2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 82 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Iron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCKJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREE

Unread 05-12-2011, 08:44 AM   #1216
surfcat2000
2006 LJ Wrangler 

noise

My exhaust flange loosens up from time to time and the system wiggles back and fourth. I tighten it about every 8k miles. I wonder if you could be getting a leake from there causing a tick. it takes a 15mm on a swivel to get at some of the heads. Jeff

surfcat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2011, 04:23 PM   #1217
ChuckT6
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzle View Post
I thought the factory called for 10w30? Reason I'm asking is because I switched to the 5w40 TDT Mobil after Willydigger modded my OPDA.

I'll be pulling my OPDA soon (maybe this weekend) to check for wear since it's been about 3K miles since it was modded. Will post the results.
The 2.4 l engine calls for 5-30 while the 4.0 l calls for 10-30 according to my 2006 owners manual.
Unread 05-12-2011, 06:24 PM   #1218
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

There is a special going on for Valvoline VR1 Synthetic Racing Oil were there is a rebate for up to $50 for a case (6qts) of oil. That's effectively free.

http://www.valvolinevr1racingoil.com/

I'm going to try it tonight and see if it's legit. They normally run around $9/qt.
Unread 05-12-2011, 07:25 PM   #1219
BigBearAuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
There is no date range of affected OPDA's. The TSB may claim that and Chrysler may say it, but don't for a second believe it. All the OPDA's for 2005-06 are the same. There is no difference in revisions. IMO, they all are faulty and they will all fail. There have been reports that some OPDA's do have a way for grease to get in. Maybe that is true, but I have yet to see it. Maybe the difference in oil will prolong it, maybe there is a defect that allows grease past. Putting a hole in the bushing is one way to be absolutely sure. I will update the post shortly with this point.

Look at it now. Some last a while (mine lasted 60K) some blow up at 15K. Some give warning (mine squeaked) and some surprise you with a drop in oil pressure and a new motor. It takes 20 minutes to pull it. If you have the wear, buy a new one and make the mod. If you don't have the wear, take a picture so I can post it.
As of May 2011 there has been no change to the OPDA. My client just had to replace the engine in her Jeep with only 88K. When I asked the dealership about this issue cause there was no wa to rebuild the 4.0L with oversized piston and rings they said they was not noticing this issue. Now after reading through these post I can see how wrong they have been. Seems to me that there is a MAJOR issue with this part failing at any time and if your lucky and it happens when your paying attention you maybe able to save the engine, but at highway speeds in bad weather there was no hope of that happening for this Client. Best of luck to all in their fight with Chrysler to do the right thing.
BigBearAuto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #1220
pizzle
2008 JK Wrangler 

OPDA Results after 3K of use

Ok, here is a pic of my gear that's been FogModded by willydigger. I've been running the 5w40 Mobil TDT oil since the mod. I was unable to get to the upper bushing because I didn't have a 3/16" punch to remove the gear.

I'm a little bummed to see the wear marks on the gear, but they're not nearly as bad as my prior gear (willydigger used pics of my original gear in the early part of this thread). Although the prior gear had 50K on it. This one only has 3K. We'll see what it looks like after another 5K.

Thanks.

Update 5/15:
Here is a pic of the upper shaft. The unit spun freely before I took it apart to check the shaft. All in all, it looked pretty good. I cleaned it up with some 1000 grit paper and reinstalled everything. I guess I'll check it again in 3-5K miles.
opda2.jpg   opda1.jpg  

Last edited by pizzle; 05-15-2011 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: uploaded pic of OPDA shaft
pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2011, 08:25 PM   #1221
JeepScrap
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzle
Ok, here is a pic of my gear that's been FogModded by willydigger. I've been running the 5w40 Mobile TDT oil since the mod. I was unable to get to the upper bushing because I didn't have a 3/16" punch to remove the gear.

I'm a little bummed to see the wear marks on the gear, but they're not nearly as bad as my prior gear (willydigger used pics of my original gear in the early part of this thread). Although the prior gear had 50K on it. This one only has 3K. We'll see what it looks like after another 5K.

Thanks.
Thanks for posting a 3k update. I'm very curious to see how those fogmods are holding up. Did you have cam gear wear when you replaced your opda?

Sent from my Droid using JeepForum
Unread 05-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #1222
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

That is normal wear. That is the type of wear I would expect. The cam and OPDA gear will grind against each other. As long as the shaft spins well and the teeth thickness of the OPDA gear is solid, there should be no issues. If the wide pattern appears we'll be certain the FogMOD will not help wear. That said the FogMOD will still reduce friction on the upper bushing which results in laughing monkey/binding.

Also remember the OPDA gear should take the brunt of damage as the sacrificial gear. I would be curious how the upper bushing is doing.
Unread 05-13-2011, 08:38 PM   #1223
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTGTrucks View Post
...this morning when I started it up to go to work, I heard a ticking sound and quick glanced down at oil pressure and it was low. I instinctively shut it off. May have not had chance to build pressure (maybe 4-5 seconds) but ticking sound was as soon as motor started. Motor has 50000 miles. It was 60 out so cold isn't an issue. When I started it back up all was well and oil pressure looked fine. I can't see the oil making that much difference although this and the filter (NAPA Gold) are the only changes. I read on another thread where someone else had this issue last year after switching to 10w30 (no brand stated) but no good replys to explane it....Any ideas??
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutta View Post
I've had the same, lasting maybe a second only immediately at start up and maybe three times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRod View Post
I have the same issue happen a couple times a week minus the low oil pressure. My Jeep actually is missing along with the tick. I cure it it every time with a quick shut off and restart, sometimes while driving down the road. I have NO IDEA why this cures it, there are threads that talk about this as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseplate View Post
Mine has the random tick on cold starts occasionally...same deal, shut off and restart and it's gone. I have a ticking sound like an exhaust leak as we'll.....

I was thinking a sticky lifter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfcat2000 View Post
My exhaust flange loosens up from time to time and the system wiggles back and fourth. I tighten it about every 8k miles. I wonder if you could be getting a leake from there causing a tick. it takes a 15mm on a swivel to get at some of the heads. Jeff
It doesn't sound like exhaust because it would take more than a few seconds to heat up enough to go away.

If the ticking is consistent enough (like every time when cold), the best way to test the lifter(s) is to take the valve cover off & test each rocker to see if any are loose. None should have clearance if the lifters are holding oil properly.

If a lifter collapses enough (leaks down), you can definitely get a brief miss-fire. I would think that a lifter will pump up quickly & the ticking would quiet even without re-starting the engine.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2011, 09:00 PM   #1224
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Here is an update to my modified FOGMod using oil.

I got my Crown gear today from 4 Wheel Parts. Iím going to wait on replacement until the next time I pull my OPDA. That will be when I get some more miles on it. So far I have about 200 miles since installing it with the oil cup mod. After lubing the shaft, I added oil (ZR1) to the cup until it started to run out of the hole that was drilled through the bushing. I then inserted the shaft & installed the gear. After dropping the OPDA into the engine I filled the cup. The next day (20 miles) I noticed the oil was down about half way in the cup. I re-filled it. The next day, same thing. I thought that this wasnít going to work if I had to add oil every day. My primary concern all a long has been whether the seal will hold the oil. I decided to leave it down & see what happens. For the next week the level didnít drop any further. I pulled the cap & found a little oil inside. To me thatís a good sign that the bushing is getting fully lubricated. Iím hoping that by leaving the oil level where it is that oil will not continue to come out of the top. Iím back in CA now so the Jeep wonít be driven for awhile but in June it will be taking me to explore the trails around the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. That will be a good test for everything. I will post results after that.
p4200150.jpg   p5110138.jpg  
Unread 05-13-2011, 09:17 PM   #1225
pizzle
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepScrap View Post
Thanks for posting a 3k update. I'm very curious to see how those fogmods are holding up. Did you have cam gear wear when you replaced your opda?

Sent from my Droid using JeepForum
I don't think I had cam gear wear that was too severe. It was difficult to see the gear, but I think it was OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
That is normal wear. That is the type of wear I would expect. The cam and OPDA gear will grind against each other. As long as the shaft spins well and the teeth thickness of the OPDA gear is solid, there should be no issues. If the wide pattern appears we'll be certain the FogMOD will not help wear. That said the FogMOD will still reduce friction on the upper bushing which results in laughing monkey/binding.

Also remember the OPDA gear should take the brunt of damage as the sacrificial gear. I would be curious how the upper bushing is doing.
Thanks for the feedback regarding the gear wear. I'll inspect the upper bushing when I get the gear removed and I'll post the pics.
pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2011, 09:32 PM   #1226
SilverTJMike
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I was changing my rear main seal and took a picture of my gear and cam while I was in there. After perusing here I think I know what to look for and would get a better picture next time which I hope will be another 70k miles

It looks to be just standard wear but I'll pull it out later, never had a squeel, 67k miles.
img_1428.jpg  
SilverTJMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2011, 09:35 PM   #1227
SilverTJMike
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Damn that's a big picture, sorry about that, need to rtfm apparently
SilverTJMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2011, 09:55 PM   #1228
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Pizzle, that gear wear looks normal to me also and it looks like it's wearing in the center of the gear (from top to bottom) which is a good sign as well.

Rubi4MyMrs, I made a lawn mower using old reel push mowers. I removed the handles and made a frame to mount the mowers into a "gang" that I pull behind my lawn tractor like they use on golf courses. Anyway, these old mowers have the spring capped oilers like you used, to oil the reel bearings and I thought it would be a possible good solution for the OPDA's because I feel oil is a better solution than grease for the upper bushing. I just didn't do enough research to find where to source the oil cup so you beat me too it.

But I'm glad you did and that you shared it here so I could get the parts and try this myself.

The next time you pull it I would also be interested if there is a way to tell if the oil seal is preventing oil from running down the shaft. Of course, if the level stays consistent in the cup, it must be holding up fine. Keep us posted!
lope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2011, 10:03 PM   #1229
surfcat2000
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
Here is an update to my modified FOGMod using oil.

I got my Crown gear today from 4 Wheel Parts. Iím going to wait on replacement until the next time I pull my OPDA. That will be when I get some more miles on it. So far I have about 200 miles since installing it with the oil cup mod. After lubing the shaft, I added oil (ZR1) to the cup until it started to run out of the hole that was drilled through the bushing. I then inserted the shaft & installed the gear. After dropping the OPDA into the engine I filled the cup. The next day (20 miles) I noticed the oil was down about half way in the cup. I re-filled it. The next day, same thing. I thought that this wasnít going to work if I had to add oil every day. My primary concern all a long has been whether the seal will hold the oil. I decided to leave it down & see what happens. For the next week the level didnít drop any further. I pulled the cap & found a little oil inside. To me thatís a good sign that the bushing is getting fully lubricated. Iím hoping that by leaving the oil level where it is that oil will not continue to come out of the top. Iím back in CA now so the Jeep wonít be driven for awhile but in June it will be taking me to explore the trails around the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. That will be a good test for everything. I will post results after that.
Most of the farmers in Southern Utah use a oil reservoir with a sight glass drip system on their wells. Your Mod would be great if you could meter the drip into it with a sight glass and petcock system. I had that type of system to oil the bearings on my Judson supercharger on my bug eyed Sprite in the mid 60's. I used Marvel Mystery oil. it came with the supercharger. Jeff
surfcat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2011, 11:57 PM   #1230
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I’m glad I am able to send some of you guys down memory lane. I also remember oil cups from back when, but in my place in the Nevada desert I have a “modern” swamp cooler that uses them on the squirrel cage bushings & I oil them yearly.

I saw the sight glass oilers too but 2 things I wanted to accomplish were not consuming oil (into the crankcase) & not having to seal the top of the bushing or the entire top of the housing like dproctor had to do. That is why I kept the cup small & below the level of the top of the top bushing. As I posted earlier, the merits of this mod are yet to be determined but so far I’m satisfied. I’ve said all along that I want this to be low maintenance. If it isn’t, I’m FOFModding it.

As some who have been following this thread know, my TJ had the OPDA apart for the E05 gear replacement. After 6 yrs & 25,000 miles, I took it apart & found the top of the shaft to have an oil film still on it. Apparently the tech that replaced the gear oiled the shaft before reinstalling it. The fact that oil remained there tells me that not a lot of oil is required to maintain the bushing. My shaft had some discoloration but was not scored at the top like some.

BTW Lope, didn’t you try removing the seal? I never saw you post how that worked out. Did the engine oil get to the top?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.