OK, I have got the Jeep running. Let me tell you what has happen and, ask questions that maybe you guys can answer.
1. The Jeep is making the Laughing Monkey sounds.
2. Driving down the road at about 50 to 55 mph and the Jeep shuts down after a little spitting and sputtering.
3. I order and replace, the OPDA exactly the way it is said to do in the thread and on the videos.
4. Jeep will not start after the OPDA is replaced. The only way I could get it to run, at this point, is to spray starting fluid in the throttle body. It started and ran very very fast and then, bang, Backfired out of the throttle body. At this point, we all thought it was out of time but, I replaced the OPDA the way I was told to. Even after I wrenched the engine to aline the holes in the OPDA before removal.
5. I take the Jeep to a mechanic and, after he gets it to run, he calls me to tell me the Jeep is running. I asked what he did to it. He says it was out of time.
How did my Jeep get out of time if all I was doing was driving down the road at 50 or 55 mph? I pulled the OPDA out and replaced it with a new one in the exact same position. What happen???
How bad did the gear look?
There is a slight possibility the target wheel slipped. On one of the units I rebuilt I discovered the target wheel could actually be moved by had. It was hard to move, but I could rotate it. The target wheel is just pressed on.
Glad to hear you got it figured out. BTW, if you would of set the crank to TDC you could of timed it.
And as far as the OPDA causing misfires that just sounds weird. The firing order ETC is controlled by the computer. The CPS/OPDA just sends a signal to the computer at start up to say everything is lined up. Once the engine is running I think you can disconnect the CPS and it will stay running. But I guess if the CPS is off it throws the computer off. You should have thrown a code.
2006 Solar Yellow Rubicon Unlimited
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!