2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 51 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday Sale

Unread 03-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #751
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

There are six sets of notches in the target wheel. Each set corresponds to the opening of one of the intake valves and is used by the computer to fire the injector for that cylinder.

Unread 03-08-2011, 09:40 PM   #752
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

If that is correct then it can all still be phased off the crank. Set the crank to TDC on #1 and "set" or "reset" the box from there. As lng as the box has memory, its all good.
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2011, 10:47 PM   #753
PFCJoker

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Crawled and subbed
PFCJoker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2011, 11:36 AM   #754
TJXTWO

I ordered the Shell grease from Sky Geek and received it in three days with normal ground shipping. Great service...
03 TJ Sport, 4.5" RE SuperFlex short arm lift, Tereflfex ST swaybar, 33" MTR's, Body Armor bumpers @ sliders, 5 speed manual... 06 TJ Rubicon, 4.5" RE long arm lift, Currie Antirock front and rear , OR Fab bumpers @ sliders, K@N intake, custom exhaust, 1" BL , 1" motor mount lift, 35" MTR's on Pro Comp Alloys, 6 speed manual.
TJXTWO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #755
TotallyScrewed
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytrollaccount View Post
If that is correct then it can all still be phased off the crank. Set the crank to TDC on #1 and "set" or "reset" the box from there. As lng as the box has memory, its all good.
Let's assume that you could program all of this to "be phased off the crank". Your last line states a problem...How is memory maintained when the battery is removed?

I think that the best solution is a redesign of OPDA to last longer rather than change what does what in the engine...just my two cents.
TotallyScrewed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2011, 01:42 PM   #756
JBD

Adam from Crown is looking for an OPDA to use in his research. Anyone have one?
JBD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #757
TotallyScrewed
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepScrap View Post
Curious to see what Willy or anyone else thinks about this bronze gear.
This is not an application that I would think a good fit for bronze.

If you think that the steel gear wears too quickly, bronze is multiples less tough. E.g. Bronze hardness (Brinell hardness scale) is about a 100, mild steel about a 300 and hardened steel about 600.Bronze is often used to make sure that other metals are not damaged whatsoever. In this case the cam gear would not be affected at all but the bronze OPDA gear would need to be replaced every 100-1000 miles. Okay, it may not be that ridiculous but I expect it will be bad.

The bronze gear would have to be used in an environment where the stresses were minimal. We believe that we know this is not the case in the current design of the OPDA: where we have mild steel bushings seizing on the hardened steel shaft.
TotallyScrewed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2011, 07:55 PM   #758
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyScrewed View Post
This is not an application that I would think a good fit for bronze.
I agree, however there may be a potential alternative - Comp Cams makes a composite (carbon fiber, I believe) distributor gear for Chevy engines that seems to be popular. They don't make it for our engine, but perhaps Crown could look into that, assuming it would provide adequate life and wear resistance.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2011, 08:01 PM   #759
JrJmisn
2005 TJ Wrangler 

for what its worth - mine had been ticking for a long time, driving me nuts.
I pulled it, found slight wear on the gear, but definite play in the rotation back and forth and obvious ticking i could feel while running.

I ordered one from the local dealer, it came in two days later. 160 bucks.

After replacing, and correctly positioning, the engine ran perfect and ticking was gone, but check engine was on throwing a cam position code.

Dealer relearned the computer for 20 bucks and its all fixed and running perfect.

(2005 TJ, 103,000 miles at replacement.)
JrJmisn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #760
Zetto

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrJmisn View Post
for what its worth - mine had been ticking for a long time, driving me nuts.
I pulled it, found slight wear on the gear, but definite play in the rotation back and forth and obvious ticking i could feel while running.

I ordered one from the local dealer, it came in two days later. 160 bucks.

After replacing, and correctly positioning, the engine ran perfect and ticking was gone, but check engine was on throwing a cam position code.

Dealer relearned the computer for 20 bucks and its all fixed and running perfect.

(2005 TJ, 103,000 miles at replacement.)
Was this recently? We have not seen a OPDA in stock or sell for $160 in a few months.
Zetto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2011, 06:37 AM   #761
JrJmisn
2005 TJ Wrangler 

pretty recent. I did the replacement in maybe September..it actually might have been October. There really wasnt a huge issue. Walked in, told them what part I needed, they ordered it and it came in within a week.

I had the computer relearned during my inspection in January a few months ago. I rode with the check light on for a while.

No hype, no problem in my experience.
JrJmisn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2011, 09:22 AM   #762
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrJmisn View Post
pretty recent. I did the replacement in maybe September..it actually might have been October. There really wasnt a huge issue. Walked in, told them what part I needed, they ordered it and it came in within a week.

I had the computer relearned during my inspection in January a few months ago. I rode with the check light on for a while.

No hype, no problem in my experience.
I'm pretty sure the back order started in November. I had no problem and found two fairly easy back in late September early October. There was a back order previously however the price didn't jump like it has this time around.
Unread 03-10-2011, 12:07 PM   #763
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Not directly related to the OPDA, but I was thinking about trying one of these filter magnets. There have been other threads on this product. If the OPDA and cam gear are wearing, perhaps this could serve as added protection in trapping some of the metal particles that are too small for the oil filter to catch.

Unread 03-10-2011, 12:51 PM   #764
Fusco
Hey Now

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB View Post
Not directly related to the OPDA, but I was thinking about trying one of these filter magnets. There have been other threads on this product. If the OPDA and cam gear are wearing, perhaps this could serve as added protection in trapping some of the metal particles that are too small for the oil filter to catch.

interesting, i just placed an order for one.
Fusco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #765
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB View Post

I suppose it can't hurt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.