2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 324 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-09-2014, 05:27 PM   #4846
OleBlue73
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjeep1
I've danced this dance for a while. Somewhere towards the front of this thread, you'll find some of my posts. I did a Fogmod on a new unit, and kept it greased with aeroshell 33MS. Used Mobil 1. 0W-40 ( due to the high Zinc ) with 1/2 bottle of ZDDP along with a Donaldson P550299 filter. This one is in the photo after 34,000 miles of use
I did a stripperguy kit, but never installed it.
I just installed a Dorman, with the original Jeep sensor. The new sensor supplied with the Dorman was all scratched on the end, right out of the box.
Got tired of pulling the ODPA every 4k miles, especially now I have no garage or carport. When it was 4F last week, I heard a slight squawk. Knew it was time for grease or the Dorman.
The photos show very little wear, much less than the original at 21K miles. Look closely, there is faint wear on the gear, but I do not think very bad for 34k on this unit
I'm trying to find specific instructions to change the oe sensor over to the Dorman unit. I've seen it but can't locate it now. Where to look?

OleBlue73 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2014, 05:56 PM   #4847
06philaTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleBlue73 View Post
I'm trying to find specific instructions to change the oe sensor over to the Dorman unit. I've seen it but can't locate it now. Where to look?
This is from page 316 from another user. I followed what it said below and if you read on page 322, I posted a reply about when I changed my OPDA recently with some tips as well. Here's the info:

All said and done, the removal/ install is easy.

Removal:
-Put it in neutral and block tires
-remove opda dust cover/cap
-turn main shaft clockwise (3/4" socket) until holes in opda line up (that is TDC)
-remove cps from side (dont unplug it)
-remove opda retainer clip screw
-lift opda out, inspect for wear / replacement etc.

Install:
-inspect new unit for any issues - compare to old unit
-line up oil pump key hole (what the bottom of the opda fits into) with a screw driver (because the oil pump can move and not cause issue) to line up opda where you want it similar/close to the original unit's position (doesn't matter)
-re install new opda (with the plastic alignment pin still in the alignment holes) with the new gasket on in place
-put the opda retainer clip and screw back in place tighten
-put the cps back in place and tighten
-remove the alignment pin from the bottom of the opda
-put the opda dust cover/ cap back on

As long as the new opda holes were pinned in to alignment (timed for tdc) upon installment and the unit fits or seats down in the oil pump key hole properly- you're golden.
Go ahead and start it.

The hardest thing is the opda retainer and screw.
It's hard to see and reach.

Ps- my opda came with gasket.

And the oil pump key will fit probably within a couple tries of moving the oil pump keyhole around with a screw driver.
06philaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2014, 06:12 PM   #4848
OleBlue73
1973 CJ5 

I hope to do this when the weather warms this week.
Unread 02-10-2014, 01:30 AM   #4849
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade Blaine

2005 LJ Wrangler 

For all those wondering what happens when you replace the OPDA & have the new gear running against the old, worn cam gear here is some input.

A little history for those who have not been following this since the beginning. I have an early ’05 that was within the TSB that replaced a “defective” OPDA gear. I started getting the “laughing monkey” in April 2011 at just under 25,000 miles. I had found this thread a few months before that so knew what needed to be done. Besides a dry & scored shaft my previously replaced gear now had excessive & very uneven wear (second photo below). At that time there were over 350 OPDAs on national back order so simply replacing it was not an option. I cleaned up the shaft (first photo) to remove the transferred metal & lightly honed the top bushing to smooth it out. I then installed an oil cup to lube the top bushing & put it back in. I sourced a new Crown gear from 4 Wheel Parts ($23) for the early distributors & made the simple modifications necessary to fit it to the OPDA shaft & installed it 1600 miles later (originally the gear was on back order so I ran the old one until it arrived). The conventional wisdom seemed to be that the gear would not last long since the cam gear had to be in bad shape & that it would be better to keep the old, worn gear than to put a new one on without replacing the cam.

I’ve had the OPDA out each oil change since & now have 8,700 miles on the “rebuilt” OPDA & 7,100 miles on the gear. Here is the Crown gear today (third photo). The shaft & top bushing are unchanged. Not the miles jeffjeep has but similar results as far as gear wear goes. I think it is holding up very well & have no plans to replace it.
p2040344.jpg

p2040372.jpg

p2090160.jpg

Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2014, 11:54 AM   #4850
ws6air

Hey guys, just wanted to say I got the new Doorman unit and used the Doorman gasket which was not that thick, and put the Distro in and it ran fine, no laughing monkey, but , now I have this weird Fast clicking noise on start ups, and only last for about 4-5 seconds. Then after that, it never does it again all day until it has sat overnight. Have any of you had this problem with this Distro (Doorman) Before I replaced it , it never made this noise. I also changed the Gasket to a thicker gasket, as that small one from Doorman started leaking. I've been working on cars for a awhile too, never heard this noise before. I'll try to make a video today and post it....... but have any of you heard this before and know what it is? The Doorman seams to be fine, just has that weird noise at start up and after that, runs great all day, no engine lights, etc..... Thanks guys

marc
ws6air is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2014, 12:52 PM   #4851
Ljcrawler05
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Got a 5% off code from rockauto if anybody is wanting to save a little money

Ljcrawler05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 08:40 PM   #4852
OleBlue73
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleBlue73
I hope to do this when the weather warms this week.
I did mine this evening. Had some wear on the OPDA gear but not excessive. I swapped the original sensor over so hopefully I won't have issues. Hardest part was the reinstall of the hold down plate.
Unread 02-17-2014, 09:13 PM   #4853
Testykalz
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hardest part was the reinstall of the hold down plate.

Couldn't agree more! I will also say that gasket includes with the Dorman sucks!
Testykalz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 09:46 PM   #4854
BorderTJ

Hey guys, does the sensor/connector need to point to the 4 o'clock position? If I wanted to turn it just a bit to clear some stuff, how would I do it? I saw a YouTube video that said it doesn't matter which way the sensor/connector points as long as the target wheel stays in the same spot when it's turned.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Also, I saw that the target wheel moves as you pull the OPDA up and out. How do you install it with that holding pin if the wheel wants to spin?

Excuse my ignorance, I haven't taken mine out to play with it. Yet.
BorderTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 09:58 PM   #4855
OleBlue73
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testykalz

Couldn't agree more! I will also say that gasket includes with the Dorman sucks!
That gasket does. I left my original one in place.

After replacement, I notice if I let the jeep set for 30 min or so, and I start it, it takes a longer crank before starting. After that initial long start, the next starts are normal (turning off then back on, off, on, etc). Maybe I need to loosen the hold down and bump the OPDA a little to fine tune. It will be interesting to see how it starts completely cold tomorrow morning.
Unread 02-18-2014, 07:24 AM   #4856
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderTJ View Post
Hey guys, does the sensor/connector need to point to the 4 o'clock position? If I wanted to turn it just a bit to clear some stuff, how would I do it? I saw a YouTube video that said it doesn't matter which way the sensor/connector points as long as the target wheel stays in the same spot when it's turned.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Also, I saw that the target wheel moves as you pull the OPDA up and out. How do you install it with that holding pin if the wheel wants to spin?

Excuse my ignorance, I haven't taken mine out to play with it. Yet.
Like i said in the video, you can clock the OPDA in any position you want just as long as the crank dampener TDC mark and the OPDA holes are lined up.

And yes the gear will turn as you pull it out or put it in. I never use the holding pin while installing it.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2014, 07:28 AM   #4857
BorderTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob
Like i said in the video, you can clock the OPDA in any position you want just as long as the crank dampener TDC mark and the OPDA holes are lined up. And yes the gear will turn as you pull it out or put it in. I never use the holding pin while installing it.
Got it! Thanks for clarifying and glad to see you're a member on here.
Unread 02-18-2014, 09:07 AM   #4858
BorderTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob
Like i said in the video, you can clock the OPDA in any position you want just as long as the crank dampener TDC mark and the OPDA holes are lined up. And yes the gear will turn as you pull it out or put it in. I never use the holding pin while installing it.
Thinking about this and had one more question:

I'll probably have to use a screwdriver to turn the oil pump to match the new clocked position right?
Unread 02-18-2014, 09:58 AM   #4859
Bigbob

Quote:
I did mine this evening. Hardest part was the reinstall of the hold down plate.
Access is hard for that bolt. If the air cleaner housing is removed it gets a lot easier. Another simple tip is to rotate the OPDA housing clockwise as far as you can which really opens up the area the bolt goes in. Then just snug the bolt down and line up the target wheel/OPDA housing holes before the final tightening. And if you are a FFA like me (fumble finger ape) you can tie a shoe lace to the 5/16" wrench so when you drop it 20 times you don't need to crawl under the Jeep and fine it of fish it out of the engine or trans skid!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderTJ View Post
Thinking about this and had one more question:

I'll probably have to use a screwdriver to turn the oil pump to match the new clocked position right?
Correct. A totally non-scientific guesstimational operation.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2014, 09:44 PM   #4860
BorderTJ

Well I think I did it! Haha how soon after would I get a CEL if I had done it wrong?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.