2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 313 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #4681
aballas
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Laughing monkeys today at 98000 miles, on the original OPDA. Pulled it, appears to be minimal gear wear, and the cam gear looks fine. Definitely a spot of resistance in turning the shaft though. Will probably pull it apart to inspect.

Replaced with Dorman Unit that I ordered previously and seems to be running fine. Will keep the original sensor just in case the dorman one goes out.

aballas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 11:44 AM   #4682
aje3721
1984 CJ7 

Doesn't anyone make a brass gear for the OPDA? At least that would ease the cam gear issues. Picking up an 06 Rubi LJ Wednesday and not looking forward to it believe or not. I've lived through Ford 6.0 issues and my hair is getting gray over the LJ purchase. It has 77K and the PO said everything works great. He doesn't feel the issue is as prominent as some do. After reading this whole thread I'm torn on the Dorman (which my Advance Auto matched Rock's pricing) or the SG. How can MSD and Accel stand by and not jump all over this issue?
aje3721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #4683
ws6air

Hey guys, I found a Monkey in my Jeep over the weekend and after reading 300 + pages of info , including Oil debates, etc, I found the issue in my OPDA. (Ya think?, HAH) All jokes aside, I have not been able to look at mine (pull it out) to check to see how cam looks. It has only 60,000 miles on it and it's an 05 model Unlimited. I do my own work, and was wondering by the sounds of it, it sounds as if the Dorman is the way to go if Cam gear is still good. I personally can't stand that I'm already having to replace this , after Years of people going, get the straight 6, man, these last two years went out with a bang. I hope my cam gear is still good. Just wondering if I should go ahead and get the Dorman or get the SG mod as I know it's permanent and working so far. Again, won't know anything about cam gear till it warms up here. It's in the 20-30s here in NC (Ice storm) . Monkey doesn't like the cold, he's trying to get out. Just wanted you guys opinion on the Dorman and if you guys think this is the way to go if cam is good. Thanks for reading post, and are the Dorman's lasting (bushing wise, are they getting oil to them?) Need to decide which way to go, or , even do the fogman mod. Any thoughts appreciated, thanks
ws6air is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #4684
06philaTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aje3721 View Post
Doesn't anyone make a brass gear for the OPDA? At least that would ease the cam gear issues. Picking up an 06 Rubi LJ Wednesday and not looking forward to it believe or not. I've lived through Ford 6.0 issues and my hair is getting gray over the LJ purchase. It has 77K and the PO said everything works great. He doesn't feel the issue is as prominent as some do. After reading this whole thread I'm torn on the Dorman (which my Advance Auto matched Rock's pricing) or the SG. How can MSD and Accel stand by and not jump all over this issue?
I have a SG kit and a new unmodified OEM Mopar OPDA if your interested. The SG kit has not been used or installed so you would have to either mod the OPDA yourself or get another member on here like Bigbob to do it for you.
06philaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #4685
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aje3721 View Post
Doesn't anyone make a brass gear for the OPDA? At least that would ease the cam gear issues.
I don't think you would want brass - too soft. It would grind up and become liquid sandpaper in the oil. Bronze used to be the traditional distributor gear material a zillion years ago.

I feel your pain though - I bought my Jeep with 9,300 and it already had a damaged cam. Even though it had low miles, it was out of warranty by time, so I had to put a cam and new OPDA gear in myself. 8,000 miles later, so far so good.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #4686
aje3721
1984 CJ7 

Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06philaTJ View Post
I have a SG kit and a new unmodified OEM Mopar OPDA if your interested. The SG kit has not been used or installed so you would have to either mod the OPDA yourself or get another member on here like Bigbob to do it for you.
I might as well start collecting the stuff before I even have the LJ. Funny, I'm already getting pissed off at this thing and I don't even have it yet! I'll see if I can figure out how to send a PM. I just have to figure how I'm going to tell the wife why I'm buying parts to fix a vehicle I have yet to pick up and that I know it's going to fly apart. When she says I'm nuts, I'm starting to believe her...
Unread 12-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #4687
aje3721
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJP77 View Post
I don't think you would want brass - too soft. It would grind up and become liquid sandpaper in the oil. Bronze used to be the traditional distributor gear....
Sorry, I was thinking bronze. My thought process is somewhat cloudy due to the pending feeling of doom when this investment flies apart. I can deal with the OPDA and external wrenching but pulling a cam is another story. Would love to be able to grind the drive gear off the shaft and keep the cam gear.
Unread 12-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #4688
TrailJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Dorman is the way to go. I believe SG stopped doing the kits after the Dorman came out. 7k on my Dorman so far, I'm at 106k now.
TrailJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #4689
aje3721
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06philaTJ View Post
I have a SG kit and a new unmodified OEM Mopar OPDA.
PM Sent
Unread 12-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #4690
jstone326

2005 TJ Wrangler 

So I read about this a while back, pulled the OPDA and it didn't look too bad so I let it be... Then last week, the Jeep started bucking and I got code P0344 for the cps. Got it towed home (for free with insurance roadside assistance)I let it sit a few days driving, and just got around to taking a look at it. I started up the Jeep to move it and it idled fine and the CEL was gone. I pulled the OPDA again. There's definitely uneven wear, but it doesn't look terrible. I spent a couple hours reading through this thread... I pm'd stripperguy about getting his kit. But in the meantime, do you guys think I can continue driving? It's not necessary as I'm borrowing my buddy's second car for now... Also, I've been reading about the Dorman part. It appears people have been having problems with it, but I can't quite tell if all those problems are due to the Dorman sensor, and thus were solved by just using the original sensor. Can someone give some clarification on this?

Thanks

Unread 12-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #4691
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Your code is for an intermittent cam sensor signal, your sensor is probably going bad. I just had the same thing happen, see my post above. Your gear doesn't look too bad, but it's starting to wear.

The bucking is the rev limiter kicking in at around 2500 RPM in limp home mode.

My gear looked pretty good as well.

I put a Dorman in, so far, so good.
Unread 12-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #4692
jstone326

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp View Post
Your code is for an intermittent cam sensor signal, your sensor is probably going bad. I just had the same thing happen, see my post above. Your gear doesn't look too bad, but it's starting to wear.

The bucking is the rev limiter kicking in at around 2500 RPM in limp home mode.

My gear looked pretty good as well.

I put a Dorman in, so far, so good.
Thank for the reply

So since it's starting to wear, I should probably replace it, right? Dorman or SGmod? And since I've been seeing reports of the Dorman sensor going bad pretty quickly, what is the solution to that if mine is bad, meaning I can't use the factory sensor with the Dorman OPDA...

Thanks
Unread 12-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #4693
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, it will only get worse as the OPDA starts to get harder to turn.

You can order just the sensor from a dealer if you want MOPAR, or, the auto parts stores have them as well.
Unread 12-15-2013, 02:49 PM   #4694
TrailJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

So far my Dorman sensor has made it 6k miles. We'll see.
TrailJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #4695
govmule84
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks!

Just got my first Jeep, and this thread saved me some heartache. I did lots of research before buying, and plenty after.

I pulled my OPDA today. My Jeep has 26k on it. My gear was not trashed, but it was wearing. I poked a new Dorman in there, fiddled with timing for a while, and I think I'm about all set. Thank you guys!
govmule84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.