2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 276 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!Gear Installs at CCOR SpecialWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 12-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #4126
jhickman1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

First off, I'd pull your OPDA and just see where you're at condition wise. If the OPDA gear is in good shape, that would indicate your cam gear is also likely in good shape and is most likely not the source of the occasional misfire you mentioned. If that's the case, I'd put in the Stripper guy mod ($69) and be done with it. If the OPDA gear is bad, you'll need to get as good a look as you can at the cam gear through the OPDA mounting hole in the block. It's possible the cam gear could still be in decent condition but if it's not, there's really no quick and painless fix. A severely worn cam gear will definitely have a negative effect on the life span of a new OPDA gear. I'm assuming you've looked through this thread at some of the photos of worn OPDA and cam gears to get an idea of what is considered minor or major wear patterns. It's possible the lifter noise and misfires are all associated to a worn cam and gear but it could be other things as well. If its only one lifter making the noise, it's possible the lifter is not pumping up fully at start-up due to a restricted oil passage. If it's all the lifters making noise, I'd guess you've got substantial lifter/cam lobe wear tied to the OPDA issue.

jhickman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2012, 11:48 PM   #4127
TrailJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Ok, so trying to get the bearings out for the sgmod. What is the best way to pull them if i don't have a vise?

'06 LJ
TrailJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 04:18 AM   #4128
Sgt_Utz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Here is mine. Hard to tell from pictures, but theres a definate groove in the gear where its worn down. Not critical, but I know it will eventually need to be addressed.

Suggestions?

Ill check the pulleys as recommended but useless to check the fan clutch as mine doesnt have one (electric fan)
Sgt_Utz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 07:42 AM   #4129
jeep4752

This thread is really getting messed up. There are two different problems that have gotten mixed together and are confusing people.

This thread was originally set up to discuss the problems with the oem OPDA in '05 and '06 Wrangler's. The best solution is to do the stripperguy mod, i did it and it works fine, no more laughing monkey. This mod is very easy to do, the procedure about how to install it has been discussed at length on here many times and little tricks and tips have been too to help make it even easier for you to install. I encourge new people to this thread to take the time and go back through the posts and read what others and myself have written about this problem and it's ultimate fix, atleast the stripperguy mod is best we have currently. There is an alignment problem with the bearings in the oem OPDA and that has been discussed a bit, this is likely why the upper bushings are drying up and squealing, too much stress on them. This is also likely why the OPDA gear is wearing on some quicker than others too. SOME of the oem OPDA's weren't made properly, others kinda were, it's a crap shoot! Like has been said many times, pull out your OPDA and just check it. The removal procedures have been illustrated many times in this thread. Line up the timing mark on the harmonic balancer with the timing mark on the front of the engine(0), make certain the hole in OPDA housing lines up perfectly with the hole in the gear in the top of the OPDA shaft. One other thing i did with mine when i removed it was to locate a common area on both my old OPDA and the new OPDA where it meets the engine block and mark the base of the housing to the block, on both OPDA's. When you put the new OPDA in, align this mark and no problems! My new unit fell right into place after adjusting the oil pump drive a bit with a screw driver. This is VERY easy to do! It will atleast give you an idea of what is going on and you can decide if you need to replace anything. But i would highly reccommned regardless that you do the stripperguy mod as there is no rhyme nor reason when these things will start to screw up.

Then someone started talking about oil. These '05/'06 engines were brought out in a time when the oem manufacturers stopped using engine oil with zinc in it. These 4L engines are flat tappet cam engines, flat tappets do not like oil without zinc in it. These engines were ran with zincless oil from day one and hence eventually the cam and lifters will degrade. This is likely why some of you are experiencing clattering lifters, especially the higher mileage Jeeps. This engine oil problem has nothing to do with the laughing monkey problem that is associated with the OPDA!!
jeep4752 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 09:08 AM   #4130
flyingjeff
2006 TJ Wrangler 

"These engines were ran with zincless oil from day one and hence eventually the cam and lifters will degrade."

And the cam is connected to the OPDA, is it not? There's your connection, as I see it. Anyway, I'm running Rotella T6 now because it's cheap insurance.

BTW, I looked and looked and never found a timing mark on my '06. I just rotated the engine until the holes in the OPDA aligned--done it twice now with no problem.
flyingjeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 10:23 AM   #4131
jeep4752

The cam is only 'connected' at the timing gear, nothing else, the gear on the OPDA is not going to wear the camshaft lifter surfaces and lifter faces. These gears are wearing because the OPDA housing is not machined properly, the top and bottom bushings are offset, this means that the bottom on some OPDAs are offset in a way that they mesh too hard with the cam gear and wear it faster. There is no oil in the world that will prevent this gear to gear wear, the oil with higher levels of zinc is meant to prolong the life of the cam lobe faces and lifter faces, thats all. The zinc helps 'cushion' the heavy contact of the lifters on the cam lobes.

There is no connection between the oil/zinc issue and the OPDA issue, they are two different issues.

The timing mark is on the driver's side of the front cover on the engine, if your Jeep has A/C, it's easier to see the mark from laying underneath the front. It's there, i found mine. Also look online for the spot that it's in. I won't trust just lining up the holes in the OPDA, the more places to line it up the better IMO.
Unread 12-31-2012, 11:57 AM   #4132
SSAdrenaline
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep4752 View Post
The cam is only 'connected' at the timing gear, nothing else, the gear on the OPDA is not going to wear the camshaft lifter surfaces and lifter faces. These gears are wearing because the OPDA housing is not machined properly, the top and bottom bushings are offset, this means that the bottom on some OPDAs are offset in a way that they mesh too hard with the cam gear and wear it faster. There is no oil in the world that will prevent this gear to gear wear, the oil with higher levels of zinc is meant to prolong the life of the cam lobe faces and lifter faces, thats all. The zinc helps 'cushion' the heavy contact of the lifters on the cam lobes.

There is no connection between the oil/zinc issue and the OPDA issue, they are two different issues.

The timing mark is on the driver's side of the front cover on the engine, if your Jeep has A/C, it's easier to see the mark from laying underneath the front. It's there, i found mine. Also look online for the spot that it's in. I won't trust just lining up the holes in the OPDA, the more places to line it up the better IMO.
Could you provide a picture of this please. This is the first time I have heard about this. Most say align the holes in the OPDA and be done with it.
SSAdrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 12:08 PM   #4133
jeep4752

This is a generic diagram:
118312161.gif  
Unread 12-31-2012, 12:26 PM   #4134
SSAdrenaline
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Nice diagram, do you align that to zero as well as the holes in the OPDA?
Unread 12-31-2012, 12:44 PM   #4135
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nice picture from the FSM but not like any of the few I've seen on the '05 & '06s, mine included. Here is the best photo I have of mine. Note that this is with the belt removed. It is best to get the holes lined up on the OPDA then check the timing marks to verify that it is on the mark.
p4110132.jpg  
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 01:02 PM   #4136
SSAdrenaline
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I love this forum. One of the best, just saying.
Unread 12-31-2012, 01:17 PM   #4137
Sgt_Utz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I found a fix for the 4.0 issues!

Anyone have a spare Hemi laying around?
Sgt_Utz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 01:21 PM   #4138
flyingjeff
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSAdrenaline View Post
I love this forum. One of the best, just saying.

^^^^^ This.
flyingjeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 01:59 PM   #4139
jeep4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
Nice picture from the FSM but not like any of the few I've seen on the '05 & '06s, mine included. Here is the best photo I have of mine. Note that this is with the belt removed. It is best to get the holes lined up on the OPDA then check the timing marks to verify that it is on the mark.
This is why i refered to the diagram as GENERIC, it gives people a GENERAL idea where the pointer is located. I wrote above what you just wrote, fyi. Line up as many things as you can to simplify removal/installation.
Unread 12-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #4140
jeep4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSAdrenaline View Post
Nice diagram, do you align that to zero as well as the holes in the OPDA?
Yes. It worked on my '06.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.