2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 85 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 05-17-2011, 11:01 AM   #1261
bertaman80
2006 TJ Wrangler 

So which oil would you guys prefer to run in your jeeps? The turbo diesel or the Valvoline?

bertaman80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #1262
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

TDT. I can get TDT for $25 for 4 quarts. I have to buy three for two oil changes. That translates to $37 for oil per change and a $5-6 Mopar filter.

I haven't priced the VR1, but I would use it assuming the price was equal or better. With a quick search Amazon has it for $62 for 12 quarts.

ZDDPlus is around $11 per oil change. Assuming you still want a decent ZDDP oil like a Mobil 1 high mileage which cost around $31, it's the most expensive option. This would likely be my last choice.

So with just a quick search (your results may vary):
TDT: $37
VR1: $32
M1HM w/ZDDPlus: $42
Unread 05-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #1263
bertaman80
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I already did the Fogmod and used the Turbo Disel oil so i will probably stick with. I was just wondering what you thought on it because the valvoline was mentioned after I had already switched to the TDT. Thanks for the input
bertaman80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #1264
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Over lunch today I just picked up 6 quarts of VR-1 10w-30 along with a NAPA gold filter and paid $36 before tax. With the NAPA ProSelect filter it would have been about $3 less.
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2011, 01:43 PM   #1265
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertaman80 View Post
I already did the Fogmod and used the Turbo Disel oil so i will probably stick with. I was just wondering what you thought on it because the valvoline was mentioned after I had already switched to the TDT. Thanks for the input
The TDT has reported levels of Phosphorus-1100ppm and Zinc-1200ppm while the VR-1 has Phosphorus-1200 ppm and Zinc-1300ppm.

You are still much better off than any ordinary SM oils that are at the 800/900ppm range.

A plus to the VR-1 is it is available in the 10w30 weight that it recommended for the 4.0 while the TDT is a heavier weight 5w40.

The plus to the TDT is that it is synthetic which means a possible longer drain interval, but with the lower levels of zddp I wouldn't run it much longer than a dino oil. Remember those zddp levels drop with usage.

In addition, it is advisable to periodically check manufacturers specs as formulations do change.

As an example the Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w30 that I used to run now has lower levels of 900 Phos. and 1000ppm Zinc. They used to be 1200 Phos and 1300ppm Zinc.
Unread 05-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #1266
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8n View Post
A plus to the VR-1 is it is available in the 10w30 weight that it recommended for the 4.0 while the TDT is a heavier weight 5w40.

The plus to the TDT is that it is synthetic which means a possible longer drain interval, but with the lower levels of zddp I wouldn't run it much longer than a dino oil. Remember those zddp levels drop with usage.
As an example the Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w30 that I used to run now has lower levels of 900 Phos. and 1000ppm Zinc. They used to be 1200 Phos and 1300ppm Zinc.
Bobtheoilguy.com does a good job on keeping results updated. I also have a tendency to look at product guide dates to see if they are current.

The TDT is simply more convenient for me to grab at Walmart. Also, in the Baltimore area AdvanceAutoParts is having a Mobil 1 oil change special that includes the TDT and filter for $32 (you'll have to spot the other quart as normal for the 4.0).

I agree about the interval time. I would still do 3000-5000 miles depending on driving habits. I'm not very comfortable leaving the oil in longer especially with our OPDA.

Also note the TDT being a diesel oil hybrid has increased detergents that should be beneficial.

I don't know that the 40 weight is that big a deal. If I remember correctly talking to Slugger, he has a neighbor that has a Jeep with over 100K and no OPDA issues and they were using a diesel oil. Slugger correct me if I'm wrong. The lower 5 may be better in the cold months for sure. Prior to finding out about the OPDA I was using a 5w30. When we start getting into 20w50 diesel oil I would be cautious.

Overall I agree that the VR1 is a suitable oil and if give the ease of access I would likely choose it over the TDT. Ultimately I think any of the three choices is fine.

All that said, I'm learning all this as I go. If you'd have talked to me 5 years ago I would be putting anything in the engine that was on sale that week. How times have changed. I've gone from a $20 oil change to a $40 change.
Unread 05-17-2011, 06:01 PM   #1267
yellowismellow
rubber duck sicko!

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I've been running amsoil 10w30 synthetic since mile 1. I have not had any symptoms, and haven't even checked my pods. 57k miles.
Unread 05-17-2011, 06:15 PM   #1268
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowismellow View Post
I've been running amsoil 10w30 synthetic since mile 1. I have not had any symptoms, and haven't even checked my pods. 57k miles.
Why not check it? I did Pizzle's OPDA with 50K and no symptoms and found a shot gear and scorch marks on the upper shaft. The shaft is on the first page. Below is the gear. Just because you have no symptoms doesn't mean you're out of the woods. The OPDA may not squeal before failing.

Unread 05-17-2011, 06:30 PM   #1269
Slugger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
Bobtheoilguy.com does a good job on keeping results updated. I also have a tendency to look at product guide dates to see if they are current.

The TDT is simply more convenient for me to grab at Walmart. Also, in the Baltimore area AdvanceAutoParts is having a Mobil 1 oil change special that includes the TDT and filter for $32 (you'll have to spot the other quart as normal for the 4.0).

I agree about the interval time. I would still do 3000-5000 miles depending on driving habits. I'm not very comfortable leaving the oil in longer especially with our OPDA.

Also note the TDT being a diesel oil hybrid has increased detergents that should be beneficial.

I don't know that the 40 weight is that big a deal. If I remember correctly talking to Slugger, he has a neighbor that has a Jeep with over 100K and no OPDA issues and they were using a diesel oil. Slugger correct me if I'm wrong. The lower 5 may be better in the cold months for sure. Prior to finding out about the OPDA I was using a 5w30. When we start getting into 20w50 diesel oil I would be cautious.

Overall I agree that the VR1 is a suitable oil and if give the ease of access I would likely choose it over the TDT. Ultimately I think any of the three choices is fine.

All that said, I'm learning all this as I go. If you'd have talked to me 5 years ago I would be putting anything in the engine that was on sale that week. How times have changed. I've gone from a $20 oil change to a $40 change.
Yea most modern diesels from pick-ups to heavy equipment now use 15/40 for economic reasons,you can buy in bulk for all your uses. The 15w winter rating is probably a little thick for cold morning starts.The idiot oil gauge doesn't help you get a feel for how quick the pressure comes up.

You have to shop a little more to find 10/30 diesel oils, but I wouldn't use anything heavier.
Slugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2011, 07:23 PM   #1270
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Heed Willy's advice and at least check yours out.

I used Mobil 1 High Mileage (the previous high zddp stuff) for nearly all of my Heeps 65k miles with no symptoms either. Pulled mine after seeing these threads a couple months back and my OPDA drive gear was worn to the point you could shave your beard with the razor sharp teeth.

You have nothing to lose by checking it out, but catching a possible failure to gain.
Unread 05-17-2011, 07:44 PM   #1271
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post

I agree with your assesment and I'm not against TDT at all. I too used TDT once I found the Mobil 1 HM formula I had used for a couple years had been changed.
The choice between the TDT and VR-1 was six of one, half-dozen of the other (oil pan capacity pun intended) I went with the VR-1 soley because it had a tad higher Zinc and Phosphorus levels.

The fact the TDT is a synthetic pretty much squelches concerns regarding it's higher viscosity.

I feel they are the two best choices remaining in the market (along with a couple of the higher dollar designer oils) for flat tappet cam engines.

Just to clarify a couple points here regarding these two oils:

1) Mobil 1 TDT does not have exceesively high detergent levels like most other diesel oils.
It is fine to use in a gas engine and Mobil supports and advertises this fact.

2) Valvoline VR-1 does not lack detergent levels like most actual true racing oils do.
It is fine to use for street driven passenger vehicles for normal drain intervals. Valvoline supports and advertises this fact.
Unread 05-17-2011, 08:51 PM   #1272
yellowismellow
rubber duck sicko!

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I used Mobil 1 High Mileage (the previous high zddp stuff) for nearly all of my Heeps 65k miles with no symptoms either. Pulled mine after seeing these threads a couple months back and my OPDA drive gear was worn to the point you could shave your beard with the razor sharp teeth.

You have nothing to lose by checking it out, but catching a possible failure to gain.
I plan on checking it within the next few weeks. Im just a little nervous as to what im gonna find, considering it's my DD and the dealers aren't covering this issue(correct?).
Unread 05-17-2011, 09:08 PM   #1273
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I plan on checking it within the next few weeks. Im just a little nervous as to what im gonna find, considering it's my DD and the dealers aren't covering this issue(correct?).
Dealer covered mine under the transferable 7/70 powertrain. Did a bunch of other work they thought worthy under warranty while it was in there.
Unfortunately for some however, not all dealers are on the same page as far as coverage goes.

If your local dealer denies it, I highly suggest you contact your regional representative and tell them some folks are infact getting this covered and provide them with a link to this site including the discussion of possible lawsuit over the issue.
Unread 05-18-2011, 07:03 AM   #1274
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Dealer covered mine under the transferable 7/70 powertrain. Did a bunch of other work they thought worthy under warranty while it was in there.
Unfortunately for some however, not all dealers are on the same page as far as coverage goes.

If your local dealer denies it, I highly suggest you contact your regional representative and tell them some folks are infact getting this covered and provide them with a link to this site including the discussion of possible lawsuit over the issue.
The dealer covered mine for $100 deductible after arguing. I would expect them not to cover you and you should plan for that result. Contact Bobby at Dodgewholesale.com (first page) and find out the availability. They are $260 and the stock is unknown. From the dealer it will be over $300.

Everything you need is on the first page and if you have any questions let us know. I hate hearing stories of guys losing their Jeeps over this. It's treatable. The faster you act the better chance you have.

Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones. Check to be sure.
Unread 05-18-2011, 07:13 AM   #1275
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I wouldn't call that bad wear. I've seen worse in pics.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.