2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 70 - JeepForum.com

 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1036 of 5449 Old 04-20-2011, 08:41 AM
clydesTJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: catskill
Posts: 1
Distributr opda

Dont know how many out there know it ,but Chrysler released new opda. same # same revision E,COST $377, I already picked one up

clydesTJ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1037 of 5449 Old 04-20-2011, 08:49 AM
JeepScrap
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydesTJ
Dont know how many out there know it ,but Chrysler released new opda. same # same revision E,COST $377, I already picked one up
How did you verify this? The consensus here is that it is the same POS.

Sent from my Droid using JeepForum

"Science will win in a battle with religion because it works." -Stephen Hawking
JeepScrap is offline  
post #1038 of 5449 Old 04-20-2011, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
willydigger
Web Wheeler
 
willydigger's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckT6 View Post
I'm anxious to see if the aftermarket gear will fit the 05/06 shaft w/o any drilling.
I am almost 100% sure an aftermarket (Crown) gear will require drilling. I think if you search the thread or the original thread there will be mention of the Crown gear not working without modification.
willydigger is offline  
post #1039 of 5449 Old 04-20-2011, 09:39 AM
ChuckT6
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
I am almost 100% sure an aftermarket (Crown) gear will require drilling. I think if you search the thread or the original thread there will be mention of the Crown gear not working without modification.
My post was referrring to your post #1032 where you purchased a 2004 OPDA unit from an auto parts store (not a Crown gear). I would assume it is a OEM unit and not an aftermarket unit.

Chuck Thomas
2006 Rubicon
ChuckT6 is offline  
post #1040 of 5449 Old 04-20-2011, 10:01 AM
Jeffro06
Registered User
 
Jeffro06's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Total
Posts: 9,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepScrap View Post
How did you verify this? The consensus here is that it is the same POS.
He said new....not improved.... I have my "new" one, but it looks exactly like the old one, but's it's quieter.
Jeffro06 is offline  
post #1041 of 5449 Old 04-20-2011, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
willydigger
Web Wheeler
 
willydigger's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckT6 View Post
My post was referrring to your post #1032 where you purchased a 2004 OPDA unit from an auto parts store (not a Crown gear). I would assume it is a OEM unit and not an aftermarket unit.
RockAuto is an online distributor. The part will be the entire CPS synchronizer for the 2004 model. I'll have to remove the gear and test for fit. Based on tkki's observations I expect it to work. I have heard some reports that the hole in the gear is a bit smaller than the 3/16 hole in the shaft. Once I have one to play with I'll feel more confident giving answers.
willydigger is offline  
post #1042 of 5449 Old 04-20-2011, 11:40 AM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler
 
Rubi4MyMrs's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Trails of
Posts: 3,252
Willy, any reason you chose an 8 mm grub rather than a 5/16? They are almost the same size & I have a 5/16-18 bottom tap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
I just purchased the 2004 CPS from RockAuto. Total cost $36.25 with shipping. When it gets here I take a slew of pics and update the thread.
Isn't it amazing that an entire OPDA (CPS synchronizer) for '04 (where few are being replaced) is $36 and the '05-'06s are $250-300.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline  
post #1043 of 5449 Old 04-20-2011, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
willydigger
Web Wheeler
 
willydigger's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
Willy, any reason you chose an 8 mm grub rather than a 5/16? They are almost the same size & I have a 5/16-18 bottom tap.

Isn't it amazing that an entire OPDA (CPS synchronizer) for '04 (where few are being replaced) is $36 and the '05-'06s are $250-300.
I had a 8mm grub lying around. The 5/16 should work.

The 2005-06 OPDA comes with the sensor too? Rising aluminum costs? Quality control premium?

The best one was the one without the thrust washer that tkki got. What a bunch of fools.
willydigger is offline  
post #1044 of 5449 Old 04-20-2011, 04:02 PM
mpotoczny
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vallejo
Posts: 6
Regarding the 00-04 Rock Auto opda - I got one of these to pull the gear off of to fix my 05. (as I could not find the Crown gear cheaper than the whole unit from Rock Auto.) I did have to drill out the hole in the gear to fit the 05 shaft pin hole. Initially I had problems putting the roll pin back in. Then I tried spinning it on the shaft 180 degrees and the holes then lined up perfectly and the pin went right in - off center though or it would have fit both ways.
mpotoczny is offline  
post #1045 of 5449 Old 04-20-2011, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
willydigger
Web Wheeler
 
willydigger's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpotoczny View Post
Regarding the 00-04 Rock Auto opda - I got one of these to pull the gear off of to fix my 05. (as I could not find the Crown gear cheaper than the whole unit from Rock Auto.) I did have to drill out the hole in the gear to fit the 05 shaft pin hole. Initially I had problems putting the roll pin back in. Then I tried spinning it on the shaft 180 degrees and the holes then lined up perfectly and the pin went right in - off center though or it would have fit both ways.
Just about every OPDA I've done require it to go on one way. I've done around 10. One was way off, but all had to go on the way it came off.

Opening the hole on a 2004 gear is much easier than drilling a new hole through the shaft. I'd also like to compare the up/down play to the earlier model too.
willydigger is offline  
post #1046 of 5449 Old 04-20-2011, 06:51 PM
TJJP77
Registered User
 
TJJP77's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Somewhere, MI
Posts: 1,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
From what I gather, the Crown replacement gear will require you to drill a new hole through the shaft. The hole placement on the Crown gear does not match the factory gear for the 2005-06.
Wouldn't it just be easier to drill a new hole in the gear sleeve/arbor (below the teeth) than in the OPDA shaft?

Chris
'02 Sahara
'06 Rubicon Unlimited
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline  
post #1047 of 5449 Old 04-21-2011, 07:12 PM
Heath
Registered User
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Shreveport
Posts: 2,641
Ok, since my 05 Rubi got totaled a few weeks ago, and my new 06 LJ Rubis OPDA looked good enough to Fog mod, I'll go ahead and tell my story.

I had a 05 tj rubicon with 66k miles on it that had massive wear on the cam and OPDA.

It was hitting a rev limiter at 3000 rpms and had a CPS code that set off the check engine light. I pulled the OPDA and it was trashed. The gear, bushing, shaft, cam, everything. You could move the OPDAs reluctor wheel so far back and forth in the housing that it would hit the inner walls.

I took the Jeep to the local Chrysler dealer who said it was going to need a new cam, OPDA, etc. I called Chrysler and began the fight.

They conceded that the vehicle had a recall performed on it. I argued that there was no sign on the OPDA that it had been redrilled for the new gear, as per the recall. This fact they never acknowledged.

After arguing for two days that the damage to the OPDA, and cam and any other collateral damage was a result of the recall never being done, or at best being done improperly, or unsuccessfully, they agreed to pay for a new everything, at no cost to me.

They said since the problem was "related" to the original recall, they would pay for it.

After waiting for months upon months for the OPDA to come in, before it ever came, (still hasn't came) my Jeep got destroyed by a fine upstanding citizen that was drinking malt liquor and smoking PCP, and crack, when he rear ended my whole setup, Jeep, trailer, and motorhome. It totaled everything.

My 06 Rubis OPDA looks acceptable enough to me at 66k miles on it, that I choose not to go to war with Chrysler again (yet).

They never asked me to not say anything about them paying for it, but I chose not to, so as not to hurt my chances of it actually happening, until it did happen.

Hope that helps someone. Please do not PM me for more info. If you have questions, post them here.

2013 JKU Rubicon
Heath is offline  
post #1048 of 5449 Old 04-21-2011, 07:45 PM
Zeep
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Detroit rock city
Posts: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath View Post
Ok, since my 05 Rubi got totaled a few weeks ago, and my new 06 LJ Rubis OPDA looked good enough to Fog mod, I'll go ahead and tell my story.

I had a 05 tj rubicon with 66k miles on it that had massive wear on the cam and OPDA.

It was hitting a rev limiter at 3000 rpms and had a CPS code that set off the check engine light. I pulled the OPDA and it was trashed. The gear, bushing, shaft, cam, everything. You could move the OPDAs reluctor wheel so far back and forth in the housing that it would hit the inner walls.

I took the Jeep to the local Chrysler dealer who said it was going to need a new cam, OPDA, etc. I called Chrysler and began the fight.

They conceded that the vehicle had a recall performed on it. I argued that there was no sign on the OPDA that it had been redrilled for the new gear, as per the recall. This fact they never acknowledged.

After arguing for two days that the damage to the OPDA, and cam and any other collateral damage was a result of the recall never being done, or at best being done improperly, or unsuccessfully, they agreed to pay for a new everything, at no cost to me.

They said since the problem was "related" to the original recall, they would pay for it.

After waiting for months upon months for the OPDA to come in, before it ever came, (still hasn't came) my Jeep got destroyed by a fine upstanding citizen that was drinking malt liquor and smoking PCP, and crack, when he rear ended my whole setup, Jeep, trailer, and motorhome. It totaled everything.

My 06 Rubis OPDA looks acceptable enough to me at 66k miles on it, that I choose not to go to war with Chrysler again (yet).

They never asked me to not say anything about them paying for it, but I chose not to, so as not to hurt my chances of it actually happening, until it did happen.

Hope that helps someone. Please do not PM me for more info. If you have questions, post them here.
How was it that you had possesion of the Jeep, if every thing was so trashed, and not the dealer?

( sorry about your loss BTW )

JEEP THE AR-15 OF THE AUTOMOTIVE WORLD
Zeep is offline  
post #1049 of 5449 Old 04-21-2011, 09:33 PM
Jeffro06
Registered User
 
Jeffro06's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Total
Posts: 9,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeep View Post
How was it that you had possesion of the Jeep, if every thing was so trashed, and not the dealer?
It appears to me he noticed the bad OPDA before some idiot wrecked the jeep.
Jeffro06 is offline  
post #1050 of 5449 Old 04-21-2011, 09:35 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler
 
Rubi4MyMrs's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Trails of
Posts: 3,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
Just about every OPDA I've done require it to go on one way. I've done around 10. One was way off, but all had to go on the way it came off.

As Willy says, they are off center. Iím not sure if that was intended or not. That is probably why some replacement gears have only one hole in them (from what Iíve heard). That allows the buyer to finish drilling to match their particular misalignment.

Hereís where Iím at. As an update, I have an early Ď05 LJ that had the gear replaced as a recall. I have 25,000 miles now. I have not experienced any definite symptoms. A couple of times last Dec. I thought I may have heard the laughing monkey briefly but it was gone before I could stop & open the hood so Iím not sure

I just pulled the OPDA & disassembled it. Where to start? The gear had 4 holes (all 3/16") so it was a recalled gear that was re-drilled. I donít know where they got the replacement gears but they were apparently already drilled. They actually had to be re-drilled as part of the replacement process. I think I read that there even was a drill bit included in the package. I marked the gear to get it back in the correct place. Turns out I didnít have to do that. With 4 possibilities, only one matches, the others donít even comes close to matching. There was no binding & the shaft spun freely. The shaft had a little oil film on it including the top near the wheel. Wiping with a paper towel confirmed that. There is slight scoring (meaning not deep) on the lower shaft & signs of some heat to the top area. The bushings look pretty good. There is the typical dark ring on the shaft in the seal area. That ring is not grooved like some have experienced. The gear has a very uneven wear pattern. The contact area is much greater on one side than the other (180į apart). Iím not sure what that means but I suspect just poor manufacturing tolerances. It looks bad but the shinny area is not deep. As I said, I donít know where Chrysler got the replacement gears used in the recall. Maybe they were left over Ď04s? I couldnít get a real good look at the cam gear but it looks OK.

I checked the shaft end play. It has about .038Ē The other set of holes would reduce that to about .028Ē as the holes are at different distances from the end of the gear. Iím not sure if that was intentional or drilling error by the tech that drilled it.

That tech may have done me a favor. He apparently oiled the shaft before re-installation. Iím basing that on the fact that there was some oil on the shaft & when I removed the factory fill plug the grease in the reservoir was dried but not real hard.

I have now finished a modified FOGMod. I followed Willyís instructions but I installed an oil cup instead of the grease zerk. If it doesnít work as expected, I can change it to the zerk.




Heath, Sorry to hear about the í05 LJ. Sounds like you recovered nicely to find an í06 LJ Rubi. Iíve only seen one í05 subject to that recall besides mine & they both had the gear re-drilled so I agree with you that it wasnít done. I went on Jeep.com but canít find any verification that it was done on mine.
Attached Thumbnails
P4130133.JPG   P4130134.JPG   P54130131a.JPG   P54130140a.JPG   P4200150.JPG  

Rubi4MyMrs is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
2005 jeep tj needs help Smith TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 19 03-08-2013 02:49 PM
Jeep Fire - Catastophic Failure tjone2 JK Wrangler Technical Forum 83 07-11-2012 08:01 AM
Help jeep is possessed. electrical failure? btn2020 YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 7 11-22-2009 03:44 AM
Emissions Failure : 89 Jeep HC & CO sports100 YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 12 04-30-2009 10:48 AM
2005 Jeep COLORS????? rem TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 2 08-21-2004 07:25 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome