2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 01-23-2011, 10:28 AM   #121
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah it's flush. That was the first OPDA I modded and I put the hole a little high so the grease fitting was hard to put on.

Unread 01-23-2011, 10:31 AM   #122
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lope View Post
Not bad Willy, but tell that gal running the camera she did awesome!
That was very nice of you to say. She'll be glad to hear it. She did a great job.

I also updated the Modification section to include a link to the distributor mod you're working on.
Unread 01-23-2011, 03:56 PM   #123
Zetto

2006 LJ Wrangler 

willydigger,

Is there an alternative grease you can recommend? I am trying to install the FOGMod today but can not find Shell AeroShell 33MS anywhere.
Zetto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #124
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetto View Post
willydigger,

Is there an alternative grease you can recommend? I am trying to install the FOGMod today but can not find Shell AeroShell 33MS anywhere.
Skygeek.com. I would get it from there. Most other "local" grease is too thick. It will take a few days to get it, but it's worth it. It will cost you about $25. It will be enough to last the life of your jeep.
Unread 01-23-2011, 05:15 PM   #125
NextJeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Forgive me, I am about to show my ignorance here. What is the purpose of the grub screw? Couldn't you just leave the factory cap and drill a hole for a zerk under the LDI label? Thanks for the info. I hope to do this next weekend.
--BTW-- That video is great--makes me even more comfortable with tackling this job. MANY thanks.
NextJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 06:13 PM   #126
grnberet2b
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Also wanting to say thanks for this thread. In April 2010 I took my Jeep to the dealer for a strange issue pointing to this assembly as the problem. They replaced it, but Chrysler refused to cover any of the costs, so I ended up paying almost $3200 out of pocket to get the assembly replaced.

7K miles later, I'm experiencing a similar issue, pulled out the OPDA myself (thanks for the video - I wouldn't have felt comfortable any other way!), and found severe wear on the gear. I'm at a loss at this point, I don't feel comfortable making the shaft modifications (don't really have the money), and can't keep throwing money at this.
grnberet2b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 06:13 PM   #127
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

There is a reservoir around the upper bushing. What we do with the grub screw is pull the factory cap out and drill through the bushing into the bore so grease can get into the shaft. Then we put in the grub screw to plug up the hole. After that we drill the hole though only the outer part of the housing, not into the actually bushing and install the zerk. This allows us to A.flush out all the old crap grease in the reservoir and B.allows us to fill up the reservoir with new Aeroshell 33MS grease.

If you wanted to you could just drill a hole on the side all the way into the bore and put a zerk fitting on it. The only problem is when you go to push grease in with a grease gun the pressure WILL pop the factory fill plug out.
In memory of Samantha Sue 1998 to Dec-16-10 at 2:15PM. She may have had 4 legs and a tail but she was the best friend I ever had and helped me through some really tough times. I hope to see her again one day.
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 06:44 PM   #128
NextJeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Got it. Thanks FOG.
NextJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 07:26 PM   #129
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnberet2b View Post
They replaced it, but Chrysler refused to cover any of the costs, so I ended up paying almost $3200 out of pocket to get the assembly replaced.
Dang, did it blow your motor? I hope that wasn't just for the OPDA!
lope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 07:31 PM   #130
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFog View Post
There is a reservoir around the upper bushing. What we do with the grub screw is pull the factory cap out and drill through the bushing into the bore so grease can get into the shaft. Then we put in the grub screw to plug up the hole. After that we drill the hole though only the outer part of the housing, not into the actually bushing and install the zerk. This allows us to A.flush out all the old crap grease in the reservoir and B.allows us to fill up the reservoir with new Aeroshell 33MS grease.

If you wanted to you could just drill a hole on the side all the way into the bore and put a zerk fitting on it. The only problem is when you go to push grease in with a grease gun the pressure WILL pop the factory fill plug out.
Adding this to the Q&A. Thanks again FOG.
Unread 01-24-2011, 07:51 AM   #131
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Updated the Problems section with the "laughing monkey" video made by fropleyquark. Thanks!
Unread 01-24-2011, 07:54 AM   #132
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
Updated the Problems section with the "laughing monkey" video made by fropleyquark. Thanks!
Wow, praying I never have to hear that!
Unread 01-24-2011, 08:13 AM   #133
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Also wanting to say thanks for this thread. In April 2010 I took my Jeep to the dealer for a strange issue pointing to this assembly as the problem. They replaced it, but Chrysler refused to cover any of the costs, so I ended up paying almost $3200 out of pocket to get the assembly replaced.
What did they replace for $3200? I've been thinking that if it were needed a rebuilt engine might cost around $4000 complete. Am I way off base in that amount? Does anyone know what would a rebuilt engine would cost to buy and have installed?
Unread 01-24-2011, 08:37 AM   #134
grnberet2b
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
What did they replace for $3200? I've been thinking that if it were needed a rebuilt engine might cost around $4000 complete. Am I way off base in that amount? Does anyone know what would a rebuilt engine would cost to buy and have installed?
A lot of it was diagnosis labor costs. They drove it, reproduced the issue, flashed the PCM, drove it, reproduced the issue, started ripping the engine apart, found the issue, continued ripping it apart to get to the camshaft because it was also in bad condition, then replaced everything and put it back together. Came out to something like 21 hours of labor all said and done.

I scanned the invoice, you can see it here. Page 2 is just totals.
grnberet2b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 08:49 AM   #135
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
A lot of it was diagnosis labor costs. They drove it, reproduced the issue, flashed the PCM, drove it, reproduced the issue, started ripping the engine apart, found the issue, continued ripping it apart to get to the camshaft because it was also in bad condition, then replaced everything and put it back together. Came out to something like 21 hours of labor all said and done.

I scanned the invoice, you can see it here. Page 2 is just totals.
Did they replace your OPDA when they did all this? Seems odd that you would have severe wear in only 7000 miles if they did.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.