2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 72 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 04-22-2011, 04:59 PM   #1066
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
I also wonder about mating a new gear to a worn cam gear. If the wear isnít great (deep) is it better to keep the mated surfaces together rather than changing one. Of course both new is ideal but certainly a lot costlier.
What will happen is what happened to mine: the wear on the camshaft gear will transfer itself to the new OPDA gear very quickly - in short order, a new OPDA gear will look exactly like your old one.

Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #1067
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
Rubi, what type of oil do you plan to try?
Iím leaning towards the Valvoline VR1 10-40 in the engine. I definitely want to try to improve this situation (gear wear, not top bushing wear).

As far as in the cup, I will probably use the VR1 also. The clearances are tight & its gravity fed so I donít want a thick oil, especially for winter, but I still need max protection. One of the guys at M-Dale was very sharp. After I explained what & why I was doing what I was doing, he really got into helping me. Believe it or not, he asked me what viscosity I planned to use, pointing out how small the passage was on the adapter. We actually considered a cup with 1/16 pipe threads, but I considered the hole too small. What do you think? Would a synthetic be better because of the lower viscosity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterpsc View Post
That oil cup is clever. Thank you for the effort. I did the fogmod but darn if I don't like the oil-cup idea. Has it leaked?
Donít know about leaks. Havenít installed it yet. I still have to do a little work on the shaft (clean & polish the lower scratches) then decide whether to replace the gear before final assembly. Then I can at least fill it. Iím in CA now & the Jeep is in NV so it will be a couple weeks before I can actually test it.
p64210139.jpg  
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #1068
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJP77 View Post
What will happen is what happened to mine: the wear on the camshaft gear will transfer itself to the new OPDA gear very quickly - in short order, a new OPDA gear will look exactly like your old one.
That's what I thought. At this point I may as well keep the old one for now & watch it. When it gets thin replace it & decide then on a cam replacement. I hope that with a better oil it will slow the wear somewhat.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #1069
Baseplate
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ultimately, the fix for me is:
1. New Roller Cam....something like this http://www.shop.505performance.com/p...&categoryId=31
2. FogMod
3. ZDDP Plus in the oil with a synthetic oil (I live in a hot climate)

I am going to look at the Hesco bronze gear as well.
Baseplate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #1070
tkki1230
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Willy-

Here's a shot of the Factory 04 and 06 gears side by side. The 04 is on the right. The holes on both of them are the same.

tkki1230 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2011, 06:28 PM   #1071
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Baseplate, I would totally forget about the Hesco bronze gear. It will get eaten away too quickly. I just met with a vendor last week who was talked into buying a bronze gear. He spoke of how his wife was stranded because of the gear failure. The bronze gear is more for specialized applications, not a DD.

tkki, the CPS I got was from RockAuto for $38. It was Dorman from China. I had heard conflicting reports about the hole size so I went ahead and got one. I assume the one you have was pulled from a Jeep? I suppose those needing a gear can try pulling a CPS from an earlier model. Maybe the factory gear is the same as the 2005-06 and the aftermarket ones need the holes opened.
Unread 04-22-2011, 06:30 PM   #1072
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
That's what I thought. At this point I may as well keep the old one for now & watch it. When it gets thin replace it & decide then on a cam replacement. I hope that with a better oil it will slow the wear somewhat.
That is my plan too. I think eventually a new camshaft will be required. At that point I will for sure use a high ZDDP oil for break in and beyond.
Unread 04-22-2011, 06:41 PM   #1073
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseplate View Post
1. New Roller Cam....something like this http://www.shop.505performance.com/p...&categoryId=31
Sweet! Too bad they're so proud of it. I'd be happy with a stock grind roller cam.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #1074
tkki1230
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
tkki, the CPS I got was from RockAuto for $38. It was Dorman from China. I had heard conflicting reports about the hole size so I went ahead and got one. I assume the one you have was pulled from a Jeep? I suppose those needing a gear can try pulling a CPS from an earlier model. Maybe the factory gear is the same as the 2005-06 and the aftermarket ones need the holes opened.
Yup, it was off of a factory unit.
tkki1230 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2011, 08:04 AM   #1075
chutta
2005 TJ Wrangler 

tkki, the CPS I got was from RockAuto for $38.

I searched on their site both for OPDA and CPS no matches
05x 4.0 6sp 30/35, aussie front, 3.73's, r/c 4"x lift, adv adptr sye, shifter bracket, tw cv ds, 33 t/c skid, 33x12.5 dunlop mud rovers on steelies, psc sport cage/rockers, warn fr bump/steer and 30 diff skid, sirius,cb, hand throttle 1"bl/mml 265/16's pepboys at's on orig moabs for street. Lowrance H20c for gps
chutta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2011, 09:16 AM   #1076
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chutta View Post
tkki, the CPS I got was from RockAuto for $38.

I searched on their site both for OPDA and CPS no matches
Those are aftermarket parts from RockAuto. Tkki pulled his from an 04 jeep. For a perfect unmodified match you'll have to go to a junk yard or maybe the dealer.
Unread 04-23-2011, 10:06 AM   #1077
JeepScrap
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseplate
2. FogMod
3. ZDDP Plus in the oil with a synthetic oil (I live in a hot climate)

I am going to look at the Hesco bronze gear as well.
My experiment will be to replace my opda and keep running Mobil 1 with 4oz of zddp plus to see how the new gear holds up. I really think that the new oils have a lot to do with the gear wear and I'm very surprised that this issue doesn't get more attention in the Jeep community. After all, it had lots to do with Jeep moving to the v6 in 2007.

Sent from my Droid using JeepForum
Unread 04-23-2011, 10:13 AM   #1078
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepScrap View Post
After all, it had lots to do with Jeep moving to the v6 in 2007
Huh???...
Unread 04-23-2011, 10:49 AM   #1079
JeepScrap
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead

Huh???...
The EPA mandated that all auto manufacturers use roller cams to tolerate lower zddp levels in oil which is why Chrysler moved to the V6 in 2007. The flat tappet cam in the Jeep 4.0 or any flat tappet motor REQUIRES zddp.

Sent from my Droid using JeepForum
Unread 04-23-2011, 12:12 PM   #1080
Recoil
1988 MJ Comanche 

Anyone replace a cam yet? If so what did you go with?

\/ \/ \/
EPIC
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.