2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 282 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 01-17-2013, 06:03 AM   #4216
flyingjeff
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I tried this. Apparently my engine spins pretty freely. Two or three blips of the key moved the OPDA 1/4 turn. One more blip went about 1/2 turn.

After three attempts at your method, I went back to the wrench.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo View Post
Or you could take the cover off the OPDA and follow these simple steps

1) Check if the if the holes line up. If not:
2) Get in Jeep and give the key a quick flick. The OPDA turns at 1/2 engine speed. It won't spin past the hole with small quick flicks of the key.
3) Get out of Jeep and repeat step 1.

Once the holes are lined up, pull the key from the ignition so no one turns it over. Put them in your toolbox or somewhere so you don't either. Then drop a small screwdriver or nail or something in the holes and proceed as indicated in the video. This is what I did. I think my holes were off by about a 1/4 turn when I started and it took about 3 quick flicks of the key to line them up.

flyingjeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2013, 08:13 AM   #4217
efm-7
2013 JK Wrangler 

Sounds like OPDA roulette :P
efm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #4218
flyingjeff
2006 TJ Wrangler 

HEY! If you're going to do Canadian humor there has to be beer involved!
flyingjeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2013, 09:08 AM   #4219
George2005
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 2005 .. Is there a Serial number build date one can go by to see if mine falls into this category? My build date is 04-2005. I been using Valvoline conventional 10W30 till about 30,000 then I switched to Castrol semi synthetic oil in 10W30..Now with 41,000 miles on her I Was thinking of going to Mobil 1 full synthetic 10W30.. Will this help with the wear on my OPDA ? George
Unread 01-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #4220
mccgsm
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'll throw my 2 cents in here--I have an 06 Rubicon, engine build date 03/06, with the same bleeping symptoms--sudden, sporadic, severe power loss and bucking. Happens under heavy acceleration, 1st or 2nd gear. Dealer replaced sensor, reported that the gears looked fine, and all was well for two months. Happened again, this time I pulled the OPDA and sure enough, the gears were irregularly and deeply worn on the faces, and one brightly burnished, slightly worn spot on the back of one tooth. Mucho play in the system, which certainly would comport with the symptoms I'm seeing. So I'm taking another run at the dealer and see how my otherwise very helpful service advisor can get done. But I'm surprised NTSB is not ordering a recall on this, given the very scary, wild bronco loss of power experience I've had several times now.
dscn1307.jpg   dscn1310.jpg  
mccgsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #4221
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubithebeast View Post
could you just use the original hole that the plug is in on the opda housing and put an oil bath in that way. or is something else in the way? i know i would still have to tap it but looks about the same height as the other hole that has been drilled in the modded opda.
Yes you can. But if your seal has already failed the oil bath won't work very good. IMHO the SG Mod is by far and above the easiest and best way to go.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #4222
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccgsm View Post
I'll throw my 2 cents in here--I have an 06 Rubicon, engine build date 03/06, with the same bleeping symptoms--sudden, sporadic, severe power loss and bucking. Happens under heavy acceleration, 1st or 2nd gear.
I don't think the OPDA will give you those symptoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccgsm View Post
But I'm surprised NTSB is not ordering a recall on this, given the very scary, wild bronco loss of power experience I've had several times now.
Recalls are only meant for issues that can injure or kill people.

I'd never trust my Jeep to a dealership unless it was a warranty deal at no cost. And even then they won't fix the OPDA issue. In the case of the OPDA they will put the same deal back in and it is the same as the units they started to put in '05 units back almost 9 years ago. But if you still are under warranty and the cam gear is shot I'd have them replace the cam and/or the OPDA. Once you get it home remove that new OPDA and do the SG mod to it. No more issues.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Unread 01-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #4223
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by George2005 View Post
I have a 2005 .. Is there a Serial number build date one can go by to see if mine falls into this category? My build date is 04-2005. I been using Valvoline conventional 10W30 till about 30,000 then I switched to Castrol semi synthetic oil in 10W30..Now with 41,000 miles on her I Was thinking of going to Mobil 1 full synthetic 10W30.. Will this help with the wear on my OPDA ? George
Any and all '05-'06 models.

Mobil 1 High Mileage full synthetic has all the zinc you need for the flat tappet 4.0. As far as the OPDA any oil is fine. The wear on the gear and bushings is not caused by what oil you use. The whole zinc thing has to do with the flat tappets (valve lifters) these engines use.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Unread 01-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #4224
SSAdrenaline
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post

Mobil 1 High Mileage full synthetic has all the zinc you need for the flat tappet 4.0. As far as the OPDA any oil is fine. The wear on the gear and bushings is not caused by what oil you use. The whole zinc thing has to do with the flat tappets (valve lifters) these engines use.
What oil would you recommend that has enough zinc in the shell brand?
Do you by chance have a list of oils that would be good to use?
SSAdrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #4225
redbrokejeep
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Well I took out my fog mod unit today & it has roughly 14,000 miles on it & replaced it with a new SG modded unit. My fog modded unit spins more freely than the new SG unit. The lower oil lite bushing being dry may have something to do with this? The factory unit had 30,800 miles on it when I got a new unit to fog mog. It now has 44,000 miles on it total. The gear wear on the fog mod unit versus the factory unit is less but it is about half the mileage.
redbrokejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #4226
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSAdrenaline

I don't know about Shell brands, but Mobil 1, Valvoline VR1 Racing, some Rotellas, plus a few more have good content. For a full list/discussion see the"oil section" at the beginning of this thread. The VR1 Racing is my personal choice after much research, FWIW. Few stock it, but most will special order if you ask and will have it in a day or two.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #4227
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSAdrenaline View Post
You look for a 10/30 wt oil with ACEA A1/B3 API is SL The ACEA ratings vary by oil wts. The 4.0 uses a 10/30 oil. Zinc is 1100 PPM.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...duct_Guide.pdf
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Unread 01-23-2013, 08:14 AM   #4228
George2005
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post

Thanks, Was not going to go with the Mobil 1 High Mileage full synthetic oil yet only 41,000 miles on her, Just going with the mobile 1 10-30 Full synthetic oil for now.. So far I have no issues but would pulling the unit out and having a look at the gear tell all with it? Do I need to look other places on it? Is there a reliable replacement unit? Oh this Jeep don't see winter cold as it garaged in the winter don't know if this will help with the wear factor or not.. Thanks again! George
Unread 01-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #4229
Bigbob

Quote:
Thanks, Was not going to go with the Mobil 1 High Mileage full synthetic oil yet only 41,000 miles on her, Just going with the mobile 1 10-30 Full synthetic oil for now.. So far I have no issues but would pulling the unit out and having a look at the gear tell all with it? Do I need to look other places on it? Is there a reliable replacement unit? Oh this Jeep don't see winter cold as it garaged in the winter don't know if this will help with the wear factor or not.. Thanks again! George
The object of the High Mileage oil is it is made for old engines like your 4.0. Don't matter if you have 346 miles on it, it is a dinosaur. No engine has been built for many many years with flat tappets with the exception of some lawn mower engines and the 4.0. Oil companies changed the formulation of oils in order to get better emissions control and longer cat life in vehicles. Look at the ACEA rating and make sure you have 1,000-1,200 PPM minimum of zinc in it. Mobil 1 10-30 has 900 PPM and Mobil 1 HM 10-30 has 1,100 PPM zinc.

The gear wear is not oil related. The gear wears as the shaft binds/drags in the upper unlubricated steel bushing. Even though you may think the shaft "spins freely" by hand, it is a different world with the engine running and that shaft spinning at 1,000-1,500 RPM. You need to check the upper bushing area. It will be worn.

There is a unit made by Dorman that is a good replacement, but being it is fairly new no long term reports have been out yet. But IMHO it will be a good fix. You can modify your unit with the many mods shown on page 1 of this monster. The best mod hands down is the SG mod which replaces the top bushing with a bearing and the bottom with a proper bronze bushing.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Unread 01-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #4230
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Skip the synthetics and go with Valvoline VR-1 10W-30. It's formulated with plenty of ZDDP, just like from when these engines would have been more "mainstream". I can't say enough good things about this oil.

My engine is quieter since the switch and I've been closely monitoring the wear on my new cam and OPDA gear - it is breaking in nicely and has little to no wear after about 9,000 miles.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.