2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 69 - JeepForum.com
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1021 of 5534 Old 04-17-2011, 03:09 PM
JeepScrap
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm curious to see if anyone running the fogmod opda has pulled it to check for wear after putting a few thousand miles on it. Still skeptical as to if this mod actually works and is worth doing.

"Science will win in a battle with religion because it works." -Stephen Hawking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 5534 Old 04-17-2011, 03:15 PM
NextJeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have only 1000 miles since the mod. I will try to pull it next week and post pics. I can't imagine the Fog mod could do any harm. The peanut butter stuff from the factory seems nearly useless for lubrication.
post #1023 of 5534 Old 04-17-2011, 04:20 PM
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoghog4 View Post
I Read a few complaints for this issue on the following website under engine oiling.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety/Recalls+&+Defects
This is a safety issue.
Not a safety issue until there is someone hurt, almost hurt, or kilt! On the '02-.08 Dodge Rams with the 9.25" LSD rear axle there was never a recall as nobody was hurt. I know of at least 2 Rams that had total vehicle control lost due to the rear diff carrier falling apart and both of them wrecked, but no injury so no recall. Dodge never came up with a fix for it either.

And in the case of the OPDA, Chrysler Group never built a Jeep with one of these units in it. They never built a Jeep with the 4.0 engine. I do think Chrysler Group is doing a great job honoring the warranty on these to the point of actually having new OPDA's built. Where the problem will come to play is getting factory parts of any kind a couple years down the road for our TJ Jeeps.

2006 Solar Yellow Rubicon Unlimited
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!

post #1024 of 5534 Old 04-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Slugger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
Not a safety issue until there is someone hurt, almost hurt, or kilt! On the '02-.08 Dodge Rams with the 9.25" LSD rear axle there was never a recall as nobody was hurt. I know of at least 2 Rams that had total vehicle control lost due to the rear diff carrier falling apart and both of them wrecked, but no injury so no recall. Dodge never came up with a fix for it either.

And in the case of the OPDA, Chrysler Group never built a Jeep with one of these units in it. They never built a Jeep with the 4.0 engine. I do think Chrysler Group is doing a great job honoring the warranty on these to the point of actually having new OPDA's built. Where the problem will come to play is getting factory parts of any kind a couple years down the road for our TJ Jeeps.
I don't think they they are honoring a warranty at all. I'm sure it didn't cost them anymore to have this batch of OPDA's produced, that they are now selling for 3 times their original price. It seems that a high profit niche has opened up. Everyone has heard of the large markup on parts anyways, so we as Jeep enthusiast are going to keep paying for our lifestyle and they know it.If they build it, we will buy it, especially essential parts that haven't found their way to the aftermarket.
post #1025 of 5534 Old 04-18-2011, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepScrap View Post
I'm curious to see if anyone running the fogmod opda has pulled it to check for wear after putting a few thousand miles on it. Still skeptical as to if this mod actually works and is worth doing.
I had a few thousand on mine when I pulled it and the wear looked normal for a few thousand. The FogMOD is more to protect/prevent the upper bushing from binding more than a solution for the gear wear.

I think the damage to the camshaft gear will transfer to the OPDA gear. I don't think anyone should expect the FogMOD to fix this problem. We haven't determined to a certainty what the problem(s) is, so we don't have a definitive fix yet. The FogMOD should help with laughing monkey and upper bushing binding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1026 of 5534 Old 04-18-2011, 07:20 AM
JeepScrap
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the feedback and all the research and work you have put into this so far Willy. I keep following this thread hoping for some good news eventually. Have you found a grease that does the job yet? I know that was a bit of an issue.

Sent from my Droid using JeepForum

"Science will win in a battle with religion because it works." -Stephen Hawking
post #1027 of 5534 Old 04-18-2011, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepScrap View Post
...Have you found a grease that does the job yet?...
The Aeroshell is the best I've seen and I think tkki tried alternates too. I've updated the results section on the first page to show our results. I think the Aeroshell is the grease of choice to this point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1028 of 5534 Old 04-18-2011, 11:10 AM
Jeffro06

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
The "new" OPDA is in. Total cost: $445.89

I've sent my info to Jeep, now I'm waiting on my refund, I'll let you know how much they actually refund me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnorma1 View Post
WOW.....and you're hoping to get half of that back? I'd rather pay my $259 to DodgeWholesale and do it myself than deal with the dealership!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
I've been dealing with jeep since the begining, and was reimbursed all the money for a new drive gear on the old opda, so I know I'll get at least half back. I'd rather not pay anything, to anyone. I've been doing this "by the book" to see just how jeep would handle it, if you stayed on them. I could be taking one for the team, but it'll be nice to know just how they handled the entire situation, being as how I'm not the original owner and there is no warranty on the vehicle and no official reacall.

Oh, and if all I get back is half, I've still paid less than $259 and didn't get my hands dirty...
I recieved my check from Chrysler today, it's for $188.50. Thats's not quite half of "the costs incurred by me", as the rep put it, but it's something. Total cost, to me, for a new OPDA w/install was $257.39. Being as how it was dealer installed, should anything go wrong with this one, I'll be contacting Jeep / Chrysler again.

Member of JGW (Jeff's Gone Wheeling) and

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build:

post #1029 of 5534 Old 04-19-2011, 04:40 PM
2to1 Jeep wins
2011 MK Compass 

Is there a Part Number for just the gear? Or do all the gear replacement options require drilling of the shaft? Sorry if I missed it in the many pages....

Thanks
post #1030 of 5534 Old 04-19-2011, 05:37 PM
chutta
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Distributor Drive Gear by Crown Automotive and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware-RH1

05x 4.0 6sp 30/35, aussie front, 3.73's, r/c 4"x lift, adv adptr sye, shifter bracket, tw cv ds, 33 t/c skid, 33x12.5 dunlop mud rovers on steelies, psc sport cage/rockers, warn fr bump/steer and 30 diff skid, sirius,cb, hand throttle 1"bl/mml 265/16's pepboys at's on orig moabs for street. Lowrance H20c for gps
post #1031 of 5534 Old 04-19-2011, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2to1 Jeep wins View Post
Is there a Part Number for just the gear? Or do all the gear replacement options require drilling of the shaft? Sorry if I missed it in the many pages....

Thanks
I plan to update the front page. From what I gather, the Crown replacement gear will require you to drill a new hole through the shaft. The hole placement on the Crown gear does not match the factory gear for the 2005-06.

The other option is slightly more expensive. The 2004 OPDA (called a synchronizer) has a near identical (if not completely identical) gear. There have been conflicting reports that you have to widen the hole on the gear to fit the 3/16 hole in the shaft. You can reuse the existing shaft hole.

All that said, I have seen a couple OPDA's that are not drilled perfect center. This may mean that even with the 2004 gear you will have to re-drill. It is a gamble. I would recommend that anyone who is uncomfortable drilling a new hole through the OPDA shaft, to get the 2004 OPDA and try to make it work. Barring anything else a complete replacement or a trip to a local machine shop are the other options.

In a PM tkki1230 tried putting on the gear from a 2004 onto a 2005 OPDA shaft and had no problem.

For reference:
Crown Gear (requires drilling) $23 http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=11465

2004 Synchronizer (may not require drilling) $40 http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1425923&parttype=10722& partkey=972428&a=FRc1425923k972428-3384900

EDIT: Updated Q&A on the first page with this post.

EDIT 2: from PM with tkki1230
Quote:
Hi Willy,

I just went out to check, and I was able to install the 04 gear onto the 06 shaft, so the holes do line up correctly. Everything else about the gear looks exact, so it's safe to say that they are the same.

post #1032 of 5534 Old 04-19-2011, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I just purchased the 2004 CPS from RockAuto. Total cost $36.25 with shipping. When it gets here I take a slew of pics and update the thread.

post #1033 of 5534 Old 04-19-2011, 07:32 PM
tkki1230
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
I plan to update the front page. From what I gather, the Crown replacement gear will require you to drill a new hole through the shaft. The hole placement on the Crown gear does not match the factory gear for the 2005-06.

The other option is slightly more expensive. The 2004 OPDA (called a synchronizer) has a near identical (if not completely identical) gear. There have been conflicting reports that you have to widen the hole on the gear to fit the 3/16 hole in the shaft. You can reuse the existing shaft hole.

All that said, I have seen a couple OPDA's that are not drilled perfect center. This may mean that even with the 2004 gear you will have to re-drill. It is a gamble. I would recommend that anyone who is uncomfortable drilling a new hole through the OPDA shaft, to get the 2004 OPDA and try to make it work. Barring anything else a complete replacement or a trip to a local machine shop are the other options.

In a PM tkki1230 tried putting on the gear from a 2004 onto a 2005 OPDA shaft and had no problem.

For reference:
Crown Gear (requires drilling) $23 http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=11465

2004 Synchronizer (may not require drilling) $40 http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1425923&parttype=10722& partkey=972428&a=FRc1425923k972428-3384900

EDIT: Updated Q&A on the first page with this post.

EDIT 2: from PM with tkki1230
Willy,

For clarification purposes, the gear that I was playing with was a factory original 04 gear.
post #1034 of 5534 Old 04-20-2011, 07:27 AM
chutta
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you for the updates, I was just about to order the Crown gear. I haven't inspected mine in 3wks, but then again I'm not going anywhere much

05x 4.0 6sp 30/35, aussie front, 3.73's, r/c 4"x lift, adv adptr sye, shifter bracket, tw cv ds, 33 t/c skid, 33x12.5 dunlop mud rovers on steelies, psc sport cage/rockers, warn fr bump/steer and 30 diff skid, sirius,cb, hand throttle 1"bl/mml 265/16's pepboys at's on orig moabs for street. Lowrance H20c for gps
post #1035 of 5534 Old 04-20-2011, 08:37 AM
ChuckT6
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
I just purchased the 2004 CPS from RockAuto. Total cost $36.25 with shipping. When it gets here I take a slew of pics and update the thread.
I'm anxious to see if the aftermarket gear will fit the 05/06 shaft w/o any drilling.

Chuck Thomas
2006 Rubicon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.