2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 45 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Huge Soft top SaleNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 02-20-2011, 08:38 PM   #661
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkki1230 View Post

How did you get the plug orientation perpendicular to the engine? Mine is at a 45 degree angle.

Unread 02-20-2011, 09:54 PM   #662
tkki1230
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
How did you get the plug orientation perpendicular to the engine? Mine is at a 45 degree angle.

You can have the unit facing pretty much where ever you want, just like a distributor. Right now, it is almost at the maximum limit in the clockwise direction before the plastic cover hits the block.
tkki1230 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2011, 10:24 PM   #663
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

What about drilling and tapping a couple of holes opposite of each other on the timing sprocket on the end of the cam, and mounting the reluctor wheel there? Then modifying the timing cover to accept the camshaft position sensor. then you could stick whatever you wanted in the place of the opda just to turn the oil pump. Someone could sell that setup as a kit with a already modified cover, and a drilled and tapped sprocket, and a reluctor machined to fit. Or even machine the timing sprocket with the reluctor wheels pattern on the face. It seems like at this point, that would be just as easy as the major mods everyone is doing to the opda units.
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2011, 12:26 AM   #664
Zetto

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Installed FogMod 1.0 a few weeks ago and made the switch from Mobil 1 10w30 High Mileage(900 PPM of Phosphorus and 1000 PPM of Zinc) to Mobil 1 5w40 Turbo Diesel Truck(1100 PPM of Phosphorus and 1200 PPM of Zinc) oil today (48,000mi on the rig). Next up is replacing the actual gear and then periodically checking wear.

Is there a source for a good quality gear besides ordering a complete 04 or older unit?
Zetto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2011, 05:46 AM   #665
uf20wop
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
the orientation to the engine doesn't matter

all that matters is that the sensor remains at the same location on the target wheel
uf20wop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2011, 03:32 PM   #666
CRJeepin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetto View Post
Installed FogMod 1.0 a few weeks ago and made the switch from Mobil 1 10w30 High Mileage(900 PPM of Phosphorus and 1000 PPM of Zinc) to Mobil 1 5w40 Turbo Diesel Truck(1100 PPM of Phosphorus and 1200 PPM of Zinc) oil today (48,000mi on the rig). Next up is replacing the actual gear and then periodically checking wear.

Is there a source for a good quality gear besides ordering a complete 04 or older unit?
I think I read a few pages ago that the Dorman replacement OPDA unit has a low quality gear, and the Crown gear is better (but requires shimming). I didn't see an answer to a question that was asked about what to use for a shim though....
CRJeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2011, 07:52 PM   #667
05LongJeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

I bought the dorman unit. The gear had heavy deep pitting throughout the casting. I chose to send it back & order the crown gear from quadratec for modification. I have not had a crown in my hands yet to see the quality of it.
Unread 02-25-2011, 05:22 PM   #668
05LongJeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

The quality of the Crown gear is 50X better than the import gear. Heavy, solid. Only had one hole drilled in it? It doesn't go through the shank.
Unread 02-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #669
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05LongJeep View Post
The quality of the Crown gear is 50X better than the import gear. Heavy, solid. Only had one hole drilled in it? It doesn't go through the shank.
No. You line up the single hole with the hole in the shaft and then drill the remaining hole. It's to insure the hole is straight. I think the crown gear will require you to drill a new hole through the shaft because the hole in the gear is different than the stock gear.
Unread 02-25-2011, 10:25 PM   #670
05LongJeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yea, We have a full machine shop at work. I plan on redrilling in the next few days. Unless I trade the LJ in on a JK 4DR. Its in the works with the Wife.
Unread 02-25-2011, 11:31 PM   #671
amcjeepman
1986 CJ7 

Will be checking my '05 this weekend.
81 CJ7 360 T177
05 Rubicon Unlimited
and others ;)
amcjeepman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2011, 07:17 AM   #672
CRJeepin

I have a Dorman on order, if it's crap I'm gonna do the Crown gear too...having it drilled will mean a trip to the machinist though. Are you guys just measuring the preload / gap between the existing gear and the thrust washer, and having that duplicated when drilling the new hole?
Unread 02-26-2011, 08:34 AM   #673
CRJeepin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05LongJeep View Post
Hey man, would you mind posting up the part number for the Crown gear? I thought I saw it somewhere in this thread, but can't find it now!
Unread 02-26-2011, 09:31 AM   #674
sixshooter05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRJeepin

Hey man, would you mind posting up the part number for the Crown gear? I thought I saw it somewhere in this thread, but can't find it now!
I just ordered mine thru 4WD Hardware, Crown part #83504635. This gear is for older TJ's that is why there is only 1 hole and it's not in the correct position. You will have to modify it to make it work on an 05 & 06.

Sent from my iPod touch using JeepForum
Blue Jeep Club #145
2005 Wrangler X Patriot Blue 4.0L 6 speed
RC 2.5 lift w/ 3/4" front spacers, 2.2 shocks & steering stabilizer. JKS disco's
3.07 gears 31x10.5x15LT Firestone Destination AT
sixshooter05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #675
mcicero

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
Quick Update:

When I removed the OPDA shaft using the Mobilith 220 I reinstalled it with Aeroshell 33MS, but I forgot to clean the shaft back to new. I pulled it again today to sand it with some 2000 grit sand paper. The top bushing was covered in MS33. It had squeezed out the top and globbed around the black plastic washer. While the 220 had very minimal contact the 33MS was everywhere. I was very impressed with the coverage.

I polished the shaft clean. I added some oil to the inside of the OPDA to make sure it didn't dry start. Once I get 5000 miles I'll post up the start shaft pics and the used shaft pics for comparison. To keep the thread clean until I get "after" images I'll put the "before" image here.

How did you get that groove machined in the shaft? Is it completely necessary? Plan on picking one of these up and doing your mods when I get home. Thanks for all the great info.
mcicero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.