2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 53 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #781
Zetto

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
Everything is covered in the first page. M1 turbo diesel truck 5w40. There is valvoline vr1 too.
My local Walmart has the 4qt jugs of Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 for $23.

Zetto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2011, 07:09 PM   #782
xxxxxMCAD135
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Dont have a problem with this. Checked the history on my TJ after I bought it and after 30k miles it still looks new. Talked to the techs at work that said they remembered the recall and mine looks taken care of with no problems. Some slight wear on two of the blades but nothing out of the ordinary.
xxxxxMCAD135 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2011, 11:08 PM   #783
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAD135 View Post
Dont have a problem with this. Checked the history on my TJ after I bought it and after 30k miles it still looks new. Talked to the techs at work that said they remembered the recall and mine looks taken care of with no problems. Some slight wear on two of the blades but nothing out of the ordinary.
Have you looked at the gear personally? I wonder if the gear was replaced. They drill a new hole in the shaft. Please don't take offense, but I would not rely on a Chrysler tech to tell me anything truthful or helpful.
Unread 03-12-2011, 11:45 PM   #784
BNLfan
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetto View Post
The units will carry the same part number as before and my contact says no changes have been made.
Well, crap. I was being optimistic the increase in price was because they fixed the problem. Now I'm wondering which would be better:

(A) order a new one and do the FOGMOD on it, so it's a brand new gear.
(B) pull mine out and do the FOGMOD on it; if I screw it up then order a new one.

In either option, I'm going to pull it out every oil change and see how it's wearing and replace when fully striated.

I just changed the oil tonight to Rotella 5W-40 synthetic. I found some gallon jugs at AutoZone that still had the old CI-4, SL rating. (1300 ppm zddp). I still need to order the grease, though.
BNLfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2011, 07:53 AM   #785
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNLfan View Post
Well, crap. I was being optimistic the increase in price was because they fixed the problem. Now I'm wondering which would be better:

(A) order a new one and do the FOGMOD on it, so it's a brand new gear.
(B) pull mine out and do the FOGMOD on it; if I screw it up then order a new one.

In either option, I'm going to pull it out every oil change and see how it's wearing and replace when fully striated.

I just changed the oil tonight to Rotella 5W-40 synthetic. I found some gallon jugs at AutoZone that still had the old CI-4, SL rating. (1300 ppm zddp). I still need to order the grease, though.
How bad is the old one? With the price of the new on (granted it's still cheaper than a new motor) if the old one isn't bad (minor gear wear, NO resistance in the shaft spinning) then do the mod on that one. A lot of guys like having a spare, and that is a good practice, but it is possible to make an existing OPDA last longer. If it is true that the new OPDA is the same and you decide to purchase it, I would absolutely modify it.
Unread 03-13-2011, 08:02 AM   #786
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Another bit of info.

I've been getting a few PMs about squeals in cold weather. When my OPDA began squealing it was in late August. It squealed for a few weeks before I tracked it down and found the info on the boards. In August the temps in MD were 80-100F. That said in the winter and cold time months, I have all sorts of noises. I get Angry Sparrows in the drive shafts, my radiator fan knocks, I have the traditional 4.0 valve tick, and on occasion I have the high pitched belt squeal. These are what I consider Jeep noises. It's what the radio is for.

Relating to the OPDA squeal. I think the Laughing Monkey is the tell tale noise for the OPDA. The noise will be on start up only and will not be weather related. It can last for a few seconds or for a minute or two. It will eventually stop after the motor heats up a bit (assuming it allows stuff to expand and reduce friction). The OPDA will still squeal in the summer.

I hope that helps.
Unread 03-13-2011, 09:11 AM   #787
BNLfan
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Jeep noises. It's what the radio is for.

Quote:
Relating to the OPDA squeal. I think the Laughing Monkey is the tell tale noise for the OPDA. The noise will be on start up only and will not be weather related. It can last for a few seconds or for a minute or two. It will eventually stop after the motor heats up a bit (assuming it allows stuff to expand and reduce friction). The OPDA will still squeal in the summer.
I washed the jeep one day and took it for a spin and heard this high-pitched squeal. Figured it was just the belt got wet from the hose and it went away after I got to speed, and haven't heard it again. Then stumbled across this forum and you guys and my heart sank. Pulled it out and it's worn, but not bad like some of the other pics we've seen.

But in any case, here's a heart-felt thanks to you and The Fog and everybody else who has contributed to the knowledge pool on this one. You guys have been a great help on this one to me and I'm sure a lot of other lurkers on the forum.
BNLfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2011, 06:15 PM   #788
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I pulled my OPDA after changing the oil. I'll post some pics up later. The bottom shaft looked good. It had oil, but I have a groove. The scoring didn't advance beyond the pic at 500 miles. The upper bushing was okay. The Aeroshell is much better than the Mobil 220. It didn't clean up as well as I'd hoped. The gear teeth looked a bit worse so I think it may be the normal wear.

Here is the gear. The wear spots are small, but larger than before.

Here is the bottom shaft. There is scoring, but it's not bad.

Here is the upper. It is dark, but the grease is wet.

Notice the really dark spot below. This did not wipe away clean. My batteries died on the camera so I didn't get a shot. The entire upper wiped away clean except for the dark spot.

It didn't feel weird. The bushings looked good with minor wear. I would expect the wear on metal to metal contact. Overall the OPDA was in good shaft. The mileage is 69K, 2000 more than the first pics. Below are the before images for easy comparison.

Actually now that I look at the before pics, the gear teeth look the same. The shaft cleaned up nice and shiny like the before pics. I'm disappointed because I wanted to Aeroshell to wipe away with no marks. While it was much better than the 220, it wasn't perfect. Now my experiment is to put a little less grease in. I was pumping it until it got hard to pump. Maybe it was too much grease.

tkki, when you pulled yours did it have any discoloration?
Unread 03-14-2011, 07:22 PM   #789
xxxxxMCAD135
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Have you looked at the gear personally? I wonder if the gear was replaced. They drill a new hole in the shaft. Please don't take offense, but I would not rely on a Chrysler tech to tell me anything truthful or helpful.
Im a Chrysler tech, thanks.

Anyway, yes I looked it at and it looked brand new. The TJ has 30k miles on it and its only been serviced with us. No history of replacement and I know for a fact the old lady that owned it before me didnt do it herself.
xxxxxMCAD135 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2011, 08:45 PM   #790
tkki1230
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
tkki, when you pulled yours did it have any discoloration?
Yes, it did get darker, but not as bad as yours. I'm trying Mobil 28 on the latest test, to see if it does better than the Aeroshell. I should be pulling my unit out in a couple of weeks to see how it did.
tkki1230 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2011, 09:15 PM   #791
solarpower
2004 TJ Wrangler 

that gear looks real nice willy. the bad thing is that actual pre-mature wear probably won't be obvious until around 15- 20k I would bet...unless the cam is already tore up.

Great pics
Unread 03-15-2011, 12:50 PM   #792
westx
2012 JK Wrangler 

is chrysler even trying to fix the problem? i know crown is looking into it but wasnt sure if chrysler was doing anything.
westx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2011, 12:53 PM   #793
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by westx View Post
is chrysler even trying to fix the problem? i know crown is looking into it but wasnt sure if chrysler was doing anything.
Why would they? Nothing is forcing them to. Its an outdated motor and everyones warranties are expired or expiring. Chrystler doesnt care. Dont believe me? Give em a call and see how they treat you.
Unread 03-15-2011, 01:11 PM   #794
westx
2012 JK Wrangler 

well that sucks, hopefully we get a fix somewhere.
westx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2011, 01:19 PM   #795
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by westx View Post
is Chrysler even trying to fix the problem? i know crown is looking into it but wasn't sure if Chrysler was doing anything.
Unfortunately there are a couple issues here. The company that built your Jeep, Chrysler LLC, designed the part and obviously it has flaws. The current company that sells the Jeep line, Chrysler Group, never built a 4.0 engine or a OPDA thingie. And I know the old Chrysler LLC, now called Old Carco, was famous for not fixing flawed stuff they sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fropleyqk View Post
Why would they? Nothing is forcing them to. Its an outdated motor and everyone's warranties are expired or expiring. Chrysler doesn't care. Don't believe me? Give em a call and see how they treat you.
Yup, it is an outdated deal and there are a very small number of them around anyway. A much lower number still on warranty. I sure don't see them working overtime to design a better mouse trap. But in a sense I am impressed they are trying to get a supplier to build replacements for these. Hey, it's a part they never built or sold!
Customer loyalty and service has never been Chrysler's big ticket item. I have always liked their products and will continue to buy them, but I know I'll never get great customer service.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.