2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 76 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippi

Unread 04-26-2011, 04:37 PM   #1126
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I know you guys have posted a ton of info, but is there a way I can compare the vin to something to see if the Jeep Im looking at buying will be effected by this?

Μολὼν λαβέ
TheRealKTrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2011, 04:39 PM   #1127
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

All '05 and '06s are.
Unread 04-26-2011, 05:08 PM   #1128
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

OH ok, I guess I was getting my hopes up that the range of motors listed in the first thread werent all LJs. I guess im having trouble wrapping my head around the idea that ALL 05-06's are timebombs.

Μολὼν λαβέ
Unread 04-26-2011, 05:11 PM   #1129
SilverTJMike
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Timebomb, I think that's a little excessive. I don't disagree its an issue, I have 2 2005's but my opda's should make it until July they look ok so far as do my cam gears. If not I'll get a new one and do a fog mod. Looks like a new cam is 198 and opda is 259 or so, so I am not throwing away my 05's yet

I was pleasantly surprised to hear that they are addressing it with a new part and tsb, I'll take it, beats ignoring like the fuel tank issue.
SilverTJMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2011, 05:16 PM   #1130
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealKTrain View Post
Holy cow. This is pretty complicated. Im in the market for an 05 LJ, and this has me second guessing it...
Quote:
I know you guys have posted a ton of info, but is there a way I can compare the vin to something to see if the Jeep Im looking at buying will be effected by this?
jkp is right. They all use the "newer" OPDA/CPS. That being said, I wouldn't not buy based on a $250-300 part even if it had to be replaced occasionally. I had no knowledge of this issue when I got mine but even now I wouldn't trade my Rubi LJ for any other yr TJ.

I might consider having it checked out by someone who can pull the OPDA to see how bad the gear (cam gear included) looks. If they do, make sure that they let you see it for yourself. Also make sure they can reinstall it correctly so it doesn't throw a code & get the CEL. If you don't, the present owner won't like you returning his Jeep with the CEL!

Not to further scare you, but you might want to fill the gas tank or at least ask the owner if he has this issue:

Check this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/...recall-974337/
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2011, 05:25 PM   #1131
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealKTrain
OH ok, I guess I was getting my hopes up that the range of motors listed in the first thread werent all LJs. I guess im having trouble wrapping my head around the idea that ALL 05-06's are timebombs.
If you do a search there are a couple of poll threads about this issue. There are plenty of people who haven't been hit with this yet. Fortunately I am one of them (at 94k miles). If a new design comes out will I replace it? Absolutely. But to grossly paraphrase one of our greatest presidents, when it happens to your neighbor it's a rare problem but when it happens to you it's an epidemic.

The gas tank problem on the other hand . . . .
Unread 04-26-2011, 05:45 PM   #1132
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Not to downplay the gas tank problem, but Im less worried about <1 gallon of fuel spilling than I am the possibility of my motor not having oil pressure while operating.

The Jeep Im considering buying is at a Ford stealership, and yes, I know buying from a stealership is a "no-no" but I'm kind of in a bind with a military move coming up. Should I print the first couple pages of this and take it with me? Or just the TSB?

Μολὼν λαβέ
Unread 04-26-2011, 06:06 PM   #1133
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Not to downplay the gas tank problem, but Im less worried about <1 gallon of fuel spilling than I am the possibility of my motor not having oil pressure while operating.

The Jeep Im considering buying is at a Ford stealership, and yes, I know buying from a stealership is a "no-no" but I'm kind of in a bind with a military move coming up. Should I print the first couple pages of this and take it with me? Or just the TSB?
I would print the TSB and insist that OPDA be pulled and inspected with you present. I would turn the shaft and look at the OPDA gear and the camshaft gear. Some dealers say it's not covered under warranty. Most if not all will say there is nothing wrong with the camshaft gear. I don't know the miles on the Jeep, but the majority of those who pull the OPDA find premature wear. The TSB refers to a faulty gear, however laughing monkey is proof of shaft binding. Just because they replaced a gear doesn't mean the problem is fixed. I think the norm is for the dealer to say everything is fine and then refuse to cover failures. For the few of us who actually had warranty work for the issue only a small minority have had major engine work preformed.

All that said, this can be manageable. The break in period requires higher ZDDP levels than the oil provided for 2005-06 models. That coupled with the OPDA design issues (whether tolerance issues or lubrication issues) has caused a lot of headaches. Those two issues are unlikely to be fixed due to cost of repair and availability of better components. Assuming the camshaft gear is in good shape relative to mileage the OPDA can be modified to improve the binding issue and a full 6 qts of higher ZDDP oil should (and by no means to a claim to be an expert) prevent future problems. There are 2005-06 models with high mileage and no symptoms. I can't explain the differences. Some fail at 15K and some last well over 100K miles.

I can understand people living with the decision after the fact, but if I were in your shoes and knew the problems with the OPDA and camshaft gear, I would seriously look at earlier models as an alternative. I'm too vested in my Jeep to sell it so I'll live with it.
Unread 04-26-2011, 07:09 PM   #1134
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you for the insight and opinion Willy.

Good luck in the future with yours!

Μολὼν λαβέ
Unread 04-26-2011, 07:23 PM   #1135
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

look for an 04!
glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2011, 07:30 PM   #1136
JeepScrap
2006 LJ Wrangler 

For what its worth, I just did an oil change the other day and added a bottle of ZDDP Plus and it has dramatically quieted down my motor. I'm trying to stay hopeful that it is what’s missing in our oil to prevent more wear on the cam and opda. I'll be pulling my old opda and replacing with a new one this weekend even though I have no symptoms. At least I'll feel a little better knowing I have some high quality oil coating the new gear.
Unread 04-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #1137
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I'd try to do the inspection as Willy said, and this is one time buying the extended warranty might pay off. Just be sure that the OPDA is a covered component. And save every oil change receipt in case you need to make a claim.

My '06 is currently at 71K with no noises, or high iron in the oil. So, you never know.
Unread 04-26-2011, 07:56 PM   #1138
mattwings
2006 LJ Wrangler 

STP treatment

I noticed quieter running with the additive as well. I feel like an idiot saying/thinking it as I have never been an additive guy. BTW, lots Of examples of cam failure on low rpm, low valve spring pressure flat tappet cams all over the Internet. Aircraft to vintage British cars included. Break in seems to be a common cause of failure. Older motor was OK forbyears, rebuilt and then very quick subsequent failures.
mattwings is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #1139
FarFire70
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTJMike View Post
I was pleasantly surprised to hear that they are addressing it with a new part and tsb, I'll take it
Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
I would print the TSB and insist that OPDA be pulled and inspected with you present. I would turn the shaft and look at the OPDA gear and the camshaft gear. Some dealers say it's not covered under warranty. Most if not all will say there is nothing wrong with the camshaft gear. I don't know the miles on the Jeep, but the majority of those who pull the OPDA find premature wear. The TSB refers to a faulty gear, however laughing monkey is proof of shaft binding. Just because they replaced a gear doesn't mean the problem is fixed. I think the norm is for the dealer to say everything is fine and then refuse to cover failures. For the few of us who actually had warranty work for the issue only a small minority have had major engine work preformed.
I've been following the OPDA threads in a skimming manner since mine & my cam were replaced because of gear failure. B/c I've been loosely following maybe I missed this but are you guys referring to a new TSB or the old TSB E05 campaign?

Also has a difference with the Rev. E been found?

2005 Wrangler Sport, 4.0L, 6spd
2" BB, JKS 1.25" BL & MML, M/T MTZ 33x12.50R15
HP D30: Aussie Locker, D44: Eaton Elocker
FarFire70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2011, 08:13 PM   #1140
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepScrap View Post
For what its worth, I just did an oil change the other day and added a bottle of ZDDP Plus and it has dramatically quieted down my motor.
This may sound insane but I noticed both of my 4.0L's seemed quieter after switching to Valvoline VR1 last year. Since it has adequate ZDDP, I didn't see the need to add any additives on top of that.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.