2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Advance Adapters SYE KitsARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-21-2011, 04:39 PM   #106
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJXTWO View Post
I assume this is because of the higher ZDDP levels? I am running Mobil 1 10-30 full synthetic and adding ZDDP to the oil. Is there another reason to run the TD oil?
I was recommended in post #9. I tried it, it seems to be working.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2011, 04:44 PM   #107
TJXTWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
I was recommended in post #9. I tried it, it seems to be working.
Cool, just wondering if I missed something in the thread.

BTW: you are lucky if your dealer has the OPDA. I just talked to my dealer today, and they only show two dealers in their system with one in stock each. One of the dealers has a note saying the part is not for sale. I am actually going to call the other dealer monday and see if they are willing to sell. Good luck.
03 TJ Sport, 4.5" RE SuperFlex short arm lift, Tereflfex ST swaybar, 33" MTR's, Body Armor bumpers @ sliders, 5 speed manual... 06 TJ Rubicon, 4.5" RE long arm lift, Currie Antirock front and rear , OR Fab bumpers @ sliders, K@N intake, custom exhaust, 1" BL , 1" motor mount lift, 35" MTR's on Pro Comp Alloys, 6 speed manual.
TJXTWO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2011, 04:57 PM   #108
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
BTW: you are lucky if your dealer has the OPDA.
I don't think they have one, but I'm not as worried about failure now as I was, thanks to the advice here about the oil, and that I've got my "claim" number on file with Chrysler. If it starts chirpping I'll stop driving it.

I think we all need some luck with this issue. Chrysler needs to fix it, not just throw a band-aid on it.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2011, 04:58 PM   #109
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Cool, just wondering if I missed something in the thread.

BTW: you are lucky if your dealer has the OPDA. I just talked to my dealer today, and they only show two dealers in their system with one in stock each. One of the dealers has a note saying the part is not for sale. I am actually going to call the other dealer monday and see if they are willing to sell. Good luck.
Best of luck, I know another member had already tried that dealer with no luck. What the hell are they going to do with it then? Bastards

And I'm changing my oil Monday, not going to wait another two thousand miles. Diesel TJ here I come lol
Unread 01-21-2011, 05:03 PM   #110
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

This movie is taking forever. I would expect it to be done late tonight. Then however long it takes to upload to Youtube.
Unread 01-22-2011, 05:45 AM   #111
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Wow that was really complicated. I had to convert it, enable, edit, save, and upload. Anyway here it is. I ran out of daylight so I didn't get any video of inserting the screwdriver. Hopefully this should give people some confidence with the removal.

T20 torx for the lid bolts
1/2 -6 point wrench for the retaining bolt

I few interesting comments. I recommended the 6-point wrench and then ended up using the open end. To clarify, I did work on an OPDA where the bolt was rounded. A 12-point would not engage and the open end slipped as well. With a 6-point you'll get a good grip on a rounded bolt. If your bolt is in good shape (like mine was in the video) a 12-point will work.

Also at the end (11:19) I misspoke and said "don't turn the engine off". I should have instead said "don't turn the engine on". NEVER turn the engine on unless you are comfortable with the reinstallation.

Finally, I'll likely do another video in the spring. When it's times to pull the OPDA for inspection. I'll put this video on the first page and then when I do a better one, I'll replace it.
Unread 01-22-2011, 06:42 AM   #112
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The video really cleared things up! Thanks for taking the time to make it. Just to clarify what happens exactly with the oil pump when the OPDA won't go back in? When using the flat head in the hole, do you turn it in a certain direction?
Unread 01-22-2011, 06:50 AM   #113
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB View Post
The video really cleared things up! Thanks for taking the time to make it. Just to clarify what happens exactly with the oil pump when the OPDA won't go back in? When using the flat head in the hole, do you turn it in a certain direction?
I was afraid of that question. For whatever reason (cold, rushing, whatever) the oil pump moved a little when I pulled out the OPDA. The bottom has a flat key that will fit into the slot on the oil pump. You have to take the screwdriver and put it in the oil pump slot and tweak it so that when the OPDA shaft goes in, it lines up right. The oil pump will spin easily. Generally it's a little to the left or right. Place the target wheel match mark on the start mark (not the sensor mark) and look at how the bottom slot is facing. They turn the oil pump to get close to that alignment. It takes a little trial and error. I ran out of daylight or I would have shown the whole process. It is probably the most nerve-wracking part.

When I redo the video I will purposely mess it up and fix on camera.
Unread 01-22-2011, 07:02 AM   #114
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
I was afraid of that question. For whatever reason (cold, rushing, whatever) the oil pump moved a little when I pulled out the OPDA. The bottom has a flat key that will fit into the slot on the oil pump. You have to take the screwdriver and put it in the oil pump slot and tweak it so that when the OPDA shaft goes in, it lines up right. The oil pump will spin easily. Generally it's a little to the left or right. Place the target wheel match mark on the start mark (not the sensor mark) and look at how the bottom slot is facing. They turn the oil pump to get close to that alignment. It takes a little trial and error. I ran out of daylight or I would have shown the whole process. It is probably the most nerve-wracking part.

When I redo the video I will purposely mess it up and fix on camera.
I understand now, the bottom of the OPDA fits into that slot and and you just have to turn it (on the oil pump) so that when the OPDA goes back in it will fall into that slot?

My lack of knowledge of anything engine related is apparent!
Unread 01-22-2011, 07:50 AM   #115
chutta
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Either my chirping is the OPDA or a pass side U-joint I swapped out(ears werent perfect straight).
It will chirp briefly when cold, can not duplicate stopped, nor does it rise/fall in pitch with the revs, only go away below about 7mph.
disco'd the front driveshaft to rule out those joints.
Pretty sure it's the OPDA and maybe more, as the motor ticks/clicks after the chirping like a lifter failing.
When all is warm things smooth out.
It's friggin 12 degrees out up here, going to try to do it Sunday aft and get it back together right this time
05x 4.0 6sp 30/35, aussie front, 3.73's, r/c 4"x lift, adv adptr sye, shifter bracket, tw cv ds, 33 t/c skid, 33x12.5 dunlop mud rovers on steelies, psc sport cage/rockers, warn fr bump/steer and 30 diff skid, sirius,cb, hand throttle 1"bl/mml 265/16's pepboys at's on orig moabs for street. Lowrance H20c for gps
chutta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2011, 08:40 AM   #116
Peterpsc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm a backyard mechanic and your video Willydigger of the R/R of the OPDA is terrific. Thank you for your effort. The Fog deserves much credit too.
Peterpsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2011, 01:22 PM   #117
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Just want to say "THANK YOU" for freezing you *** off for us. It is certainly appreciated. Exceptional job!

Quote:
Does your gas tank overflow at the pump?
SUBMIT FORMAL COMPLAINT HERE!

2005 Rubicon LJ Unlimited - 4 1/2" BDS Suspension - 285/75/16 Toyo M/T's - 12,000# Winch - Ground Pounder Fab Rear Bumper - FabRieckAtions Custom Front Bumper - Overkill Engineering Tube Fenders - GR8 Half Top - Rock Hard Cage - Banks Monster Exhaust - 5.13 Gears - High Performance Flux Capacitor

1976 CJ-7 - 33" Super Swampers - BDS 4" Suspension - 6 Point Roll Cage
Mud Machine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2011, 06:35 PM   #118
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Not bad Willy, but tell that gal running the camera she did awesome!
lope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 01:55 AM   #119
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
Wow that was really complicated. I had to convert it, enable, edit, save, and upload. Anyway here it is. I ran out of daylight so I didn't get any video of inserting the screwdriver. Hopefully this should give people some confidence with the removal.

T20 torx for the lid bolts
1/2 -6 point wrench for the retaining bolt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3qJxlV_GJ4

I few interesting comments. I recommended the 6-point wrench and then ended up using the open end. To clarify, I did work on an OPDA where the bolt was rounded. A 12-point would not engage and the open end slipped as well. With a 6-point you'll get a good grip on a rounded bolt. If your bolt is in good shape (like mine was in the video) a 12-point will work.

Also at the end (11:19) I misspoke and said "don't turn the engine off". I should have instead said "don't turn the engine on". NEVER turn the engine on unless you are comfortable with the reinstallation.

Finally, I'll likely do another video in the spring. When it's times to pull the OPDA for inspection. I'll put this video on the first page and then when I do a better one, I'll replace it.
You're the man. It was cold as **** today and yesterday in MD, and windy.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 06:55 AM   #120
jeffjeep1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Wily - Great video.
Looks like you ended up with a "flush" grease fitting. Did I see it correctly?
Heidi - Golden Retriever/Jeep Dog
jeffjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.