2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 330 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

LOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 06-09-2014, 07:20 PM   #4936
churchofjt
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quadratec is now showing the new Crown unit as well. http://www.quadratec.com/products/51004_0060.htm

churchofjt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2014, 08:01 PM   #4937
06philaTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I just installed the Crown unit today, replacing the Dorman unit I put in my TJ 4,000 miles ago (61k currently). The Dorman unit is probably fine but after about 1,000 miles, I noticed it never ran as smooth as it did with the OEM OPDA plus was a bit harder to start sometimes. I did not swap out the CPS sensor with the OEM/Mopar one like I did with the Dorman so hopefully Crown did a good job on that as well.

So far I noticed it seems to run much quieter/smoother and starts up easily but only time will tell since I put less than 5 miles on it today. From what I can tell, you can't go wrong with either the Dorman or the Crown so far but the Crown does seem to be a bit better build quality visually. I also checked my cam gear, it looks like new which is a good sign and *maybe* using VR1 10w30 oil has helped.

Here are some pics below of the crown unit, cheap cell phone quality though:

Don't understand the "red" mark on the top, must have been from machining the target wheel:

Build Quality on the Crown OPDA gear looks excellent:

Dorman with 4k on it at the top, new Crown Unit at the bottom (the gasket is on the crown):

Dorman up close, I noticed "shiny spots" on the gear with only 4k on it:
06philaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2014, 11:31 PM   #4938
Bigbob

I guess I'll get a Crown. Looks like a great product. What is funny as hell is after almost 10 years of the absolute failure the Jeep OPDA has been finally someone came out with a workable mousetrap. The funny part is what Crown built is what a distributor drive has looked like for over 80 years. Not a new mousetrap, an old mousetrap.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2014, 09:59 AM   #4939
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
I guess I'll get a Crown. Looks like a great product. What is funny as hell is after almost 10 years of the absolute failure the Jeep OPDA has been finally someone came out with a workable mousetrap. The funny part is what Crown built is what a distributor drive has looked like for over 80 years. Not a new mousetrap, an old mousetrap.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
JEK3 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2014, 10:06 AM   #4940
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEK3 View Post
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
The factory OPDA was/is a terrible design, it was broke from the first launch. It needed fixing. Too bad Jeep did not do the fix.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Unread 06-14-2014, 10:54 AM   #4941
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The factory OPDA was/is a terrible design, it was broke from the first launch. It needed fixing. Too bad Jeep did not do the fix.
Actually, I was saying the original (old-school) design wasn't broken, but Jeep decided to "fix" it anyways. Now we need to fix their "fix".
JEK3 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2014, 11:15 AM   #4942
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEK3 View Post
Actually, I was saying the original (old-school) design wasn't broken, but Jeep decided to "fix" it anyways. Now we need to fix their "fix".

Understood.

Crown builds good stuff. I like the spiral cut shaft and the seal on top. I am guessing this may put a end to the 330 pages and almost 5,000 posts on this subject.

Just remember this installation method:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-kG...MY2pfRUk0/edit

Makes no difference if you are working on a Jeep 4.0 or a 1957 De Soto Hemi, when you remove or install a distributor drive you follow that procedure.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Unread 06-14-2014, 11:16 AM   #4943
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have not checked into this thread in a while being I thought I had it cured with the stripper Guy's mod installed by the stripper guy himself. Has their been issues with that also . Mine has been in for a couple years I think but for me that is only a few thousand miles . Should I be thinking about an investment in a Crown OPDA for back up? I still have a new MOPAR OPDA in the box thinking Stripper guy would prefer that one to mod but took the original instead.
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2014, 11:27 AM   #4944
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary2 View Post
I have not checked into this thread in a while being I thought I had it cured with the stripper Guy's mod installed by the stripper guy himself. Has their been issues with that also . Mine has been in for a couple years I think but for me that is only a few thousand miles . Should I be thinking about an investment in a Crown OPDA for back up? I still have a new MOPAR OPDA in the box thinking Stripper guy would prefer that one to mod but took the original instead.
The SG mod if installed correctly will last longer than the Jeep. The problem the SG Mod had was twofold. First was it offered difficult freeplay on the shaft/sleeve area. Second, and most common problem, was alignment issues that could cause fas wearing of the lower bushing. He no longer builds them.

For the low cost the Crown should be a good investment if you intend to keep the Jeep.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Unread 06-14-2014, 11:40 AM   #4945
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

yup I will order a Crown like you said its cheap . Much less than what I have invested in the Stripper guys and my kind of new used for a few days MOPAR OPDA. At this point what's another hundred vs a cam install. I had hoped being he did my mod it may of been more precise , oh well. What would a Jeep be if I stopped spending money on it, I know I would probably be bored .
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2014, 11:42 AM   #4946
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary2 View Post
yup I will order a Crown like you said its cheap . Much less than what I have invested in the Stripper guys and my kind of new used for a few days MOPAR OPDA. At this point what's another hundred vs a cam install. I had hoped being he did my mod it may of been more precise , oh well. What would a Jeep be if I stopped spending money on it, I know I would probably be bored .
You think like I do. I only have 25K on my '06 (toy rig) but I am thinking about a cam change as well.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Unread 06-14-2014, 03:19 PM   #4947
Slugger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Fed Ex dropped my Crown version off today, ordered from Quadratec. FYI, it comes with a gasket. I don't recall the Dorman does.

Hopefully this will be the fix we were looking for.
Slugger is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2014, 07:56 PM   #4948
06philaTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
Hopefully this will be the fix we were looking for.
I'm hoping too as this is my daily-driver on a budget haha. Since installing the Crown unit yesterday, I put 200 miles on the TJ today doing moderately hard on/off highway driving for a day trip with the gf. It performed flawlessly and smooth for the entire trip so it seems good so far but I'll see how it is 5,000 miles from now.
Unread 06-16-2014, 06:13 PM   #4949
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The SG mod if installed correctly will last longer than the Jeep. The problem the SG Mod had was twofold. First was it offered difficult freeplay on the shaft/sleeve area. Second, and most common problem, was alignment issues that could cause fast wearing of the lower bushing. He no longer builds them.

For the low cost the Crown should be a good investment if you intend to keep the Jeep.
The bushing/alignment issue was where I had problems with my SG Mod. I hope the Crown did a better job on this so we don't have alignment issues with the Crown too.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2014, 10:04 AM   #4950
06philaTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Update: The Crown OPDA unit is fine but the CPS sensor may be defective. I installed mine on 6/13 and by 6/25 I was having issues with CEL's and a rough idle/hesistation. The CEL would come on immediately even after reseting the computer several times and the computer kept throwing random different codes.

I swapped back to the Mopar CPS sensor this morning and it solved my issues immediately, which were multiple codes (p0175, p0151, p0153, etc) that were showing up. How it's related to the 02 sensors I don't know but my check engine light is gone and all codes are cleared. It runs and drives 100% now as well and no other issues with the Crown OPDA unit itself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.