2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 36 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #526
TJXTWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhorn View Post
funny how Chrysler can lay out $3M for a 30 second commercial + what it costs to make the commercial and yet we can't get 300 parts that originally cost around $100 made to keep our Jeeps on the road. My "Chrysler Advisor" has stopped promising delivery. Now he says, "I can't give you any date for delivery. Sorry."

Solution? Hey, let's make another commercial!
I thought the same thing when I saw that spot in the SB. It was a 1 minute spot as well, so probably more like 6 Mil. Scumbag company...

03 TJ Sport, 4.5" RE SuperFlex short arm lift, Tereflfex ST swaybar, 33" MTR's, Body Armor bumpers @ sliders, 5 speed manual... 06 TJ Rubicon, 4.5" RE long arm lift, Currie Antirock front and rear , OR Fab bumpers @ sliders, K@N intake, custom exhaust, 1" BL , 1" motor mount lift, 35" MTR's on Pro Comp Alloys, 6 speed manual.
TJXTWO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #527
05LongJeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

Mines modded w/the zirk, & the oil change is in the works. But My GEAR IS TOAST!!!!! What are my options? I need to replace the gear in order to drive it. HELP, Gear Wanted?
Unread 02-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #528
steitsma
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05LongJeep View Post
Mines modded w/the zirk, & the oil change is in the works. But My GEAR IS TOAST!!!!! What are my options? I need to replace the gear in order to drive it. HELP, Gear Wanted?
I found this on the jeep wrangler forum, maybe what you need:

Oil pump drive gear! (Found supplier)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, I'm new to this board but not so new to the Jeep Community. I have been building my Supercharged LJ for about a year now, tuning with Unichip and working out some kinks (failures on Chrystlers part). I recently shredded my oil pump drive gear. So I looked through all the forums and jeep of course told me we cant help you. We just dont make it anymore.....WTF? So....I called a buddy at 4WD and asked him and this may be old news but he did find a company that makes and supplys 4WD with the gear.

Part#83504635 Distributor Drive Gear $22.99
Fits- 97-06TJ/LJ

Much more beefy as well. If you guys have questions just email me. Hope I was able to help.

Casey [/B]
steitsma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2011, 01:38 PM   #529
05LongJeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

So Is it mandatory to do the redrill on the Crown Gear Part#83504635 or will it "sync" rite up with the oil pump drive shaft and the cam gear?
Unread 02-08-2011, 01:45 PM   #530
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steitsma View Post
I found this on the jeep wrangler forum, maybe what you need:

Oil pump drive gear! (Found supplier)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, I'm new to this board but not so new to the Jeep Community. I have been building my Supercharged LJ for about a year now, tuning with Unichip and working out some kinks (failures on Chrystlers part). I recently shredded my oil pump drive gear. So I looked through all the forums and jeep of course told me we cant help you. We just dont make it anymore.....WTF? So....I called a buddy at 4WD and asked him and this may be old news but he did find a company that makes and supplys 4WD with the gear.

Part#83504635 Distributor Drive Gear $22.99
Fits- 97-06TJ/LJ

Much more beefy as well. If you guys have questions just email me. Hope I was able to help.

Casey [/B]
Here's the link

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=11465#

I'm not sure this gear will fit without modification (1987-99 Wrangler). Maybe someone else will chime in who knows for sure
Unread 02-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #531
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB View Post
Here's the link

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=11465#

I'm not sure this gear will fit without modification (1987-99 Wrangler). Maybe someone else will chime in who knows for sure
Well we know the 2004 gear will work. They sell that whole unit for $45.
Unread 02-08-2011, 02:31 PM   #532
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
I couldn't find the 2004 gear on 4wd, but I suck at navigating their ridiculous site
Unread 02-08-2011, 02:36 PM   #533
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Has anyone had any issues after reinstalling the OPDA? What do you do then or if you start throwing codes after running it. I am going to attempt this this weekend but I have been putting it off since if its worn I can't get a new one for a month or so anyway! Been very attentive to it and so far no signs considering it has 57000 miles. Keeping my fingers crossed!
A few people have. For whatever reason they don't align it right or forget to mark it. If you follow the video on the first page you should be fine. You may have an issue with realigning the oil pump with the bottom of the OPDA shaft, but a flat head screw driver can get it realigned.

Now if you do have a problem this is the best tip.
Quote:
If you re-install your OPDA and get a check engine light when you get above 2000 RPM, mark where the OPDA is against the block. Then move it just a hair clockwise, reset the check engine light and go for a drive. If the check engine light comes on again then you need to go back to the mark and then move it just a hair counter clock wise. What this is doing is taking into account for the "wiggle" in the OPDA gear and the camshaft gear that we see when we pull the assembly out.
The original post is here.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...l#post10883935
Unread 02-08-2011, 02:38 PM   #534
05LongJeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

I just double checked with Napa for the Echlin DG 402 Drive Gear & Still none in the U.S.
Willydigger, Do you know the 2004 Part # or is it the same as the Link Crown Part#83504635.
Unread 02-08-2011, 02:39 PM   #535
liljpy
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
Where did you find a 2004 gear? I have yet to see a link to any replacement gear that is drop-in.

Part number 83504635 (the Crown gear everyone links to at 4wd.com) is the gear for 87-99. That gear is not drop-in. Yes, it will fit, but you'll have to accurately drill a hole and shim the gear since the hole is in a different location on the 87-99 gear. Alternatively, you could drill 2 new opposing holes (90 degrees from the 87-99 hole) at the 00-06 height and ditch the shim.

I took a bunch of comparison photo's. Reference post 65 in this thread.
liljpy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #536
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB View Post
I couldn't find the 2004 gear on 4wd, but I suck at navigating their ridiculous site
No not the gear, the whole OPDA. Morris 4x4 or RockAuto maybe.

Here is the issue with replacement gears. The hole may not line up exactly. If you plan to replace the gear only, be prepared to re-drill a hole. Not every OPDA gear is drilled dead center in the shaft. It may be off a little and a new predrilled gear may not match exactly. That's why some new gears only come with one hole drilled. This way when you drill a new hole through the shaft and into the "undrilled" section of the gear it will match.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/product-information.asp?number=DOR-689200#details

Rock Auto has it for $31. Search for 2004 Camshaft Syncronizer. Again it may not (and likely won't) be a direct replacement.
Unread 02-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #537
05LongJeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

Ah Ha. So this gears pin hole is closer to 2005 than 1999? Or this will need a redrill as well? Or will I be the Guinea Pig? http://www.jeep4x4center.com/product...ber=DOR-689200
Unread 02-08-2011, 03:00 PM   #538
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05LongJeep View Post
Ah Ha. So this gears pin hole is closer to 2005 than 1999? Or this will need a redrill as well? Or will I be the Guinea Pig? http://www.jeep4x4center.com/product...ber=DOR-689200
Tkki has both types of OPDA's. He's your best reference. I think from pictures I've seen the hole is closer than the crown gear. The hole may still not align, but at $31 from Rock Auto you have nothing to lose. Try it out and let the rest of us know. You will also have a 2004 OPDA for dissection and comparison.
Unread 02-08-2011, 03:16 PM   #539
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07AMF View Post
Getting ready to do this mod and was wondering if a 90 degree zerk could be used and place it in the factory grease port. Also instead of removing the factory grease port plug, (if a zerk can't go there) could the plug just stay there instead of installing the grub screw?

Thanks
Add the following to the Q&A.

Question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07AMF View Post
Getting ready to do this mod and was wondering if a 90 degree zerk could be used and place it in the factory grease port. Also instead of removing the factory grease port plug, (if a zerk can't go there) could the plug just stay there instead of installing the grub screw?
Thanks
Answer:
The factory grease port is at the rear of the OPDA between the OPDA and the engine. It would be a tight fit and difficult to reach. That said it is doable with a few caveats. There will be no way to completely purge the reservoir since you will be using the purge port as your fill/grease port. You will purge through the hole in the bushing. The hole through the bushing will also be in line with your fill port so the opposite side of the reservoir will not get cleaned out.

With regards to leaving the factory plug in place, the pressure from the zerk will pop it out. You also need to drill the bushing hole through that port so the plug will need to be removed.
Unread 02-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #540
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The best way I've found to grease the installed zerk on a OPDA is from below the Jeep. I bought a extra long hose for my grease gun and just slide under the Jeep with a nice bright light and grease it. The handy thing about greasing from below is you can quickly see if grease starts to come out the connection to zerk instead of pumping away blindly.
In memory of Samantha Sue 1998 to Dec-16-10 at 2:15PM. She may have had 4 legs and a tail but she was the best friend I ever had and helped me through some really tough times. I hope to see her again one day.
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.