2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 38 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!

Unread 02-09-2011, 03:45 PM   #556
Zeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
Im pretty sure they sell a complete replacement OPDA too, it's a "high volume" one apparently.

Edit: they used to at least. I remember seeing it on their site a while back, it's not there anymore.
I believe that " high volume " is their oil pump replacement.

Unread 02-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #557
usjeepers
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
Dodge-wholesale.com reply:

My inquiry:

...I was curious if you know the reason for the price increase on the 2005 distributor. Is there a new supplier or change in the product? The Jeep community is pretty nervous considering that during the last back order there was no increase. Also I assume you will honor the price paid prior to the increase for orders already placed (like mine). Please let me know what you know.

Dodge-wholesale:
That sucks, but I'll have to pay the $250 and hope it isn't the same pos that they have been selling us and installing in out 05 & 06s so far.
Unread 02-09-2011, 07:59 PM   #558
Peterpsc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=TheFog;10943576]I highly recommend greasing it with it in the vehicle with the engine running. I made a post about this a couple of pages back, the grease when pushed in with the OPDA not spinning at a decent rate causes it to just lube the bottom part of the OPDA and spill into cavity between the top and bottom bushing.

I'll try from the bottom as suggested but son-of-a-gun it's a bear to get to...
Peterpsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2011, 06:51 AM   #559
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

It's -24 this morning, I was scared to start the jeep, figured it'd squeal like a pig again......nope.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2011, 03:52 PM   #560
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

wow, it was -2 when i left work last night and i thought that was cold enough. I pulled mine out after a few days of driving it and everything still looked like it did when i first did the fogmod. Ill start taking it out and taking it apart every oil change or every other oil change to see how the valvoline palladium grease does.

Want to STOP?

JEEP Co-op parts, DELRIN DOOR BUSHINGS, TRE inserts
lumpster is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2011, 07:07 PM   #561
tkki1230
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I started on some modifications on my unit today. This is basically to change the lower section of my 06 unit to be like the older 04 unit.

Here's what the 06 unit looks like with the lower bushing removed. Man, those 3 channels are quite big. They travel up and come out right above the top of the bushing. One thing though, they were bone dry, and my unit has 60k miles.

Here is a shot comparing the 04 and 06 lower bushings. The 06 is about a quarter inch longer

The lower bushing was wasted. And the wear was very uneven. On the bottom where it meets the gear, it was out two and a half thousandths and eggshaped. On the top, the wear was a little less-it was out about a thousandth.

On the shaft, on the area where it meets the bottom bushing, the scoring went in about a thousandth and a half. At the top bushing area, the scoring barely went in-about half a thousandth. Here is a shot of the shaft repaired, all welded up and polished. Just like new. This is the same shaft as the one from the bottom picture (the shaft without the groove)

Here's the weird part. The top bushing in the unit was ok. We mic'd the bushing top, middle, and bottom, and it looked good. So I'm going to re-use it.

This weekend, we're going to cut the flat spot and drill the hole in the unit lower. We also need to fab up a new lower bushing which will be the same length as the 04 bushing. The one thing that I will change from the 04 design is that I will groove the lower bushing instead of grooving the shaft. The machinist thinks that this is the better move, and should be more efficient.

I'll post more pics as I finish up.
tkki1230 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2011, 07:59 PM   #562
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Interested to see the results of this, thanks for posting.

One question, how did you remove the bushings? I tried removing them on an old distributor I have but didn't want to tear the whole thing up so I gave up. They must be pressed in there really good
lope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #563
tkki1230
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lope View Post
Interested to see the results of this, thanks for posting.

One question, how did you remove the bushings? I tried removing them on an old distributor I have but didn't want to tear the whole thing up so I gave up. They must be pressed in there really good
If you want to save the bushing, you gotta use special tools or else you'll destroy it. The machinist used this gizmo that screws in and then you extract it like a slide hammer puller. If you don't need to save it, you can tap it out with a punch.

He also explained to me that when it comes time to install, he'll freeze the bushing with liquid nitrogen to shrink it, and then use another type of tool to tap it in.
Unread 02-11-2011, 07:26 AM   #564
kgginslc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkki1230 View Post
This weekend, we're going to cut the flat spot and drill the hole in the unit lower.
Very interested to hear how this turns out.

In thinking about that hole you'll put above the lower bushing, it looks to me that the flat spot that you're going to grind in is absolutely necessary. From the picture of cam and OPDA in the engine that is posted on page 1 of this thread it looks like that part of the OPDA is covered by the block, and without the flat spot there would be no way for oil to get in there. But with the flat spot there's a little cavity created right above the cam gear, and if it flings oil up there it would almost be forced into the hole.

Good luck. For all our sakes.
kgginslc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2011, 01:27 PM   #565
tkki1230
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgginslc View Post
Very interested to hear how this turns out.

In thinking about that hole you'll put above the lower bushing, it looks to me that the flat spot that you're going to grind in is absolutely necessary. From the picture of cam and OPDA in the engine that is posted on page 1 of this thread it looks like that part of the OPDA is covered by the block, and without the flat spot there would be no way for oil to get in there. But with the flat spot there's a little cavity created right above the cam gear, and if it flings oil up there it would almost be forced into the hole.

Good luck. For all our sakes.

That flat spot cannot be put in any random place either. It needs to be cut into the side of the unit facing the cam gear. If it's facing away from the gear, I don't think the oil will travel up the gap.

Another important thing I need to do would be to seal the 3 oil channels that surround the lower bushing. If they aren't sealed, the oil going into the unit might just drain back down those channels instead of going down the shaft/bushing gap.
Unread 02-11-2011, 01:36 PM   #566
05LongJeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

Wouldn't it be fun to have every 05 & 06 Owner drive thier Wranglers into Jeep Dealers all over the Country on the same day at the same time. Maybe we would make the nightly news
Unread 02-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #567
05LongJeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

If I trade off my 05 Unlimited 6spd for an 04.5 Unlimited auto does this opda issue go away? My 2 biggest complaints about my Jeep is the noisy trans & the OPDA's.
Unread 02-11-2011, 02:44 PM   #568
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05LongJeep View Post
Wouldn't it be fun to have every 05 & 06 Owner drive thier Wranglers into Jeep Dealers all over the Country on the same day at the same time. Maybe we would make the nightly news
They would just tell us our OPDAs are fine and charge us $100

Hoping the FogMod 1.0 proves itself over time, also interested to see how other modifications turn out. Although I don't think I'll be doing anything further to my OPDAs, other than greasing and inspecting them every 5 or 10,000 miles.
Unread 02-11-2011, 03:41 PM   #569
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

tkki, great info and great job on the pics. I've updated the comparison and dissection section with some of your images. You plan looks a little too complicated for the average Joe, but I can't wait to hear the results.

I don't understand the thought behind grooving the bushing instead of the shaft. Can you expand on that?
Unread 02-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #570
tkki1230
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I just pulled the OPDA replacement unit out of my jeep to check the wear. This unit has the FOGMOD. Here's a pic of the shaft after 6000 miles.

The upper bushing area on the shaft where the grease is looks really good. Just a little discolored, but no wear or scoring. Nice and smooth! The lower bushing was scored about a thousandth. That seemed kind of excessive for just 6000 miles. I'm going to send this to the machine shop to get fixed.

The upper bushing in the unit was perfect. So far so good with the FOGMOD, as far as my unit goes.

The lower bushing wasn't too bad, but there was a little wear, about half a thousandth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.