2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 52 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Reply
Unread 03-10-2011, 12:14 PM   #766
westx
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: odessa, tx
Posts: 13
i just wish i had known about this issue a few days ago, i just got my 06 and couldnt be happier until i found out about this. wish i could take it back.

if its a known issue they shouldnt be selling me a jeep with defects. i got it from a jeep dealership, i figure they should have some info on this.

westx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2011, 12:47 PM   #767
JeepScrap
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: , NJ
Posts: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by westx
i just wish i had known about this issue a few days ago, i just got my 06 and couldnt be happier until i found out about this. wish i could take it back.

if its a known issue they shouldnt be selling me a jeep with defects. i got it from a jeep dealership, i figure they should have some info on this.
Think they care if your Jeep breaks down? Its all about the almighty buck. Besides, car dealers are the biggest scum bags on the planet.

Don't worry about it man. Order an opda so you have one on hand and just drive the Jeep and have fun. I was super stressed about this issue when I bought my Jeep back in November as well but I've come to grips with it. Just check it periodically and replace as necessary. I'm sure someone will eventually put out an aftermarket opda that fixes it for good.

Sent from my Droid using JeepForum
__________________
"Science will win in a battle with religion because it works." -Stephen Hawking
JeepScrap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #768
westx
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: odessa, tx
Posts: 13
thanks for the advice, i love this thing already so its a little hard to hear any bad news about the jeep, hope a permanent fix comes soon for all of us.
westx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2011, 01:29 PM   #769
pizzle
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 108
I have one that doesn't have the gear on it, since we took that gear off and used it on my original OPDA that we Fog-modded. Willydigger modded it with/for me.

I would absolutely need to get the OPDA unit back from him when he's done however, since the supplier has decided to screw us over on the price of these things!

Send me a PM with his contact info and I'll see what his thoughts are on using my OPDA.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JBD View Post
Adam from Crown is looking for an OPDA to use in his research. Anyone have one?
pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2011, 01:36 PM   #770
TotallyScrewed
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Berthoud, Colorado
Posts: 65
Problem with Filter Mag??

1) This is a poled magnet that fits around the oil filter. There is no way to determine its effectiveness, unless you have a see-through oil filter and clear oil.
2) Because it is a poled magnet, only two places will have high flux concentration. Remember the horseshoe magnet and iron filings demonstration. Only a relatively small portion of the thing (I'm guessing <10% of the surface area) could possibly attract and hold magnetic particles.
3) The oil is thick and the particles are likely to be irregular in shape and size. Only the big particles will have enough mass to be attracted. Only the really close to the magnetic poles particles will have enough attraction to move through the oil, against the normal flow of oil and then remain attached to the wall of the oil filter.
4) A properly maintain oil filter, that is changed at the proper intervals, will trap the larger particles. So they won't be in the fluid for long anyway.
5) The small particles aren't a big problem.
TotallyScrewed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2011, 02:07 PM   #771
ChaseB
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyScrewed View Post
Problem with Filter Mag??

1) This is a poled magnet that fits around the oil filter. There is no way to determine its effectiveness, unless you have a see-through oil filter and clear oil.
2) Because it is a poled magnet, only two places will have high flux concentration. Remember the horseshoe magnet and iron filings demonstration. Only a relatively small portion of the thing (I'm guessing <10% of the surface area) could possibly attract and hold magnetic particles.
3) The oil is thick and the particles are likely to be irregular in shape and size. Only the big particles will have enough mass to be attracted. Only the really close to the magnetic poles particles will have enough attraction to move through the oil, against the normal flow of oil and then remain attached to the wall of the oil filter.
4) A properly maintain oil filter, that is changed at the proper intervals, will trap the larger particles. So they won't be in the fluid for long anyway.
5) The small particles aren't a big problem.
at 80 bucks it's pretty expensive. I have seen demonstrations where people have cut open the filter and there was a metallic film held in place by the magnet.....not sure how beneficial trapping liquid metal would be
__________________
[B]1984 CJ-7[/B] Renegade
[B]2005 TJ X [/B](daily driver)
ChaseB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2011, 02:12 PM   #772
willydigger
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzle View Post
I have one that doesn't have the gear on it, since we took that gear off and used it on my original OPDA that we Fog-modded. Willydigger modded it with/for me.

I would absolutely need to get the OPDA unit back from him when he's done however, since the supplier has decided to screw us over on the price of these things!

Send me a PM with his contact info and I'll see what his thoughts are on using my OPDA.
I think Adam has one already.
__________________
WHODEY
willydigger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2011, 11:31 AM   #773
Zetto
Member
 
Zetto's Avatar
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 205
I have good news and bad news. I received an update from my contact at Chrysler this week. According to them the OPDA supplier is going to be shipping at least ~300 units to dealers this month. These units are for vehicles that are sitting on dealer lots and for customers that have placed an order. They said there is a potential that the supplier could ship up to 5,000 units by the end of the month.

The units will carry the same part number as before and my contact says no changes have been made.

According to my contact the increase in price is likely due to a new supplier/contract (I know LDI is still in business but they may have gone elsewhere for the order).

I highly recommend anyone who purchases the unit take Chrysler to small claims court due to the increase in cost. Additionally, if your vehicle has sustained additional damage or you have been left without a vehicle while the unit was back ordered you should seek additional damages. It is a simple process to file a claim and unlikely that they will show.
Zetto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #774
chutta
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: grand rapids, mi
Posts: 1,190
I just re-inspected my OPDA again today. The gear is showing more wear, approx 1/2 across teeth, internal gear seems to be same as a month ago.
I did notice(first time disassembling the part) that oil was in fact up under the wheel, the black washer being wet and oil at the base of the outside of the bushing.
Looks to me that in fact the top bushing is getting lubed. I did measure a groove on the shaft where the bottom edge of the top bushing rides of .002", body of shaft being .528"
I don't think this is due the top bushing being dry, otherwise why the oil up top?
__________________
05x 4.0 6sp 30/35, aussie front, 3.73's, r/c 4"x lift, adv adptr sye, shifter bracket, tw cv ds, 33 t/c skid, 33x12.5 dunlop mud rovers on steelies, psc sport cage/rockers, warn fr bump/steer and 30 diff skid, sirius,cb, hand throttle 1"bl/mml 265/16's pepboys at's on orig moabs for street. Lowrance H20c for gps
chutta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #775
willydigger
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutta View Post
I just re-inspected my OPDA again today. The gear is showing more wear, approx 1/2 across teeth, internal gear seems to be same as a month ago.
I did notice(first time disassembling the part) that oil was in fact up under the wheel, the black washer being wet and oil at the base of the outside of the bushing.
Looks to me that in fact the top bushing is getting lubed. I did measure a groove on the shaft where the bottom edge of the top bushing rides of .002", body of shaft being .528"
I don't think this is due the top bushing being dry, otherwise why the oil up top?
If you haven't grooved the shaft it must be a seal failure. There is no way the upper bushing is getting oil with the current seal placement. Could it have seeped up during disassembly?

What is the miles differential between the first and second inspection? Can you give us pics of the new wear?
__________________
WHODEY
willydigger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #776
chutta
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: grand rapids, mi
Posts: 1,190
I have to say, I did not see a seal internal at the base of the upper bushing. While I was not specifically looking for it, cleaning out with q-tips and insp with a led, nothing was obvious. Being unemp and bored along with fixating on this, hearing noises on coasting to stops I need to stay on top of it.
Maybe 700-900 miles between inspections tops.
I did take pix this time, just haven't loaded yet.
__________________
05x 4.0 6sp 30/35, aussie front, 3.73's, r/c 4"x lift, adv adptr sye, shifter bracket, tw cv ds, 33 t/c skid, 33x12.5 dunlop mud rovers on steelies, psc sport cage/rockers, warn fr bump/steer and 30 diff skid, sirius,cb, hand throttle 1"bl/mml 265/16's pepboys at's on orig moabs for street. Lowrance H20c for gps
chutta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2011, 06:50 AM   #777
Zeep
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Detroit rock city
Posts: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB View Post
Not directly related to the OPDA, but I was thinking about trying one of these filter magnets. There have been other threads on this product. If the OPDA and cam gear are wearing, perhaps this could serve as added protection in trapping some of the metal particles that are too small for the oil filter to catch.

No need to spend that much on a magnet! For years i've been using magnets that I retreived from magnatron tubes, in disguarded microwaves.
You can get 2 very strong magnets from each one. I simply RTV one on the end of the oil filter, cut off on the next oil change, and reuse.

I would post pic's, but my camera is down.

P.S. Sorry for the hijack.
__________________
JEEP THE AR-15 OF THE AUTOMOTIVE WORLD
Zeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2011, 07:33 AM   #778
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533
 
grogie's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Indy
Posts: 7,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetto View Post
I have good news and bad news. I received an update from my contact at Chrysler this week. According to them the OPDA supplier is going to be shipping at least ~300 units to dealers this month. These units are for vehicles that are sitting on dealer lots and for customers that have placed an order. They said there is a potential that the supplier could ship up to 5,000 units by the end of the month.

The units will carry the same part number as before and my contact says no changes have been made.

According to my contact the increase in price is likely due to a new supplier/contract (I know LDI is still in business but they may have gone elsewhere for the order).

I highly recommend anyone who purchases the unit take Chrysler to small claims court due to the increase in cost. Additionally, if your vehicle has sustained additional damage or you have been left without a vehicle while the unit was back ordered you should seek additional damages. It is a simple process to file a claim and unlikely that they will show.
Isn't that just great of Chrysler and it's supplier to produce the same defective part.

And to think my wife wants a WK2.
__________________

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2011, 10:44 AM   #779
westx
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: odessa, tx
Posts: 13
i need to do the oil change today, what oil should i use? i remember reading something about diesel engine oil, but not sure if thats right.
westx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2011, 11:40 AM   #780
willydigger
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by westx View Post
i need to do the oil change today, what oil should i use? i remember reading something about diesel engine oil, but not sure if thats right.
Everything is covered in the first page. M1 turbo diesel truck 5w40. There is valvoline vr1 too.
__________________
WHODEY
willydigger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.