2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 315 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-07-2014, 08:01 PM   #4711
boilerup1998

2005 LJ Wrangler 

My 2005 Rubi LJ has been making a "squealing" noise, but not the typical "laughing monkeys". Supposedly, it falls outside the effected build dates according to my stealership. I've tried to link a video. Hopefully, the link works. Should I be worried?

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid1202.photobucket.c om%2Falbums%2Fbb368%2Fboilerup1998%2FOPDAsound.mp4 ">

boilerup1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2014, 08:01 PM   #4712
boilerup1998

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Unread 01-07-2014, 08:55 PM   #4713
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerup1998 View Post
My 2005 Rubi LJ has been making a "squealing" noise, but not the typical "laughing monkeys". Supposedly, it falls outside the effected build dates according to my stealership. I've tried to link a video. Hopefully, the link works. Should I be worried?
>
Link did not work. All 2005-2006 4.0 engines have this problem. The "effected" build dates were for a TSB related to a out of round pinion gear or something. Your factory OPDA is still junk regardless of build day.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2014, 11:00 PM   #4714
gebirgziege
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I got my new opda.

I saw a link for the Chrysler one for like 120 or something.
But went with the dorman for 175 shipped.

Looked good.

Here's the pics.
The one with the blue punch in it to line it up is the doorman.
Upon removing the stock one, I tried turning it and it was almost impossible. I took it apart and cleaned the cry out of the space between the shaft and bushing. Put it back together with some oil lubed an it spun nice and free but seemed a tad rough. Maybe I will polish it up and try a mod on it and get a new gear from crown for an extra in case the doorman takes a poo.
The camshaft was in surprisingly good shape considering the wear on the opda shaft gears.
But it's only got 33k on it now, and after i heard it, I wasn't cruising around with the monkey in the engine compartment either.

All said and done, the install is easy.

Neutral, remove opda cap, turn main shaft clockwise until holes line up (TDC), remove cps, remove retainer clip screw (a pain to put in), line up oil pump key hole with a screw driver, and re install new opda with new gasket in same order do not turn the engine it was in TDC position to begin with. As long as the new opda holes are pinned and it fits in the oil pump key hole- you're golden.

I used my old cps sensor. No need to replace the old working one with the new spare.

Anyways, I'm a little baffled with why they didn't design this thing to be grease-able. :/
wtf Chrysler/Mopar?

Whatever. I'm kinda happy $175 later.
We will see how long the doorman lasts (Made in Taiwan)... To be continued. I'll post pics of the wear later as we go.
image-3716439700.jpg

image-1649834727.jpg

Unread 01-08-2014, 08:54 AM   #4715
magnum629c

Can u do the fogmod to the new dorman one?
magnum629c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 09:11 AM   #4716
pwmac
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum629c View Post
Yes, but it should not need any mods except to use the oem sender.
Most oem OPDAs need the various mods because they are made wrong.
The thread is long and you should read it.
pwmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 09:51 AM   #4717
magnum629c

I just ordered one for 79$ why so cheap? Rockauto dorman opda
Unread 01-08-2014, 10:48 AM   #4718
Bigbob

Quote:
No need. If fact the grease will work as a seal and keep oil from working it's way up. Best not to do it.

Quote:
I just ordered one for 79$ why so cheap? Rockauto dorman opda
Good news. I bet they are over loaded with them and the market is limited. Only 2 years of Jeeps used these.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Unread 01-08-2014, 02:05 PM   #4719
mgclark6

My dorman cost $285.00 about eight months ago. At that price, i might have to buy a spare.
mgclark6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 02:37 PM   #4720
magnum629c

78$ just bought one today
Unread 01-08-2014, 02:54 PM   #4721
Bigbob

Just ordered one from Rock Auto. Like $84.00 shipped. I will of course disassemble this once I get it and see if it does or does not have a seal between the two bushings like the original does.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Unread 01-08-2014, 05:08 PM   #4722
boilerup1998

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Seems to work on my phone app and laptop?
Unread 01-08-2014, 05:46 PM   #4723
auburnhunter
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Can't beat that price. I did the SG mod, but at that price I just had to buy a spare.
Unread 01-08-2014, 05:56 PM   #4724
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerup1998 View Post
Seems to work on my phone app and laptop?
I did finally get it. Hard to tell what it is via a sound byte. Your best bet is to get the Dorman at that cheap price and install it.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Unread 01-08-2014, 07:50 PM   #4725
boilerup1998

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Ordered. $78.99 + $8.64 shipping. Not bad considering the alternative to letting the factory junk ruin the engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.