2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 77 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-26-2011, 07:18 PM   #1141
Zeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealKTrain View Post
OH ok, I guess I was getting my hopes up that the range of motors listed in the first thread werent all LJs. I guess im having trouble wrapping my head around the idea that ALL 05-06's are timebombs.
Cracked exhaust manifolds, bad blower resistors, burnt fan switches, water puddles on the floorboards.........Hmm!

I still love my Jeep, and don't plan to get rid of it any time soon.

Unread 04-26-2011, 08:47 PM   #1142
bonza
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
There are 2005-06 models with high mileage and no symptoms. I can't explain the differences. Some fail at 15K and some last well over 100K miles.
tolerancing of the shaft and the bush. I think it has been mentioned elsewhere.

components like these would be made to tolerances measured in, not thous, but tenth of thousandths of an inch. the shaft for example would have a tolerance of 0.0003" for repeatablity during the machining process of part manufacturing. if the tolerances were allowed to drift or were incorrectly specified, then the shaft may have been a few tenth of thous over and the bush similarly under. that would causes the clearances to close up resulting in a bind or insufficient space for lube to ingress between the shaft and bush

and because the clearances maybe so fine, changes in temperature could affect the shaft to bushing clearances in ceratin circumstances especially as they are made from different materials

it would be interesting to accurately measure the shaft and bushing bore and compare with older units

I would be inclined to also polish the shaft when doing the fogmod in order to give a little more clearance
Unread 04-26-2011, 10:36 PM   #1143
tkki1230
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know if I've mentioned this before on this thread, but I think I did in a PM to either Willy or Rubi4MyMrs...After pulling out the top bushing intact, I can absolutely verify that there is no possible way that the grease in the OPDA can get to the shaft because there is no passage between the channel where the grease sits and the top bushing. No hole in the bushing anywhere, no groove in the OPDA body, no sneaky back door passage way, no nothing. The grease channel is completely sealed off. So even if they had exact tolerances between the shaft and the bushing, it's all for sh*t because the grease is not getting to the shaft. This is why we are doing the Fogmod.

Unless they've invented some kind of grease that can "seep" through that bushing, I'm just not getting it.
tkki1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 10:57 PM   #1144
bonza
2005 TJ Wrangler 

yes, I understand why we are doing the fogmod and I'm all geared up to do it.

but the statement was made that it's unexplained why some fail at 15k and others are still going ok at 90k. hence my response about shaft/bush tolerancing. and apparently Chrysler/LDI now understand this being the cause and future opda's will be a bit different? as reported in a earlier post

I'm also one of the lucky ones with over 90k and have pulled the unit several times to inspect. everything looks fine, pinion is good, so is cam gear and the target wheel spins free and easy, so I haven't done the fogmod yet and will wait until such time as long term results are posted about how affective this mod is.
also like the idea of an oil cup but a bit worried about weight/vibration with something hanging off diecast metal
Unread 04-26-2011, 11:42 PM   #1145
tkki1230
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonza View Post
yes, I understand why we are doing the fogmod and I'm all geared up to do it.

but the statement was made that it's unexplained why some fail at 15k and others are still going ok at 90k. hence my response about shaft/bush tolerancing. and apparently Chrysler/LDI now understand this being the cause and future opda's will be a bit different? as reported in a earlier post
I didn't mean for my post to rub you the wrong way. I was just venting lol. Sorry about that.
Unread 04-27-2011, 12:22 AM   #1146
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJP77 View Post
This may sound insane but I noticed both of my 4.0L's seemed quieter after switching to Valvoline VR1 last year. Since it has adequate ZDDP, I didn't see the need to add any additives on top of that.
I'm under the impression your motor isnt effected by the contents of this thread?

Μολὼν λαβέ
TheRealKTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 04:43 AM   #1147
bonza
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkki1230 View Post
I didn't mean for my post to rub you the wrong way. I was just venting lol. Sorry about that.
no offence taken. feel free to vent.

but you raise a good point that there's no interconnecting gallery from the grease reservoir to the spindle and bush. what were they thinking?
Unread 04-27-2011, 05:02 AM   #1148
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealKTrain View Post
I'm under the impression your motor isnt effected by the contents of this thread?
You haven't been paying attention then - my '06 has wear on the cam gear and the OPDA gear. I'm getting ready to embark on a cam replacement in a few weeks.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 06:19 AM   #1149
steitsma
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJP77 View Post
You haven't been paying attention then - my '06 has wear on the cam gear and the OPDA gear. I'm getting ready to embark on a cam replacement in a few weeks.
When you are done won't you just be back in the same boat then with a poor designed OPDA and cam/gear wear? I agree with the idea of changing the cam but if you got 12k out of the 1st, whats to say you won't be in the same boat in another 12k after a new cam install!
steitsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 06:48 AM   #1150
pwmac
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Engineering discussion

To repeat
The Mopar chief engineer said the OPDA has a lube issue and it is exacerbated by a tolerance issue.
This explains why some have issues and some do not.
His recomendation is to pull the thing and decide yourself if you have a problem. He said a new TSB will be published in July. He did not comment to say if new parts would be available at that time. He said they do not have a final fix at this time and dyno endurance testing is continuing for candidate fixes.
He did not comment on engine oil.
In any event it would be prudent to begin or continue to add the zinc regardless of what you do.

(Italics are my opinions not Mopars)
PaulW
pwmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 08:29 AM   #1151
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

To the first page:

I added the TSB report for easy reference later.

I added the OPDA upper bushing removed pic.

I added a Section 11: Alternate Designs to include things like the pressurized oil, oil cup, and oil channel on the shaft.
Unread 04-27-2011, 09:57 AM   #1152
jdhutch
2006 LJ Wrangler 

So they're already charging 3 times what they were for the flawed part. What will they be charging us when they have a fix?...
jdhutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 02:06 PM   #1153
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Funny thing is that this will technically be a 4th revision to a part they claim has no issue.
Unread 04-27-2011, 05:13 PM   #1154
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
To the first page:

I added a Section 11: Alternate Designs to include things like the pressurized oil, oil cup, and oil channel on the shaft.
Willy,

Really great work. Thank you. One small correction, on dproctor's setup, it isn't really pressurized. He fills the reservoir & it is gravity fed. There has been some talk of a pressurized system by tapping into the oil pressure sender. I think that may have been in the other thread. So far, I think it has been discussion only.

dproctor probably has the most experience with oil. Maybe he will give us an update?

A couple possible advantages to his system are that his reservoir is elevated giving it a little "head" pressure + its a closed system & probably develops some pressure as the heat increases. (maybe it is a pressurized system) The down side is that for a lack of a top seal, he has to seal the whole top area since it fills with oil.

On a completely side note, I just got a flyer in the mail from O'Reilly/Kragen Auto. They have Valvoline VR1 Racing (Conventional) Oil for $2.99 (normally $4.89). I don't know if that is a national sale or only local (SO. Cal). No one around here seems to stock 10-30 but they are sending some. I will have it tomorrow.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #1155
tkki1230
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
To the first page:

Awesome job Willy

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.