no issues with the Chrysler dealer.
what was the reason to replace all that?
Fusco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2011, 02:21 PM   #1346
andrewf09
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have a 5yr/70 warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
Ask them the date the vehicle was originally put into service. If you are the second owner the warranty goes 7 years or 70k miles from the data it was first registered.
Unread 05-31-2011, 02:49 PM   #1347
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have a 5yr/70 warranty.
That doesn't sound right. The original warranty was 3/36 bumper to bumper and 7/70 powertrain. You could still be under the powertrain warranty.
Unread 05-31-2011, 03:19 PM   #1348
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

I had the warranty transfer to me upon purchasing mine and it's paid for itself mutliple times over. Just had the OPDA replaced under warranty as well.

Keep in mind you need to be the second owner to be eligible for the transfer.

Keithert is correct that the warranty is 7/70 for the powertrain on an '05. They lowered it the following year, but I've never heard of a 5 year/70k mile ??
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2011, 04:19 PM   #1349
cmceleste
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Another one bites the dust. About 4 months ago I experienced the same problems. I found an older assembly and swapped the opd gear. It worked until this weekend. I'm thinking I should just do the same again to clear the code and get rid of it.

Where can I buy a new gear?

Dealer near me is selling the opda for $180. I'd rather swap a ear again.

Would I need another gasket?
cmceleste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2011, 05:35 PM   #1350
steitsma
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The 7 year 70,000 powetrain only applied to the 2005 year right?? I'm the 2nd owner of an 06 with 55000 miles. Is there anything I can transfer??
steitsma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.