2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 320 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 01-16-2014, 04:33 PM   #4786
meatlord
Animals taste good

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fi 03 View Post
OK, I have got the Jeep running. Let me tell you what has happen and, ask questions that maybe you guys can answer.

1. The Jeep is making the Laughing Monkey sounds.

2. Driving down the road at about 50 to 55 mph and the Jeep shuts down after a little spitting and sputtering.

3. I order and replace, the OPDA exactly the way it is said to do in the thread and on the videos.

4. Jeep will not start after the OPDA is replaced. The only way I could get it to run, at this point, is to spray starting fluid in the throttle body. It started and ran very very fast and then, bang, Backfired out of the throttle body. At this point, we all thought it was out of time but, I replaced the OPDA the way I was told to. Even after I wrenched the engine to aline the holes in the OPDA before removal.

5. I take the Jeep to a mechanic and, after he gets it to run, he calls me to tell me the Jeep is running. I asked what he did to it. He says it was out of time.

How did my Jeep get out of time if all I was doing was driving down the road at 50 or 55 mph? I pulled the OPDA out and replaced it with a new one in the exact same position. What happen???
Is it possible you are 180* out with your OPDA? I thought I had mine dead on, went to local shop to check it and they did a "resync" for $15. Mine was 180 out.

Unread 01-16-2014, 04:36 PM   #4787
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

It will run without the cam position sensor. The cam sensor is used to fire the injectors sequentially. If the signal is lost, it goes into limp mode, batch fires the injectors, and limits RPM to 2500. Happened to me over Thanksgiving. I think I am the only one whose cam position sensor failed before the OPDA shaft and gear. My gear looked OK with 115K on it.
Unread 01-16-2014, 08:08 PM   #4788
Semper Fi 03
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I don't know if I had it at TDC but, I rotated the engine, with a wrench, until the holes in the OPDA were aligned and the removed it and replaced it with the new one. Here are some pics of the gears on the one I removed. Taken with my cell phone so I am sorry about the quality of them. The last 2 pics, the OPDA has a mark on it. Is this proof that it may have moved and I just replaced a new one right where it has moved to?

Semper Fi 03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2014, 08:26 PM   #4789
Semper Fi 03
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I am thinking about taking it apart and doing the grease fitting and use it again. Do you think it is worth it?
Unread 01-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #4790
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Depends on the condition of the shaft and bushing. And you have some wear on the gear.

I can't tell from the pics, but did the clamp slip and push up metal on yours? Mine does not have any marks on it like that.
Unread 01-16-2014, 09:12 PM   #4791
Semper Fi 03
2006 LJ Wrangler 

yes, I think the clamp let it slide and that is what that little "clump" of metal is from. I think it let it slide and knocked it out of time. I can try to take better pics of it tomorrow if you guys want me to.
Unread 01-17-2014, 04:58 PM   #4792
Semper Fi 03
2006 LJ Wrangler 

here are some better pics of the gears, they don't look bad, and how far this thing shifted on me to knock it out of time.

Unread 01-18-2014, 01:15 AM   #4793
gebirgziege
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fi 03
I just had this problem happen to me but, I have not read where anyone has said that there Jeep quit running one them.

I had the Laughing Monkey sound for a couple of days, maybe a week. That lasted for about 10 minutes until the Jeep was nice and warm.

I drove it to my friend to ask him what was wrong. He was not sure but, we knew where the sound was coming from. On the drive home from his place, less then 10 miles, the Jeep shut down. I have tried to start the Jeep several times and it won't start. It sounds like it wants to but won't.

After reading all of the posts about the noise I heard, I ordered a new OPDA. I got lucky and found one on E-bay for $100, and I just got it today.

I have read and understand the removal of the old one. I even understand the marking of the old one to be removed. What I am not sure of, is how does the new one go in? If the "holes" are lined up, with the factory plastic plug, do I put the new one in. Or do I have to try and make them look the same before I put the new one in?

I have just bought this 2006 Wrangler Rubicon LJ with 29,000 miles on it in October. It only had 26,000 miles on it when I bought it. Now it is sitting in my driveway not running. This is my 10th Jeep and it is making me very upset! I only but around 3000 miles on it before this happen. Can anyone please help me!?!?
Mine hade 34 k miles with the issue and squeak.
Unread 01-19-2014, 09:45 AM   #4794
boilerup1998

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Just replaced the factory OPDA with the Dorman. Thanks to all the good instructions on the forum, it took about an hour. Would have been 30 minutes if the stupid clip retainer bolt wasn't such a PITA to get to for removal of the old unit!
boilerup1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 10:23 AM   #4795
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerup1998 View Post
Just replaced the factory OPDA with the Dorman. Thanks to all the good instructions on the forum, it took about an hour. Would have been 30 minutes if the stupid clip retainer bolt wasn't such a PITA to get to for removal of the old unit!
On that bolt there are 2 hints that help a lot in the removal/access to it. First, if you have a stock factory airbox remove it. It has like 3 screws and a couple hose clamps. Makes a lot more working room.
Second, once you get the 2 holes lined up and everything looks kosher to remove the unit take the pin or screwdriver out and loosen the bolt. Now you can turn the housing clockwise and gain a lot more access to the bolt to remove it. Ditto with install. Set the unit in so the holes are lined up and then remove the pin and turn it clockwise. Just do the finally tightening once you get it lined up again.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 07:47 PM   #4796
Semper Fi 03
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I talked with my friend today about placing a zerk fitting on the OPDA so I can grease it, he is a mechanist. He asked me if I wanted to have the groove cut in the shaft also and, what that groove was supposed to do. I told him about the seals and the fact that oil/grease is not getting where it needs to. I also sent him the web-site so he can read up on it.

Does the groove need to be put in the shaft and, doesn't that allow the grease to flow on the shaft?

Is my old one, the one in the pics, ok to be disassembled, cleaned, repaired and replaced?
Unread 01-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #4797
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You won't know till you take it apart. But the shaft is probably scored and the bushing damaged if it was tight enough to spin the housing.

Knock the pin out of the gear and it will come apart.
Unread 01-19-2014, 08:07 PM   #4798
Semper Fi 03
2006 LJ Wrangler 

if it is bad, can it be rebuilt?
Unread 01-19-2014, 10:41 PM   #4799
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fi 03 View Post
if it is bad, can it be rebuilt?

A good machinist will first of all laugh at the steel bushings and then after measuring everything come up with the top bushing and shaft are too wore to be used. But amaze him at the poor design of this thing.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 08:43 AM   #4800
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

X2.

The distributor on my YJ had over 200K on it when I replaced it because it was cheaper to buy the whole distributor than just the cam sensor in it. It was fine mechanically.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.