2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 328 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-01-2014, 08:32 AM   #4906
1 Long CJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I bought my 2006 Rubicon Unlimited with 80k and found out later that it had an engine replacement done at 60K by PO. I don't have any info on what was done or why. Do you think this part would have gotten replaced with the engine swap? I think it was a long block from Jasper. Hate to pull it just to check it.

1979 CJ5, 1982 CJ8, 2004 WJ, 2006 LJ Rubicon
1 Long CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2014, 08:36 AM   #4907
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

First, is it a LDI part? If so, it is the factory design, whether or not it was replaced when the engine was.

Only way to know the condition is to pull it.
Unread 06-01-2014, 09:03 AM   #4908
buddastrat
2006 TJ Wrangler 

On those last pics from 2006 sport, is that considered that bad? I'm no mechanic but for 85K miles, I'd expect a little wear. That doesn't look that bad to me. Hell I'll be super happy to get 85K on the original part.
buddastrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2014, 09:13 AM   #4909
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

There should be a smooth shiny spot on the gear in the center. That one is too long and it is rough.

My '92's distributor gear didn't have that much wear at 200K plus.

I replaced my '06's at 115K when the cam sensor went. It had some wear, but not as bad as the pic above.
Unread 06-01-2014, 09:22 AM   #4910
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddastrat View Post
On those last pics from 2006 sport, is that considered that bad? I'm no mechanic but for 85K miles, I'd expect a little wear. That doesn't look that bad to me. Hell I'll be super happy to get 85K on the original part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp View Post
There should be a smooth shiny spot on the gear in the center. That one is too long and it is rough.

My '92's distributor gear didn't have that much wear at 200K plus.

I replaced my '06's at 115K when the cam sensor went. It had some wear, but not as bad as the pic above.
Yep, Way too much wear for only 85k. As soon as I threw the P0016 code I ordered that part because I knew that the gear was probably worn down to the point where if I didnt replace soon it was gonna do more harm than good.

I dunno how much better the Dorman part is, but anything will be better than what I have right now. And i might send my old one to the guy in here (can't remember name) to do the mod for it as a backup.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2014, 12:14 PM   #4911
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Try spinning the shaft. I bet it’s tight. Excessive drag will eat up the gear like that.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2014, 12:42 PM   #4912
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs
Try spinning the shaft. I bet it’s tight. Excessive drag will eat up the gear like that.
Yeah it's pretty tight.

That's what she did.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
-Zach
Unread 06-01-2014, 01:33 PM   #4913
1 Long CJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Anybody remember this from page 1?

Quote:
The hope is to limit this thread to only a few pages of actual information regarding how to handle this problem

1979 CJ5, 1982 CJ8, 2004 WJ, 2006 LJ Rubicon
1 Long CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2014, 01:27 PM   #4914
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

So I got the Dorman unit today. Lined up the holes before I installed but I forgot about the TDC deal and installed it. So I kept it in there and aligned engine to TDC. Can I take the OPDA back out and align the holes again? Because the bottom hole is on the left and the top hole is direct opposite on the right.

Edit. Never mind. I got it haha

Quote:
-Zach
Unread 06-04-2014, 02:28 PM   #4915
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Okay so everything is installed. No CEL on warm up but when I go to gas it, like revving it, it hesitates and acts like it's going to or it has cut off. Assuming that's my timing.

Quote:
-Zach
Unread 06-04-2014, 08:46 PM   #4916
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

6 hour bump Could use a little insight cause I've tried everything at this point.

edit, i can try one more think. I'll report back.

Quote:
-Zach
Unread 06-04-2014, 10:07 PM   #4917
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Given the problems reported here & elsewhere with some of the Dorman sensors I would put the old sensor in (check the sensor-to-wheel clearance against the Dorman one) & see if that fixes it.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2014, 10:31 PM   #4918
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs
Given the problems reported here & elsewhere with some of the Dorman sensors I would put the old sensor in (check the sensor-to-wheel clearance against the Dorman one) & see if that fixes it.

No I'm an idiot and double checked too much and what I thought was TDC was 180 degrees off of TDC. don't know why I didn't think of before

I'm embarrassed as all hell but **** it

Quote:
-Zach
Unread 06-05-2014, 09:14 AM   #4919
svandell
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
Okay so everything is installed. No CEL on warm up but when I go to gas it, like revving it, it hesitates and acts like it's going to or it has cut off. Assuming that's my timing.
You are just enough out of cam / crank sync that the computer puts it into limp mode. Limp mode will do just that (cuts at 3k rpm). The exact thing happened to me when I installed my Dorman. I took it to my buddy who has a Snapon scan tool that can read cam to crank difference. We adjusted it until the difference was zero. Fixed my problem. The Jeep FSM talks about this procedure. The dealer uses the DRB factory tool to do this for them.
svandell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2014, 09:16 AM   #4920
svandell
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
No I'm an idiot and double checked too much and what I thought was TDC was 180 degrees off of TDC. don't know why I didn't think of before

I'm embarrassed as all hell but **** it

I used the original sensor in my Dorman. The Dorman one was intermittent.
svandell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.