2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 80 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 05-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #1186
surfcat2000
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm sure this question has been asked but why don't you take the sensor out while the OPDA is still in the engine that way you don't have to mess with the shavings and the connector. I took out mine 2 times to check it and then once more to do the modification when I got the grease. Each time I just pulled the sensor out and left it attached to the harness. I put a drop of loctight on the sensor bolt the last time. Jeff

surfcat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2011, 07:59 PM   #1187
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I took mine out when I modded it as well.
lope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2011, 11:25 PM   #1188
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfcat2000 View Post
I'm sure this question has been asked but why don't you take the sensor out while the OPDA is still in the engine that way you don't have to mess with the shavings and the connector. I took out mine 2 times to check it and then once more to do the modification when I got the grease. Each time I just pulled the sensor out and left it attached to the harness. I put a drop of loctight on the sensor bolt the last time. Jeff
I agree, I removed the CPS as well. I'm not sure loctight is a good idea, though. I actually used anti-seize on the threads. I even used anti-seize on the cap bolts. I think it is always a good idea to do that any time there are steel threads into aluminum.

Update.

I have been waiting for a Crown gear from 4WD Parts. Crown has been temporarily out of stock. One is now on its way but I wasn’t able to wait another week. I dropped the OPDA back in using the old gear. I didn’t turn the engine with the OPDA out so I could only see a couple of teeth on the cam gear but they look surprisingly good considering the gear’s wear pattern. I changed to VR1 10-30. I fired it up. NO CODES! I will now start checking the oil consumption in the OPDA & report on that soon.

A note on the VR1. I used 10-30 as recommended for the 4.0 & had to have O’Reillys order it. Even though it was a “special order” from their local warehouse, they gave me the $2.99 sale price. I’m happy about that. The guy there said it was a new product so they haven’t stocked it yet. I noticed there is no API seal. It does state that it “exceeds engine protection requirements for API services SM/SL/CD and all preceding API gasoline categories”. Checking Valvoline’s Product Information; I see that as of 12/6/2010 the 20-50, 30, 40 & 50 meets API SN/SM/SL but not the 10-30 or 60. I also verified that the 20-50, 30, 40 & 50 have the API seal, while the 60 also does not. Not sure what that all means but I’m still trying it.
Rubi4MyMrs is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2011, 06:24 AM   #1189
roundlitefan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
A note on the VR1. I used 10-30 as recommended for the 4.0 & had to have O’Reillys order it. Even though it was a “special order” from their local warehouse, they gave me the $2.99 sale price. I’m happy about that. The guy there said it was a new product so they haven’t stocked it yet. I noticed there is no API seal.
I wish!! My NAPA is the only place that carries it locally and it is $8.39 a quart!
roundlitefan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2011, 06:40 AM   #1190
Slugger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

As Rubi4 said, "A note on the VR1. I used 10-30 as recommended for the 4.0 & had to have O’Reillys order it. Even though it was a “special order” from their local warehouse, they gave me the $2.99 sale price. I’m happy about that. The guy there said it was a new product so they haven’t stocked it yet. I noticed there is no API seal. It does state that it “exceeds engine protection requirements for API services SM/SL/CD and all preceding API gasoline categories”. Checking Valvoline’s Product Information; I see that as of 12/6/2010 the 20-50, 30, 40 & 50 meets API SN/SM/SL but not the 10-30 or 60. I also verified that the 20-50, 30, 40 & 50 have the API seal, while the 60 also does not. Not sure what that all means but I’m still trying it."

10-30 is rated SM/SL/CD, as I understand from the oil blogs Valvoline is walking the line by advertising it as a racing oil, not a street oil. I guess that way they protect themselves if a consumer has a cat converter problem.
Slugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2011, 07:30 AM   #1191
surfcat2000
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Loctight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
I agree, I removed the CPS as well. I'm not sure loctight is a good idea, though. I actually used anti-seize on the threads. I even used anti-seize on the cap bolts. I think it is always a good idea to do that any time there are steel threads into aluminum.

Update.

I have been waiting for a Crown gear from 4WD Parts. Crown has been temporarily out of stock. One is now on its way but I wasn’t able to wait another week. I dropped the OPDA back in using the old gear. I didn’t turn the engine with the OPDA out so I could only see a couple of teeth on the cam gear but they look surprisingly good considering the gear’s wear pattern. I changed to VR1 10-30. I fired it up. NO CODES! I will now start checking the oil consumption in the OPDA & report on that soon.

A note on the VR1. I used 10-30 as recommended for the 4.0 & had to have O’Reillys order it. Even though it was a “special order” from their local warehouse, they gave me the $2.99 sale price. I’m happy about that. The guy there said it was a new product so they haven’t stocked it yet. I noticed there is no API seal. It does state that it “exceeds engine protection requirements for API services SM/SL/CD and all preceding API gasoline categories”. Checking Valvoline’s Product Information; I see that as of 12/6/2010 the 20-50, 30, 40 & 50 meets API SN/SM/SL but not the 10-30 or 60. I also verified that the 20-50, 30, 40 & 50 have the API seal, while the 60 also does not. Not sure what that all means but I’m still trying it.
It looks like mine had blue loctight on the bolt from the factory. I've been working on alloy engine cases for 40 years and used it with no problems. I use anti seize on spark plugs though. Jeff
Unread 05-07-2011, 08:59 AM   #1192
njseifrick
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundlitefan View Post
I wish!! My NAPA is the only place that carries it locally and it is $8.39 a quart!
Got mine at Amazon.com. $5.22 / qt. No shipping charge.
njseifrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2011, 02:49 PM   #1193
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundlitefan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by njseifrick View Post
Got mine at Amazon.com. $5.22 / qt. No shipping charge.
Yes the $2.99 is a great price. I got enough for about 3 yrs. I got the flyer with our Sunday paper. It was an 8 page ad. Online the ad was only 4 pages. The VR1 was on a page missing from the online version. I assumed that the VR1 was a local or regional sale. Here (CA/NV) the regular O’Reilly price is $4.89 so you may want to check there. (it’s conventional, not synthetic)
Unread 05-07-2011, 02:59 PM   #1194
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfcat2000 View Post
It looks like mine had blue loctight on the bolt from the factory. I've been working on alloy engine cases for 40 years and used it with no problems. I use anti seize on spark plugs though. Jeff
You are right about loctight, mine had it on the CPS bolt as well. Chrysler really didn’t want us messing around in there. In the FSM they emphasize not to turn the OPDA to try to adjust the timing. Look how tight they have the hold down bracket bolt. Mine even has the threads scored to make removal extra difficult. The cap bolts on mine were really tight too, no need for that.

Jeff, you have experience with loctight & that’s good. I just wanted to caution anyone not familiar with loctight type products.

To me, loctight is for more or less permanent installation, not when regular removal is required. Sure they have various grades some less “permanent” than others. Still, its aluminum & I don’t think the CPS is going to fall out if the bolt is tightened a reasonable amount.

I figured that since I plan on checking it occasionally, I don’t want problems with the aluminum threads. Like sparkplugs in aluminum heads, galling is always a potential problem with aluminum engine parts because of the heat, different expansion rates, & relative softness of the aluminum.

This brings up a good point if anyone removes the CPS before pulling their OPDA.

Anyone removing the CPS needs to use care removing the bolt. Since the bolt probably has loctight, remove it slowly, it is a good idea to remove it with a back & forth motion. 1 turn out, ˝ turn in, 1 out, etc.. That allows the threads to clear the sealant & keeps the threads from overheating the aluminum (from the added friction of the sealant).
Unread 05-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #1195
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Well, step one of my multi-step process to replace my cam got done today....with the help of a friend, we recovered the freon from my A/C.

While he was doing that, I pulled my OPDA again to check the fit of the older (Pre '05) OEM gear I purchased. I was pleased to discover that the one pre-drilled hole in it lines up perfectly, and once I get ready to do the whole job I'll just run a drill through it to make the other hole.

Hopefully sometime over the next couple of weeks, I'll embark on the cam replacement itself and then I can be done with this problem.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2011, 07:47 AM   #1196
Rubi4Us
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks to Jeff, (Surfcat) we finished the mod on my recently purchased new OPDA last night. Also, added the mod on my original unit that has 80k miles on it. On the original unit, we found the thrust washer had .20/1000 play in it which we thought was unusual. Anyone else seeing that much slop between their thrust washer and gear?
LJ 2005 Rubicon Unlimited "Sahara" Limited Edition #0146 of 1000
35 inch KM2's with 5.5 inch Rock Krawler Long Arm
Rubi4Us is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2011, 09:34 AM   #1197
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4Us View Post
On the original unit, we found the thrust washer had .20/1000 play in it which we thought was unusual.
The spec (according to the bulletin) is 0.010" to 0.030"...
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2011, 11:49 AM   #1198
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJP77 View Post
The spec (according to the bulletin) is 0.010" to 0.030"...
Where did you find the spec? Which bulletin are you referring to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4Us View Post
Thanks to Jeff, (Surfcat) we finished the mod on my recently purchased new OPDA last night. Also, added the mod on my original unit that has 80k miles on it. On the original unit, we found the thrust washer had .20/1000 play in it which we thought was unusual. Anyone else seeing that much slop between their thrust washer and gear?
My OPDA has about .038" play. Since the gear was re-drilled, I checked what the play would be in the other set of holes. That would have been about .028" Both checked cold.

Either way, I think there needs to be some play because the housing will expand when hot reducing the play. In at least one photo posted I could see that the top plastic washer was grooved pretty good. To me that says that there was not enough play causing binding against the top bushing. This would cause friction & heat. Not what you want on the top bushing that is already having issues. That top washer is only there for the shaft to rest on when not turning. When running, the shaft lifts & rides against the thrust washer. My top washer was in perfect condition. No groove at all.

Since you also have a new one, what is the play in it?
Unread 05-08-2011, 01:00 PM   #1199
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The play at the thrust bearing is not critical to the shaft so much as it is to the engagement at the oil pump.
Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2011, 02:41 PM   #1200
surfcat2000
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
Where did you find the spec? Which bulletin are you referring to?

My OPDA has about .038" play. Since the gear was re-drilled, I checked what the play would be in the other set of holes. That would have been about .028" Both checked cold.

Either way, I think there needs to be some play because the housing will expand when hot reducing the play. In at least one photo posted I could see that the top plastic washer was grooved pretty good. To me that says that there was not enough play causing binding against the top bushing. This would cause friction & heat. Not what you want on the top bushing that is already having issues. That top washer is only there for the shaft to rest on when not turning. When running, the shaft lifts & rides against the thrust washer. My top washer was in perfect condition. No groove at all.

Since you also have a new one, what is the play in it?
We put the new one in and got it running before we took a look at the one we took out. We were focused on getting the new one timed right. I wish we would of measured the play on the new one. I like to use 010" on air cooled engines crankshaft endplay. I was just worried about the gear riding up and down on the cam gear. Maybe is doesn't. Eric has 80,000 miles on his Rubi and everything looked fine. Jeff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.