2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 75 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-25-2011, 09:34 AM   #1111
pwmac
2006 LJ Wrangler 

OPDA replacement

I had a good private engineer to engineer discussion with the Mopar chief engineer at the Jeep Safari
Chrysler is well aware of our issue. Briefly he told me there will be a TSB released in July and new parts to follow.
We discussed the failure and he said so far it appears to be a tolerance issue bushing to shaft. Nothing new there. He is not happy that there is not positive lube for the bussing built into the old design. He made no comments about the gear because I forgot to ask about it. Anyway at this time new part candidates are undergoing dyno endurance testing.
His advice to me with 18+k on my '06 is to take the thing out a look at it and decide if it will survive for a few more months.
No further guidance was offered.
PaulW

pwmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2011, 10:04 AM   #1112
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwmac View Post
I had a good private engineer to engineer discussion with the Mopar chief engineer at the Jeep Safari
Chrysler is well aware of our issue. Briefly he told me there will be a TSB released in July and new parts to follow.
We discussed the failure and he said so far it appears to be a tolerance issue bushing to shaft. Nothing new there. He is not happy that there is not positive lube for the bussing built into the old design. He made no comments about the gear because I forgot to ask about it. Anyway at this time new part candidates are undergoing dyno endurance testing.
His advice to me with 18+k on my '06 is to take the thing out a look at it and decide if it will survive for a few more months.
PaulW
Well that's cool, if they follow though. I need to check my warranty. I'd figure they would just send out a notice to all '05-'06 owners and replace it. I wonder what the parameters are to get this done? If they came up with a better mousetrap I'd be willing to buy the part and install it myself. Thanks for the post.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2011, 10:38 AM   #1113
pizzle
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
PaulW
So, they're issuing a TSB and not a recall? I wonder how the dealer will react to seeing OPDAs that have been modded (like mine), for folks that weren't comfortable with waiting to see if it will "survive for a few more months".
pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2011, 10:52 AM   #1114
JeepScrap
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Now there's some encouraging news. Lets hope this actually happens. Thanks for the info and talking to your buddy at Chrysler.

Sent from my Droid using JeepForum
Unread 04-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #1115
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
PaulW
I guess that is classic good news/bad news. Good that we may get an "improved" part, bad they are testing them but apparently they don't even know there is no lubrication getting to one of the affected areas.

Wonder what the improved ones will cost if the bad ones list for $377.

I also wouldn't hold my breath on their timetable. They claimed that a redesigned gas tank check valve was coming last Feb. So far no one that I know of has been able to verify that has happened. They have more than doubled the price (like the OPDAs) but as far as we can tell, they have not been improved yet.

Does your gas tank overflow at the pump? FILE COMPLAINT HERE

Check this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/...recall-974337/
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2011, 11:27 AM   #1116
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
I also wouldn't hold my breath on their timetable.
Agreed. I'll believe it when I see it.
Unread 04-26-2011, 11:22 AM   #1117
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I got the parts from McMaster Carr. The below images are for those with a 1/4-28 FogMOD'ed fitting.

44705K36 Low-pressure Aluminum Threaded Pipe Fitting, 1/8" Pipe Size, Coupling, 15/16"l (.93"), 19/32"od
1227K16 Threaded Elbow-style Oil-hole Cover, 1/8"-27 Npt Thread, 1/4" L Thread, 25/32" H O'all
9006T11 Grease Fitting Adapter, Stl, Straight, 1/4"-28 Taper Male X 1/8" Nptf Fem
44665K111 Standard-wall Aluminum Threaded Pipe Nipple, 1/8" Pipe Sz, Fully Threaded, 3/4" Length, Sch 40

The below images show fitment. They are not tightened.

Now that I have the pieces I think it would have been better to get a 90 Elbow and a straight oil cup. As seen above the oil will only cover the bottom half of the upper bushing. The top half (which is actually in the target wheel housing) will get minimal oil. That may be fine considering the images of heat marks we've seen on the upper shaft are on the lower end of the shaft.
Unread 04-26-2011, 11:31 AM   #1118
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Willy, Looks good!
Unread 04-26-2011, 12:03 PM   #1119
NextJeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good, Willy. So, the plan would be to alter the FogMod with the oil cup setup above (or use an elbow asn straight cup) and run what kind of oil in it's place? I have not been following this thread for a while...
EDIT--Light Spindle oil...got it.

Is this really worth doing? Has anyone seen issues from the original FogMod? Methinks I will wait before modding the OPDA again--see how it works for a few of you boys. When will this madness end?
NextJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #1120
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextJeep View Post
Looks good, Willy. So, the plan would be to alter the FogMod with the oil cup setup above and run what kind of oil in it's place? I have not been following this thread for a while...
No plan yet. I'm going to let Rubi be the oil cup guinea pig. I would think regular motor oil. You may want to try a thicker gear oil too. The key to the oil cup is the upper seal condition. If the seal does not hold the oil cup will fail (unless you plan to lube it often). The relatively low speed of the OPDA allows for a high quality grease to work, however the oil cup is a great alternative provided the seal cooperates.

I wanted to get the pieces because I want to understand the delivery. The holes are small and the oil is gravity fed. It is an easy option for oil instead of grease.
Unread 04-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #1121
NextJeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Understood. Thanks for leading all of this R&D.
NextJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #1122
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
No plan yet. I'm going to let Rubi be the oil cup guinea pig. I would think regular motor oil. You may want to try a thicker gear oil too. The key to the oil cup is the upper seal condition. If the seal does not hold the oil cup will fail (unless you plan to lube it often). The relatively low speed of the OPDA allows for a high quality grease to work, however the oil cup is a great alternative provided the seal cooperates.

I wanted to get the pieces because I want to understand the delivery. The holes are small and the oil is gravity fed. It is an easy option for oil instead of grease.
Willy, glad to be the guinea pig. You are right, there are still unanswered questions. That is why I followed the FOGMod procedure so that if this whole thing fails, I can put the zerk in. We know that works.

If I was sure of this, I could have tapped into the factory fill hole, drilled the bushing & turned the OPDA for access.

I will keep you posted.
Unread 04-26-2011, 01:31 PM   #1123
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Holy cow. This is pretty complicated. Im in the market for an 05 LJ, and this has me second guessing it...

Μολὼν λαβέ
TheRealKTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #1124
PA_LJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Update:

So a couple weeks ago willydigger and myself modded and replaced my new opda to fix my laughing monkey prblem. I put a call in to jeep and they called back today offering to cover my parts purchase minus a 100 dollar deductible. I have to send them proof of my purchase via email. So I will end up bein out 160 dollars. 100 parts and 60 fogmod.

I guess this is a positive outcome though I told the jeep guy that there is pretty much no permanet solution to our problem and money doesn't really make me feel better about driving my jeep around like a ticking time bomb....he had no answers.
PA_LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 03:14 PM   #1125
chutta
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sad isn't it. 70k drivetrain warranty and for what if the dealer lies about the cam gear and then you are out there back on the timebomb
05x 4.0 6sp 30/35, aussie front, 3.73's, r/c 4"x lift, adv adptr sye, shifter bracket, tw cv ds, 33 t/c skid, 33x12.5 dunlop mud rovers on steelies, psc sport cage/rockers, warn fr bump/steer and 30 diff skid, sirius,cb, hand throttle 1"bl/mml 265/16's pepboys at's on orig moabs for street. Lowrance H20c for gps
chutta is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.