2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 63 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 03-31-2011, 10:27 AM   #931
chutta
2005 TJ Wrangler 

They've been coached to deny to save Chrysler's ***

05x 4.0 6sp 30/35, aussie front, 3.73's, r/c 4"x lift, adv adptr sye, shifter bracket, tw cv ds, 33 t/c skid, 33x12.5 dunlop mud rovers on steelies, psc sport cage/rockers, warn fr bump/steer and 30 diff skid, sirius,cb, hand throttle 1"bl/mml 265/16's pepboys at's on orig moabs for street. Lowrance H20c for gps
chutta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2011, 10:32 AM   #932
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_LJ View Post
Kia will be looking at my heep on Monday. My local dodge dealership has no clue what I'm talking about and their database shows national backorder for parts. They could not find info about affected 06 model years either.
Good luck to anyone trying to get this fixed...no one seems to have any clue when u start asking questions.
Dodge-wholesale.com has them in stock with gasket for $253. I assume your deductible for the dealer is $100 so you might not want to go through dodge-wholesale unless you have to.

There is no info to find regarding 2006 models. There is no recall or TSB regarding the OPDA. All they need to have is the part in stock. My dealer in Baltimore also tried the "not covered under warranty" for my 7yr/70K, until I questioned the logic. Be prepared for that fight.

Once you get the OPDA replaced seriously consider the FogMOD to protect the upper bushing. I would also highly recommend you changed to a higher ZDDP oil like the valvoline VR1 or Mobil 1 TDT.
Unread 03-31-2011, 11:10 AM   #933
PA_LJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
Dodge-wholesale.com has them in stock with gasket for $253. I assume your deductible for the dealer is $100 so you might not want to go through dodge-wholesale unless you have to.

There is no info to find regarding 2006 models. There is no recall or TSB regarding the OPDA. All they need to have is the part in stock. My dealer in Baltimore also tried the "not covered under warranty" for my 7yr/70K, until I questioned the logic. Be prepared for that fight.

Once you get the OPDA replaced seriously consider the FogMOD to protect the upper bushing. I would also highly recommend you changed to a higher ZDDP oil like the valvoline VR1 or Mobil 1 TDT.
I spoke directly with Dodge-wholesale who quoted me 370 bucks for the OPDA without gasket. Just FYI. Guy there also couldn't explain the price increase.

Guy at Dodge-wholesale had matching part numbers to whats in this thread.

Local DCJ dealer came back with part numbers : Drive Gear - CDC0E051AB (OPDA repair kit? includes gear, roll pin, crush washer, plastic bushing?) and Cam Shaft Assembly (he called this OPDA) CDC0E052AB (revised) for 280.00. When I gave him the part numbers from Dodge-wholesale he acted dumbfounded. EDIT Neither of these part numbers are available. Both on National Backorder. /EDIT

Wanna do the fog mod for me? I am not very inclined to modify an internal component with my minimal mechanical abilities.
PA_LJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2011, 11:15 AM   #934
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I spoke directly with Dodge-wholesale who quoted me 370 bucks for the OPDA without gasket. Just FYI. Guy there also couldn't explain the price increase.
The website says $253. I usually deal with Bobby. If it really is $370, pull it and clean it and wait for the dealer to handle it.

Bobby
RT Partsco
1-888-956-6727

The price increase is gouging from Chrysler.

http://dodge-wholesale.com/catalog/p...944dd10dd99e76
Unread 03-31-2011, 12:38 PM   #935
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
The website says $253. I usually deal with Bobby. If it really is $370, pull it and clean it and wait for the dealer to handle it.

Bobby
RT Partsco
1-888-956-6727

The price increase is gouging from Chrysler.

http://dodge-wholesale.com/catalog/p...944dd10dd99e76
I emailed Bobby regarding the cost:

Quote:
List price is $377

Our price is $253.12

Thank You

Bobby
RT Partsco
1-888-956-6727
Unread 03-31-2011, 12:53 PM   #936
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Guy at Dodge-wholesale had matching part numbers to whats in this thread.

Local DCJ dealer came back with part numbers : Drive Gear - CDC0E051AB (OPDA repair kit? includes gear, roll pin, crush washer, plastic bushing?) and Cam Shaft Assembly (he called this OPDA) CDC0E052AB (revised) for 280.00. When I gave him the part numbers from Dodge-wholesale he acted dumbfounded. EDIT Neither of these part numbers are available. Both on National Backorder. /EDIT

Wanna do the fog mod for me? I am not very inclined to modify an internal component with my minimal mechanical abilities.
Those PN's match the old repair kit that Chrysler was offering. This was posted way back in the first thread. I didn't think it was made anymore. The PN for the OPDA is 53010624AC. It may be listed as distributor or camshaft position sensor.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ch...ml#post9912225

Below is a link to an early spreadsheet highlighting the info they/we collected early on.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...=0&output=html
Unread 03-31-2011, 01:21 PM   #937
anderson5290
1998 XJ Cherokee 

here are some pics of my opda that failed at only 44,500 miles.
let me know if the wear looks bad it does to me
opda1.jpg   opda2.jpg   opda.jpg  
anderson5290 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2011, 01:35 PM   #938
Shakey
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have a 2005, 82,000 miles, and have never had any strange sounds like people describe in this thread. As a result, it's unlikely I'll pull the assembly and check for wear.

What is the likely damage if it fails? If it's just cam, lifters and OPDA, I can live with that because at that point I'll be really close to 100,000 miles and ready for an engine build involving upgraded parts.

And not that I don't believe this is a problem, but I assume there were approximately 200,000 Wranglers made in 2005-2006. At this point, many of those models are nearing 100,000 miles (like mine). Does anyone have any numbers showing actual OPDA failures?

Edit: I re-read the original TSB and noticed it referenced only 16,000 Jeeps impacted by the issue. Is there any reason to believe the problem goes beyond those 16,000 identified for the TSB?
Shakey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2011, 01:39 PM   #939
mattwings
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I just ordered on from RT partsco. I have not pulled mine yet, but have 60 k miles so assume it is on it's way out. Is the fogMod proving to work? I would be hesitant to try it myself, as I have a limited shop at home, but would take the offer to do it for me if the mod is working
mattwings is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2011, 02:02 PM   #940
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwings View Post
I just ordered on from RT partsco. I have not pulled mine yet, but have 60 k miles so assume it is on it's way out. Is the fogMod proving to work? I would be hesitant to try it myself, as I have a limited shop at home, but would take the offer to do it for me if the mod is working
The mod is in the early stages and there is no guarantee that it will prevent the gear wear. What it will do is reduce friction on the upper bushing that should help prolong and potentially eliminate the binding issue (which in turn should reduce wear on the gear by proxy). tkki, Fog, and myself have had good results with upper bushing and shaft wear.

What did you pay from dodge-wholesale/RT Partsco?
Unread 03-31-2011, 02:54 PM   #941
tkki1230
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey View Post
I have a 2005, 82,000 miles, and have never had any strange sounds like people describe in this thread. As a result, it's unlikely I'll pull the assembly and check for wear.

What is the likely damage if it fails? If it's just cam, lifters and OPDA, I can live with that because at that point I'll be really close to 100,000 miles and ready for an engine build involving upgraded parts.

And not that I don't believe this is a problem, but I assume there were approximately 200,000 Wranglers made in 2005-2006. At this point, many of those models are nearing 100,000 miles (like mine). Does anyone have any numbers showing actual OPDA failures?

Edit: I re-read the original TSB and noticed it referenced only 16,000 Jeeps impacted by the issue. Is there any reason to believe the problem goes beyond those 16,000 identified for the TSB?
Here's what I know for sure-the top bushing will run out of lubrication sooner or later. That's a fact. It's not a matter of if. The design of the unit sucks.

I'm not saying that the unit will fail. I'm saying that it will get to the point where that shaft is spinning metal on metal after the factory grease runs out. Whether or not the unit actually fails when that happens is another question.

As for me, I'm so anal, just knowing that a ticking time bomb waiting to go off is attached to my TJ gives me stress. Just doing the modifications gives me some peace of mind. Not much, but a little.
tkki1230 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2011, 03:01 PM   #942
Baseplate
2006 TJ Wrangler 

My OPDA is on its way from Mopar-Wholesale

Part Number Part Description Quantity Price Total
J3181288 SEAL DISTRIBUTOR 1 $1.90 $1.90
53010624AC DISTRIBTR OIL PUMP 1 $253.12 $253.12

This will be the first FOGMOD OPDA in Australia!
Baseplate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2011, 04:35 PM   #943
Zeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey View Post

If your perfectly willing to accept blown 4.0 at 100k, thats fine. I believe the majority of people on this forum, were expecting at least twice that amount. The 4.0 has a rock-solid dependability record, that is now being flawed by one single component (OPDA), that Chrysler changed out in the last 2 yrs of production.

You may not be aware that if your cam, lifters, OPDA, oil pump are wiped out, the resulting sraptnel in your engine, will make a rebuild next to impossible! Both mechanically or economically.
Unread 03-31-2011, 04:48 PM   #944
mattwings
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I think the zinc/phosphorous additive issue is partially to blame for the camshaft and oil pump gear issue as well. It is well documented that older, flat tappet engines do not do well without the additive. There a a very few "off road only"' oils that maintain high levelsmof Zinc/Phosphorous as detailed in other threads on his forum. I am going to run Valvoline high milegemsynthetic which, based onnthe info I have found, contains almost the same levels of additive oldermoils contained. Mobil 1 synthetic high mileage appears to be similar as well.
mattwings is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2011, 05:47 PM   #945
mhcurlee
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwings View Post
I think the zinc/phosphorous additive issue is partially to blame for the camshaft and oil pump gear issue as well. It is well documented that older, flat tappet engines do not do well without the additive. There a a very few "off road only"' oils that maintain high levelsmof Zinc/Phosphorous as detailed in other threads on his forum. I am going to run Valvoline high milegemsynthetic which, based onnthe info I have found, contains almost the same levels of additive oldermoils contained. Mobil 1 synthetic high mileage appears to be similar as well.
Just put in a bottle of inexpensive STP oil treatment. It has a lot of ZDDP
mhcurlee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.