2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday SaNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-21-2011, 11:11 AM   #91
Zetto

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
I made this thread so everything was consolidated on the first page. Any extra info from members is welcomed and encouraged.

All I can say is come on nice weather so I can make a "how to pull your OPDA without issue" video. I'm glad you got it worked out.
willydigger, based on the pictures I supplied does the wear seam severe enough to need to be replaced ASAP?

Since the OPDA are back ordered 261 units as of yesterday I do not see one becoming available soon. For the time being I plan to replace the gear and install the FogMod. I just need to dedicate a Saturday to do it.

Zetto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #92
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetto View Post
willydigger, based on the pictures I supplied does the wear seam severe enough to need to be replaced ASAP?

Since the OPDA are back ordered 261 units as of yesterday I do not see one becoming available soon. For the time being I plan to replace the gear and install the FogMod. I just need to dedicate a Saturday to do it.
There will be wear. You'll have to decide what you're comfortable with. Based on the images I'd say it's not too bad, but it's definitely more than it should be. Can you do the FOGMod on the unit you have?

If not get some oil into the top bushing to buy some time. Change your oil to a higher ZDDP if you haven't already to prevent more damage.
Unread 01-21-2011, 12:29 PM   #93
steitsma
2006 TJ Wrangler 

"how to pull your OPDA without issue" video would be a great thing!!! Please advise when you have one available!
steitsma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2011, 01:16 PM   #94
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steitsma View Post
"how to pull your OPDA without issue" video would be a great thing!!! Please advise when you have one available!
It will be 25F in Baltimore tomorrow. I might try to do a quicky, but it might be hard to hear with my teeth chattering.
Unread 01-21-2011, 01:38 PM   #95
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It will be 25F in Baltimore tomorrow. I might try to do a quicky, but it might be hard to hear with my teeth chattering.
I wouldn't wish that on anyone! It's not pulling it that has me confused, it's putting the new one in after I have the old one out
Unread 01-21-2011, 01:48 PM   #96
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB View Post
I wouldn't wish that on anyone! It's not pulling it that has me confused, it's putting the new one in after I have the old one out
That's just as easy, but admittedly, a little worrisome. I had the same feeling when changing mine out. I marked, double marked, and triple marked it. I took pictures and did the panic dance. Then I put in the new one and it went in on the first try. Sometimes I worry myself out of doing things. It's the same reason I waited so long to do gears.
Unread 01-21-2011, 02:18 PM   #97
Zetto

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
There will be wear. You'll have to decide what you're comfortable with. Based on the images I'd say it's not too bad, but it's definitely more than it should be. Can you do the FOGMod on the unit you have?

If not get some oil into the top bushing to buy some time. Change your oil to a higher ZDDP if you haven't already to prevent more damage.
Hi willydigger,

I am going to try replacing the gear and install the FOGMod this weekend if I can find the gear locally (Any ideas where I might find it in? I understand Napa has a gear and the dealer may also have a gear/repair kit). When I first heard of the issue back in June I switched to Mobil 1 HM 10w30 with a K&N Gold filter that I have been changing every 3,000mi.
Zetto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2011, 02:51 PM   #98
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetto View Post
Hi willydigger,

I am going to try replacing the gear and install the FOGMod this weekend if I can find the gear locally (Any ideas where I might find it in? I understand Napa has a gear and the dealer may also have a gear/repair kit). When I first heard of the issue back in June I switched to Mobil 1 HM 10w30 with a K&N Gold filter that I have been changing every 3,000mi.
I didn't use an aftermarket gear. From what I've read on the boards it is troublesome. Unless you are pretty good with machining (matching holes, drilling straight, getting things right the first time) I would suggest avoiding it. Maybe someone who has done it can offer some advice. You can do the FOGMod and keep the existing gear. When new OPDA's become available get one as a back up. Protecting the upper bushing is key. With the amount of damage on your existing gear you may be fine.

All that said, please take some photos of your OPDA shaft specifically the upper bushing area. I'd like to get more "used" images for the thread for reference. You can post them to photobucket or email me and I'll post them up. Good luck.
Unread 01-21-2011, 04:48 PM   #99
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'm working on downloading a video now. It went well. I haven't seen it to know how it looks but at the very least it will get people headed in the right direction. There was an issue with reinsertion and the oil pump not lining up. It's better that way, so people can see what can go wrong. Unfortunately it caused a 10 minute delay which ate up my daylight. Once it gets done loading I'll try to put it on Youtube and link it here. It was freezing out.

Edit: Converting to movie is extremely slow.
Unread 01-21-2011, 05:02 PM   #100
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm working on downloading a video now. It went well. I haven't seen it to know how it looks but at the very least it will get people headed in the right direction. There was an issue with reinsertion and the oil pump not lining up. It's better that way, so people can see what can go wrong. Unfortunately it caused a 10 minute delay which ate up my daylight. Once it gets done loading I'll try to put it on Youtube and link it here. It was freezing out.
Awesome! The video in addition to the pictured instructions will be very helpful!
Unread 01-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #101
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I had my OPDA checked at the dealer today, and it was determined it needed to be replaced, but was caught in the early stages. I was told I'll have to pay no more than 50% of the cost. If Chrysler doesn't ask for the original one back the dealer said they'd give it to me.

Still no more chirpping. If you have an '05 or and '06 I'd strongly suggest doing the switch to synthetic Mobil 1 TDT 5W-40 asap, especially if you live where it gets eskimo cold.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2011, 05:22 PM   #102
TJXTWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
I had my OPDA checked at the dealer today, and it was determined it needed to be replaced, but was caught in the early stages. I was told I'll have to pay no more than 50% of the cost. If Chrysler doesn't ask for the original one back the dealer said they'd give it to me.

Still no more chirpping. If you have an '05 or and '06 I'd strongly suggest doing the switch to synthetic Mobil 1 TDT 5W-40 asap, especially if you live where it gets eskimo cold.
I assume this is because of the higher ZDDP levels? I am running Mobil 1 10-30 full synthetic and adding ZDDP to the oil. Is there another reason to run the TD oil?
03 TJ Sport, 4.5" RE SuperFlex short arm lift, Tereflfex ST swaybar, 33" MTR's, Body Armor bumpers @ sliders, 5 speed manual... 06 TJ Rubicon, 4.5" RE long arm lift, Currie Antirock front and rear , OR Fab bumpers @ sliders, K@N intake, custom exhaust, 1" BL , 1" motor mount lift, 35" MTR's on Pro Comp Alloys, 6 speed manual.
TJXTWO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2011, 05:26 PM   #103
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post

Do they have one? How much is 50% of the cost? You'll still have to modify it otherwise it will eventually fail again.
Unread 01-21-2011, 05:31 PM   #104
TJXTWO

The video should be helpful Willy. Your a trooper to be out there in freezing weather doing that.
03 TJ Sport, 4.5" RE SuperFlex short arm lift, Tereflfex ST swaybar, 33" MTR's, Body Armor bumpers @ sliders, 5 speed manual... 06 TJ Rubicon, 4.5" RE long arm lift, Currie Antirock front and rear , OR Fab bumpers @ sliders, K@N intake, custom exhaust, 1" BL , 1" motor mount lift, 35" MTR's on Pro Comp Alloys, 6 speed manual.
TJXTWO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2011, 05:36 PM   #105
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Do they have one? How much is 50% of the cost? You'll still have to modify it otherwise it will eventually fail again.
Modifying the replacement, before they install it, won't be possible. The dealer has to install it, I have to pay for it, then I get reimbursed. Not the best scenario, but if I get the original back, modification of both could be possible.

I was told the part is available, but I guess I'll know when it's in when they call me. I was told there was very little signs of wear, and the cam looked fine. I wasn't there to look at it, but I trust the shop.

I wasn't given an exact dollar amount, in fact the guy handling the claim wouldn't even give me a dollar amount, just that I should have to pay anymore than 50%. The dealer told me I shouldn't have to pay anymore than $100. I believe the dealer has the ability to help customers as with these things too, and I don't know if they are or not, didn't ask either.

Being as how my part chirpped just a couple of times before I changed the oil, and hasn't since I think, and the dealer thinks, I caught it very early.

One thing is for certain, I'm sticking with Mobil 1, despite it's price.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.