2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 66 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 04-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #976
PA_LJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

To update the thread (i've been PMing with willydigger)..

Kia Dealership diagnosed upper bushing binding in my 06 LJ's OPDA. This is causing the laughing monkey. Service Tech claims NO unusual wear on the gear or engine internals. Zurich, who provides my extended warranty contract, is refusing to cover the repair as "ignition components" are not covered under my powertrain warranty. Kia wants 567 dollars to install a new OPDA.

I have a claim into Chrysler, they are supposed to call me back within a business day with a decision, that was yesterday. I'm not holding my breath.

I guess I am picking my Jeep up from Kia today, it's been there since Sunday with no resolution. I can no longer be without a vehicle, and after the battle I had with the Service Manager Vic, I no longer trust them to handle this repair, even if I were willing to pay them to do it.

Looks like I or Willydigger will be pulling the OPDA and examining the gear, then trying to rehab and FOGMod the existing OPDA if it is viable. If not I will be installing a new OPDA myself and FOGmodding.

I guess this is the cost to play the game. Just Empty Every Pocket.

Also my observations from reading the threads and dealing with this myself...

I have an 06 LJ with 30450 miles on the clock. There seems to be two issues that effect the 05/06 OPDA and can occur independantly, simultaneously or one can cause the other. An OPDA with bushing failure will eventually cause gear damage. Gear damage can occur without bushing issues. You could have OPDA problems with no signs or symptoms. If you are proactive and deal with this early you may save yourself and your OPDA. It seems to me that if you are proactive, FOGmod, and properly lubricate your bushings over time you may have no issues for the life of the jeep. In counter point you may replace the OPDA 30 times. Just like a Jeep, each and every one seems to be different.

My recommendations:
Repair or replace your OPDA (visually inspect and if damaged replace)
FOGmod
Run TDT oil
Check for proper lubrication and wear every 3-5k miles?

PA_LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #977
firefly21
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Eastwood's ZDDP Oil Additive

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s-z...DP%2B3+Special

anybody use this? its on sale
firefly21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2011, 12:19 PM   #978
Fusco
Hey Now

2006 TJ Wrangler 

gotta wonder out of all the '05-'06 Wranglers made how many have this issue......

i have a neighbor with a '05 Wrangler X with over 175k and no issues. the only thing he does the oil every few months, thats it :-/ well brakes etc.
Fusco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2011, 03:03 PM   #979
-JD-
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_LJ View Post
[snip]
Kia Dealership diagnosed upper bushing binding in my 06 LJ's OPDA. This is causing the laughing monkey. Service Tech claims NO unusual wear on the gear or engine internals. Zurich, who provides my extended warranty contract, is refusing to cover the repair as "ignition components" are not covered under my powertrain warranty. Kia wants 567 dollars to install a new OPDA.
[snip]
Well, from my reading here, the upper half provides injection, not ignition synchronization.

More importantly the part is called the OPDA or Oil Pump Drive Assembly. Ask them if they really want to replace or rebuild the motor when it the ODPA seizes and stops pumping oil which then seizes the whole engine.

From the '06 TJ Parts manual Page 124
Quote:
5 53010624AC 1 ER0 DRIVE, OIL PUMP
2006 Rubicon Unlimited 6-Sp Manual - 285/75/16 Cooper ST MAXX/stock Moab wheels, Savvy Under Armor BL/MML, Savvy Step-Rocker/Sliders, Savvy/Currie Ultimate Steering, Savvy UCAs, Currie LCAs, TBs and BSs, Nth/AEV 3" Springs, Rancho 9000XLs (255s/256s), ARB D44 Diff covers, Savvy/Tom Woods HD Rubicon Rear drive shaft, Genright Safari 31gal Tank Soon: Savvy LED Lights, new engine :-(
-JD- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2011, 03:50 PM   #980
PA_LJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Kia refunded my money for diagnosis. I probably will never be allowed back at Kia. I tried the engine failure tactic with zurich. They said if the opda causes the engine failure none of my repair will be covered because a non-covered component caused the failure.

At this point I'm so frustrated with the whole process that I'm just going to fix myself. The sad part is that this is the key to the industry. They put you off enough to frustrate you into not dealing with the problem or with them, then they don't have to deal with you anymore.

Even Chrysler kept repeating, take it to chrysler dealer for diagnosis.
PA_LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2011, 04:41 PM   #981
chutta
2005 TJ Wrangler 

At this point I'm so frustrated with the whole process that I'm just going to fix myself. The sad part is that this is the key to the industry. They put you off enough to frustrate you into not dealing with the problem or with them, then they don't have to deal with you anymore.

sounds like the for profit "health" industry
05x 4.0 6sp 30/35, aussie front, 3.73's, r/c 4"x lift, adv adptr sye, shifter bracket, tw cv ds, 33 t/c skid, 33x12.5 dunlop mud rovers on steelies, psc sport cage/rockers, warn fr bump/steer and 30 diff skid, sirius,cb, hand throttle 1"bl/mml 265/16's pepboys at's on orig moabs for street. Lowrance H20c for gps
chutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #982
TJXTWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly21 View Post
Eastwood's ZDDP Oil Additive

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s-z...DP%2B3+Special

anybody use this? its on sale
Yep, I have been using it for years. I just got a 25 bottle case last month.

I also just received my new OPDA from Dodge wholesale ($267.00 with some extra gaskets). I have about 15k on my existing OPDA, and am planning on pulling it and Fog modding it. I will keep the new one as a back-up (as long as the existing one has not sustained much damage).
03 TJ Sport, 4.5" RE SuperFlex short arm lift, Tereflfex ST swaybar, 33" MTR's, Body Armor bumpers @ sliders, 5 speed manual... 06 TJ Rubicon, 4.5" RE long arm lift, Currie Antirock front and rear , OR Fab bumpers @ sliders, K@N intake, custom exhaust, 1" BL , 1" motor mount lift, 35" MTR's on Pro Comp Alloys, 6 speed manual.
TJXTWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2011, 11:37 PM   #983
goul6891

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJXTWO View Post
I also just received my new OPDA from Dodge wholesale ($267.00 with some extra gaskets). I have about 15k on my existing OPDA, and am planning on pulling it and Fog modding it. I will keep the new one as a back-up (as long as the existing one has not sustained much damage).
Mine just came in also. Pulled it apart to do the FOGmod and looks like Chrysler may have made them a little better this go round.

My engine had the the revision 'E' OPDA from the factory. This new one is still a revision 'E', but the seal between the bushings has been omitted, and a black plastic spacer/seal(.825 OD, .535 ID, .107 thick) has been added above the upper bushing, below the 'wheel'

I'll run it for a few days without modification, and check if it's getting lubrication up top and post the results.
goul6891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 06:36 AM   #984
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goul6891 View Post
Mine just came in also. Pulled it apart to do the FOGmod and looks like Chrysler may have made them a little better this go round.

My engine had the the revision 'E' OPDA from the factory. This new one is still a revision 'E', but the seal between the bushings has been omitted, and a black plastic spacer/seal(.825 OD, .535 ID, .107 thick) has been added above the upper bushing, below the 'wheel'

I'll run it for a few days without modification, and check if it's getting lubrication up top and post the results.
That sounds more they forgot to install the seal. My Rev E has the plastic spacer as well and has the seal.
Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 07:06 AM   #985
mhcurlee
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney View Post
That sounds more they forgot to install the seal. My Rev E has the plastic spacer as well and has the seal.
Do you think this problem is related to assembly screw-ups? For example, putting the seal in the wrong place? Maybe that is the difference between the people that have the issue and those that don't???
mhcurlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 07:55 AM   #986
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney View Post
Forgetting the seal may be an improvement. I think it's still there. I haven't seen a "new" one, but without sealing the upper bushing I doubt any internal changes were made.

goul, you should have a black spacer on your existing unit. All the old units have one. I would take a real good look next time you have it out.

Below is the shaft with the black plastic washer.

Below is the seal.

Unread 04-08-2011, 10:24 AM   #987
TJXTWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by goul6891 View Post

Hmmm, I need to check it out and compare it to the old one. Good info.
03 TJ Sport, 4.5" RE SuperFlex short arm lift, Tereflfex ST swaybar, 33" MTR's, Body Armor bumpers @ sliders, 5 speed manual... 06 TJ Rubicon, 4.5" RE long arm lift, Currie Antirock front and rear , OR Fab bumpers @ sliders, K@N intake, custom exhaust, 1" BL , 1" motor mount lift, 35" MTR's on Pro Comp Alloys, 6 speed manual.
TJXTWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #988
smoghog4
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Think I have this problem and a few questions

Hi Guys,

49,000 miles on my 2006 Rubicon Unlimited. I think I have this problem as my jeep stopped cold on my wife after what I thought was a belt squeal a couple days prior. I was stumped as I was getting erratic spark and injector pulse. I changed the Crank sensor to no avail. My question is If the gear is worn on the OPDA did the seizing shaft cause the premature wear on the gear/cam relationip? If I replace this unit with the mod will I still see wear on the gear. Is the real total fix replacing the camshaft, and a Modded OPDA.
smoghog4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 11:54 AM   #989
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoghog4 View Post
Hi Guys,

49,000 miles on my 2006 Rubicon Unlimited. I think I have this problem as my jeep stopped cold on my wife after what I thought was a belt squeal a couple days prior. I was stumped as I was getting erratic spark and injector pulse. I changed the Crank sensor to no avail. My question is If the gear is worn on the OPDA did the seizing shaft cause the premature wear on the gear/cam relationip? If I replace this unit with the mod will I still see wear on the gear. Is the real total fix replacing the camshaft, and a Modded OPDA.
I suspect you will still have wear. It depends on the level of damage currently on the camshaft. If you have money to throw at a replacement camshaft that should help. Then you could break it in with a high ZDDP and hopefully prevent or at least prolong the issue from returning.

The gear in appearance is the same as the 2004 model which doesn't show the same level of wear. I wouldn't expect the camshaft gear to be different between models so I would suspect the low ZDDP during break-in is a factor. Some 2005-06 models show no binding symptoms, yet still have wear.

If you trashed the OPDA gear, I would think a new camshaft is in your future anyway.
Unread 04-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #990
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoghog4 View Post
Hi Guys,

Since you said it stopped cold, have you been able to restart it? I hope so, otherwise maybe you have a gear failure. If so, the OPDA isn't turning (check that by removing the black cap) which means no fuel timing (or oil pumping). After a gear failure you have more serious issues. Besides the probable cam gear damage, you will have a lot of metal throughout the engine.

With enough gear wear prior to failure the OPDA may retard enough to throw a CEL code. I presume that is what you meant by erratic spark/injector pulse?

As far as the wear issue, what Willy said + I don't think anyone knows for sure what the "total fix" is.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.