2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 327 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 05-28-2014, 08:41 AM   #4891
buddastrat
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordeauxman View Post
I just had a Dorman installed and I have my old OEM version. Never had the screaming monkeys but I did this as preventative maintenance. My 2006 TJ Rubicon only has around 36K miles. Is it recommended that I could have my OEM unit modified as a replacement in case the I have problems with the Dorman unit? Thank you in advance.

What happened to Big Bob? Just curious.
How did the gears look on the original at that mileage?

buddastrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2014, 08:43 AM   #4892
Fusco
Hey Now

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddastrat View Post
Monster thread! I read from time to time but it's been awhile.. I have been lucky with my late '06 Rucicon so far. How long has the Dorman unit been out? Is it proven to be a good fix? I see them on ebay for about $100 now. Wondering if it'd be worth it for the peace of mind. I have read of some guys getting over 100K miles before they had issues.

Has there been any pattern to premature wear being narrowed down to specific period, other than all '05 and '06?
My '06 OPDA started the laughing monkey two years ago, around 70k miles. Had stealership replace the OPDA and CAM under warranty. She's been quiet since, 85k miles now, but I'm on borrowed time until I install upgraded OPDA.
Fusco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2014, 08:45 AM   #4893
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad4406 View Post
Well, what I thought was a plug appears to be cast housing. I believe the Taiwan units do not have a grease cavity. I'm thinking of drilling below the upper bushing on the housing, in other words about 3/8" below the hole that I drilled earlier, and drilling all the way through the housing into the shaft area to put the grease fitting there so that it will fill the entire cavity and hopefully some grease can work its way into the upper bushing. Any opinions?
Why do you want to put grease in it? The grease will lube the bushing but also act as a seal preventing engine oil to get to the bronze bushing. I'd rather have the engine oil any day.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2014, 08:48 AM   #4894
Tonellin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The Dorman unit has been out a while now...and I can't recall hearing about any new problems with the unit. Most guys seem to replace the OEM unit once and not have any further issues.

If I was you I would order the Dorman unit ASAP. My OEM unit wasn't making any noise but I pulled it to check and there was a good amount of wear on the shaft and gear
Unread 05-28-2014, 08:57 AM   #4895
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have read of some guys getting over 100K miles before they had issues.
I know guy going on 149k miles on OEM OPDA with no issues.
Unread 05-28-2014, 09:01 AM   #4896
Bigbob

I need to pull my Dorman and check it. I have about 1000 miles on it now. The dorman does get lube to the top bushing in the form of oil vapor. A bronze bushing does not take too much oil to stay alive. You figure the OPDA shaft spins between 1000 and 2000 and spins about 1500 at cruising speed. And has about zero load to boot. As far as the bottom bushing wallowing out, that is totally a alignment issue. The bottom bushing takes the brunt of the force from the oil pump load. The stock units once worn are shot for alignment and getting the SG modded units in proper alignment is impossible as I have found out. You also get more side load on the shaft gear if the gears are worn. The only true method to fix this for good would be to change the cam shaft along with the OPDA and even then you may have a bad engine block casting that does not allow proper gear clearance. I think constant monitoring of this OPDA is in order. I'd have no issue pulling the thing every 5-10K miles and checking it. It's just what needs to happen if you own a newer 4.0 Jeep.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2014, 09:06 AM   #4897
buddastrat
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
I know guy going on 149k miles on OEM OPDA with no issues.
Wow!! Would you know what year it is? I wonder when it was made at the factory.
Unread 05-28-2014, 09:18 AM   #4898
buddastrat
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Here's a few not so favorable Dorman reviews. http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/do...-212910-3.html

One mechanic said a lot of this premature wear is due to it not being torqued down correctly. Forgive me if this has all been discussed. I haven't followed this religiously.
Unread 05-28-2014, 10:12 AM   #4899
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Wow!! Would you know what year it is? I wonder when it was made at the factory.
2006. No idea on build date.
Unread 05-28-2014, 01:00 PM   #4900
chevy2169
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar
2006. No idea on build date.
I haven't had an issue with mine either. Knock on wood. I pulled it a year ago and everything looked fine.
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipsh**s.
chevy2169 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2014, 02:10 PM   #4901
KX6D
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Monster thread! I read from time to time but it's been awhile.. I have been lucky with my late '06 Rucicon so far. How long has the Dorman unit been out? Is it proven to be a good fix? I see them on ebay for about $100 now. Wondering if it'd be worth it for the peace of mind. I have read of some guys getting over 100K miles before they had issues.

Has there been any pattern to premature wear being narrowed down to specific period, other than all '05 and '06?
This problem affects ALL 05/06 models. The major failure is the upper bearing due to lack of lubrication.

A COMPLETELY SEPARATE issue is the cam wear. This can be caused by a bad block or OPDA casting and/or oil issues.

My OPDA went out after 100K and I had no cam wear issues. I ran Mobil 1 Extended Performance which addresses the lack of ZDDP issue which is causing failures to the cam lobes and possibly the cam gear.

Expect your upper bearing in the OPDA to fail at some point. Its going to happen! The cam wear may or may not. Just understand that these are two separate issues...on the same shaft.
Unread 05-31-2014, 05:24 AM   #4902
TrailJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have 10k on my Dorman. The gasket that came with it always leaked, and i just pulled it to replace the gasket with a proper one.

The gear looked just perfect and it spins freely with no play.
TrailJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2014, 06:38 PM   #4903
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

So I got the p0016 code the other day and I decided to pull my OPDA to look at it. What do you all think? I have the REV E and I have about 85k miles. After I got the code a couple days ago I ordered the Dorman part just in case from rock auto.
image-2257877069.jpg

image-3833829465.jpg

image-2025271256.jpg

image-4156464503.jpg

image-3383033527.jpg

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2014, 06:54 PM   #4904
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Time to swap it out. That is not a good wear pattern.
Unread 05-31-2014, 06:58 PM   #4905
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp
Time to swap it out. That is not a good wear pattern.
That's what I figured. Just wanted to double with you guys. Good thing I ordered that part.

I just hope I caught it in time to save my cam

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.