2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 321 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffSteering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 01-21-2014, 01:54 PM   #4801
boilerup1998

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fi 03
if it is bad, can it be rebuilt?
My advice would be buy the Dorman and be done....unless you're doing this purely for academic reasons??

boilerup1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 03:53 PM   #4802
Semper Fi 03
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerup1998 View Post
My advice would be buy the Dorman and be done....unless you're doing this purely for academic reasons??
I have already bought it and have it done. I am thinking of doing the old one just in case this other one quits.
Semper Fi 03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 06:23 PM   #4803
mgclark6

I think its been about six months or so since i installed my dorman unit.

Still problem free.

Has anyone had any problems with their dorman?
mgclark6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2014, 01:06 PM   #4804
Altonymous
Ol' Beard

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I just bought an 06 LJ (build date: 01/06) I think I heard this problem yesterday. I started researching it immediately. Ordered the Dorman unit and should see it in a couple days. I'm afraid to do anything with the jeep until it gets here. I've read most of the guide on the first page of the thread and the last few but not the 100 pages in between. I am curious if I need to do anything other than drop the Dorman in? I've installed a new distributor on my 97 TJ before, and it looks like the same procedure.. TDC/align the holes, keep the pin in, etc…

What I don't know is how to replace the cam shaft gear if it's also worn?

Does the Dorman need to have the stripperguy mod applied or any greasing? If you can point me to the page where the Dorman starts getting talked about I'll do the reading.. It's just a PITA to come into this thread 100 pages late.
Altonymous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2014, 01:33 PM   #4805
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

It installs just like a distributor.

Nothing needs to be done to the Dorman.

Only way to change the cam gear is to put in a new cam.
Unread 01-22-2014, 01:55 PM   #4806
06philaTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp View Post
It installs just like a distributor.
Nothing needs to be done to the Dorman.
Only way to change the cam gear is to put in a new cam.
I'm assuming mine is starting to go too (57k original miles, original OPDA never pulled) as I heard a barely audible "metal on metal" squeaking sound through the grill when I was clearing snow off the grill area for about 2 minutes as the engine was idling/warming up. I've been following the thread in the past so I already have a Dorman unit.

However, I read a set of directions a few pages back and it says I have to unbolt the CPS from the original OPDA housing but can't unplug it? Is this just because people are using their original Mopar CPS vs. the Dorman one or if it gets unplugged will there be an issue? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Here's that part from the first half of the directions I found a few pages back that I wasn't sure on:
Removal:
-Put it in neutral and block tires
-remove opda dust cover/cap
-turn main shaft clockwise (3/4" socket) until holes in opda line up (that is TDC)
-remove cps from side (dont unplug it)
-remove opda retainer clip screw
-lift opda out, inspect for wear / replacement etc.
06philaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2014, 02:09 PM   #4807
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, that is if you want to use the original Mopar cam sensor with your new Dorman.

Otherwise, unplug the harness on the old one and then plug the Dorman in.

I would then save the sensor out of your old one in case the Dorman sensor fails.
Unread 01-22-2014, 02:15 PM   #4808
06philaTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp View Post
Yes, that is if you want to use the original Mopar cam sensor with your new Dorman.

Otherwise, unplug the harness on the old one and then plug the Dorman in.

I would then save the sensor out of your old one in case the Dorman sensor fails.
Ah cool I thought that was the case too based on the videos I saw, thanks again for your help.
Unread 01-22-2014, 06:46 PM   #4809
CoRubicon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Parts for sale

I sold my Jeep before I had a chance to upgrade my junk.

New, unused, Stripper Guy mod for sale.

How about $60 shipped to the lower 48?

I also have a used OPDA, removed at 56,000 miles, I assume it the original one from the factory.

The gear is in pretty good shape and it spins free. I pulled it and lubed it up when I got the Jeep then replaced it with a new fog mod unit later on. How about $30 shipped to the lower 48?
CoRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2014, 10:20 AM   #4810
Semper Fi 03
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I just went to the auto parts store. When I told my friend I wanted to buy some AeroShell 33MS grease, he looked at me like I was nuts. He said that stuff is very expensive at not really needed for what I was going to do with it. He then asked why I couldn't use some axle/wheel grease for it? He says that the only reason he could see to use the AeroShell grease is that it has a high temp break down and, the axle grease should be good enough because it is good up to 400 degrees. I bought the axle grease, because of what he said, and he didn't have anything better. Is it going to be ok for our FOG MODD?
Unread 01-23-2014, 10:39 AM   #4811
Altonymous
Ol' Beard

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fi 03
I just went to the auto parts store. When I told my friend I wanted to buy some AeroShell 33MS grease, he looked at me like I was nuts. He said that stuff is very expensive at not really needed for what I was going to do with it. He then asked why I couldn't use some axle/wheel grease for it? He says that the only reason he could see to use the AeroShell grease is that it has a high temp break down and, the axle grease should be good enough because it is good up to 400 degrees. I bought the axle grease, because of what he said, and he didn't have anything better. Is it going to be ok for our FOG MODD?
Why do the fog mod? Why not just get a dorman. Only $85 bux
Altonymous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2014, 10:40 AM   #4812
06tjrubi

Opda

PM sent earlier on the OPDA
06tjrubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2014, 11:41 AM   #4813
CoRubicon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06tjrubi
PM sent earlier on the OPDA
It's yours. Anybody want the Stripper Guy kit? Offers?
CoRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2014, 11:49 AM   #4814
Semper Fi 03
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altonymous View Post
Why do the fog mod? Why not just get a dorman. Only $85 bux
I have it and I am going to do that MODD unless someone can tell me why I shouldn't do it. Or, how I would be able to tell if I should, or shouldn't need it. I have bought a grease fitting and grease already, just have to go get the grub screw yet.
Unread 01-23-2014, 01:58 PM   #4815
06philaTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fi 03 View Post
I have it and I am going to do that MODD unless someone can tell me why I shouldn't do it. Or, how I would be able to tell if I should, or shouldn't need it. I have bought a grease fitting and grease already, just have to go get the grub screw yet.
I'd go with the Oil Cup mod vs. the original grease fitting mod if your looking to experiment with the Mopar OPDA. I looked into the original grease fitting mod years ago and you basically have to guess how much grease you need to inject and check the OPDA fairly often. If you overfill it, it could cause binding of the shaft as well and grease has to be added every now and then. I also considered that some types of grease in low temps could possibly cause binding of the shaft with a cold engine since they could be less viscous than regular engine oil. The oil cup mod at least lets you monitor and add to the oil level and you can use regular old 10w30 engine oil, which is dirt cheap generally.

Those were basically the reasons why I declined that and several other modifcations listed here that looked good but seemed like only "band-aid" fixes to the problem in my opinion. Lucky for me, I didn't have a problem with my original, un-pulled/un-modified OPDA until this week and have a Dorman on standby to replace it. Good luck though if you try either modification as it would be interesting to see the results vs. the Dorman OPDA as I'm not 100% sold on a permanent solution to this problem yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.