2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 281 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 01-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #4201
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Check the tensioner and idler pulleys, my tensioner pulley sounded just like the OPDA monkey.

Unread 01-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #4202
ericshere03
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the tip! I originally found that my tensioner was worn and making a little rattle noise, but wasn't the monkeys... I need to check all the pulleys cold... Only problem is, IT'S COLD! Expecting lows below freezing temps IN SAN DIEGO!!! I know some one from Minnesota is going to tell be about their front door and frozen lakes :-P ...
Unread 01-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #4203
ninjaturtle0
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ok guys I ran into a guy at Autozone he is a mechanic at the Jeep dealership here. I asked him about the opda issue on the 05s he said its not a recall but he described to me why it was happening in a lot of technical words I can't repeat but he said not all the TJs built for the 05 06 are bad and said I didn't have to pull it out to check just touch the opda housing while the engine is running and if its vibrating that means your opda is wearing.
ninjaturtle0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2013, 06:13 AM   #4204
Dean7276
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshere03 View Post
Thanks for the tip! I originally found that my tensioner was worn and making a little rattle noise, but wasn't the monkeys... I need to check all the pulleys cold... Only problem is, IT'S COLD! Expecting lows below freezing temps IN SAN DIEGO!!! I know some one from Minnesota is going to tell be about their front door and frozen lakes :-P ...
I would double check that it is not coming from your trans. I had what I thought at first was a loose squealing belt, then thought it was the beginning of "laughing monkey", then possibly a squealing throwout bearing. Turned out to be worn pads on shifter assembly inside the trans (NSG370).
Dean7276 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2013, 08:09 AM   #4205
LarryJ00
2005 TJ Wrangler 

flyingjeff and ericshere03...thanks for the replies. I ordered a replacement and a kit from stripperguy
LarryJ00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #4206
ericshere03
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean7276 View Post
I would double check that it is not coming from your trans. I had what I thought at first was a loose squealing belt, then thought it was the beginning of "laughing monkey", then possibly a squealing throwout bearing. Turned out to be worn pads on shifter assembly inside the trans (NSG370).
OK, It is NOT the belt drive or anything its attached to (no belt, still noise). the sound is indeed coming from the tranny, but more the bell housing area ... The jeep warmed up and the noise went away before I can further test... I have done tests here thinking it was this initially but i will retest...
Unread 01-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #4207
ericshere03
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshere03 View Post
OK, It is NOT the belt drive or anything its attached to (no belt, still noise). the sound is indeed coming from the tranny, but more the bell housing area ... The jeep warmed up and the noise went away before I can further test... I have done tests here thinking it was this initially but i will retest...
I dont think it can be the shifter pads because the input shaft (there fore the whole tranny is not moving.
Unread 01-13-2013, 12:19 AM   #4208
flash1034
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Is there a link somewhere which outlines how to put in a NEW OPDA.

Thanks,

Flash
Unread 01-13-2013, 05:40 AM   #4209
flyingjeff
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Changing out the OPDA

How to "clock". Very important.

This was this initial "how to". I include it so you can see some of the details of removal/installation.

Removing the air cleaner housing makes life a bit easier.

1.Take photos. Install position is not critical. Alignment between OPDA and engine timing IS critical.
2.Remove cap. T20 torx
3.Clock engine/OPDA
4.Insert pin from new unit OR insert something similar like a small screwdriver to keep the alignment.
5.Unplug the wiring connector. Slide red tab. Then press the standard release mechanism.
6.Unbolt retainer with 1/2" wrench. Set bolt and retainer clip aside.
7.Lift OPDA. It WILL rotate counterclockwise as you lift it. Don't fight it. That's the design. It turns less than a 1/4 turn. Note OPDA housing alignment in relation to engine.
8.Find the gasket.

Going to be away for a while? Cover the hole in the engine with a rag.

To reinstall.

1.Make sure pin is in place in the housing. Put the gasket over the hole or find a way to adhere it to the OPDA.
2.Reinstall is just the reverse of the removal. Expect the rotation--clockwise this time. If the unit does not slide/rotate EASILY into position (remember that first photo?) the oil pump slot needs some adjusting. Use a large flat blade screw driver to turn it. Small increments. It may take a couple of tries to get back into alignment. When you do get the oil pump slot in the correct position, the OPDA will almost drop into place. Frequently, no fiddling will be required. But it happens (see video #2.)
3.Double check that the OPDA is fully seated then reinstall that damn retainer. It's a pain but it will go. Tighten the bolt but don't go gorilla on it.
4.Pull the pin.
5.Reinstall the cap.
6.Reconnect the wiring. The plug is tight. Make sure it's connected. Slide the red tab.

Reinstall air cleaner housing, if you removed it.
flyingjeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #4210
efm-7
2013 JK Wrangler 

I'd like to offer a tip if it helps anyone who isn't very big or strong:

I'm a borderline midget (2" too tall to be one "legally") and found it very difficult to turn the engine with a wrench to line up the hole/tdc. What I ended up doing was the following:

1) got the jeep onto jackstands.
2) put it in 4HI
3) put it in 6th
4) wedged a block of wood under the front driver side wheel.
5) grabbed the front passenger-side wheel and turned clockwise until I could see that the hole matched up.

quick, easy peasy!
efm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #4211
SSAdrenaline
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by efm-7 View Post

I'm a borderline midget (2" too tall to be one "legally") and found it very difficult to turn the engine with a wrench to line up the hole/tdc. What I ended up doing was the following:

2) put it in 4HI
3) put it in 6th
5) grabbed the front passenger-side wheel and turned clockwise until I could see that the hole matched up.

quick, easy peasy!
Great idea thanks for sharing brother.
Also here is a How to guide for the installation of the SG mod.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/op...ation-1461851/
Cheers.
SSAdrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #4212
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by efm-7 View Post

2) put it in 4HI
3) put it in 6th

quick, easy peasy!
Or you could take the cover off the OPDA and follow these simple steps

1) Check if the if the holes line up. If not:
2) Get in Jeep and give the key a quick flick. The OPDA turns at 1/2 engine speed. It won't spin past the hole with small quick flicks of the key.
3) Get out of Jeep and repeat step 1.

Once the holes are lined up, pull the key from the ignition so no one turns it over. Put them in your toolbox or somewhere so you don't either. Then drop a small screwdriver or nail or something in the holes and proceed as indicated in the video. This is what I did. I think my holes were off by about a 1/4 turn when I started and it took about 3 quick flicks of the key to line them up.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2013, 10:49 PM   #4213
ericshere03
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Crap, I think my issue was the throw out bearing ... Damnit, that job sucks.
Unread 01-15-2013, 11:43 PM   #4214
ericshere03
2006 LJ Wrangler 

To you guys with a keen ear, can you try to identify the noise ? Similar to the OPDA ...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ne.../#post14797781

Unread 01-17-2013, 01:15 AM   #4215
rubithebeast
2006 TJ Wrangler 

could you just use the original hole that the plug is in on the opda housing and put an oil bath in that way. or is something else in the way? i know i would still have to tap it but looks about the same height as the other hole that has been drilled in the modded opda.
rubithebeast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.