2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 275 - JeepForum.com

 4Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #4111 of 5448 Old 12-26-2012, 03:07 PM
blackjeep05
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: mckinney
Posts: 1,456
what brand? It was the E05 TSB.


Soccer six in the mix.
blackjeep05 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4112 of 5448 Old 12-26-2012, 03:21 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler
 
Rubi4MyMrs's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Trails of
Posts: 3,217
This is probably the one you are thinking of. Don’t expect too much unless you fall into the E05 & have never had the repair done.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ch...d-read-963235/
Rubi4MyMrs is offline  
post #4113 of 5448 Old 12-26-2012, 04:06 PM
Sgt_Utz
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fairfield, CA
Posts: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
This is probably the one you are thinking of. Don’t expect too much unless you fall into the E05 & have never had the repair done.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ch...d-read-963235/
Thats the thresd thanks!

I just pulled mine, and wss surprised to find that mine seems to be in really good shape. Should I be glad or no? Might be something completely unrelated..
Sgt_Utz is offline  
post #4114 of 5448 Old 12-26-2012, 04:10 PM
blackjeep05
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: mckinney
Posts: 1,456
If it was okay I woudn't worry. The 4.0L is known to be a louder engine than most anyways being the cam is in the block. Unless its knocking I woudn't waste btu's. Just keep it running.

Soccer six in the mix.
blackjeep05 is offline  
post #4115 of 5448 Old 12-26-2012, 10:45 PM
Sgt_Utz
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fairfield, CA
Posts: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjeep05 View Post
If it was okay I woudn't worry. The 4.0L is known to be a louder engine than most anyways being the cam is in the block. Unless its knocking I woudn't waste btu's. Just keep it running.
Well its dtarting to make a squealing sound more and more, and the lifter noise is getting worse. The thing sounds like crap and is embarrassing. Wondering if the noise is the water pump or something.
Sgt_Utz is offline  
post #4116 of 5448 Old 12-27-2012, 09:20 AM
jkp
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Warner Robins, GA
Posts: 597
Pull the belt and check all the pulleys. My '06 had the laughing monkey, turned out to be the tensioner pulley bearing, not the OPDA.

I remember seeing a few threads on some bad lifters, don't remember the yr affected.

'92 Islander
'06 Rubicon
jkp is offline  
post #4117 of 5448 Old 12-27-2012, 10:50 AM
blackjeep05
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: mckinney
Posts: 1,456
check your fan clutch too because when it would get cold out sometimes mine would make a crazy noise for a few seconds and go away. Once I replaced the fan clutch it hasn't come back since and these past few mornings here have been in the teen's so I think its safe to say its good.

Soccer six in the mix.
blackjeep05 is offline  
post #4118 of 5448 Old 12-27-2012, 10:56 AM
blackjeep05
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: mckinney
Posts: 1,456
Also too which you might already know if you pull the fan clutch don't let it sit in the down right position unless its for a minute or two because it will ruin it. If you happen to replace it with a new one its okay because the new clutch hasn't pushed the fluid around yet.

Soccer six in the mix.
blackjeep05 is offline  
post #4119 of 5448 Old 12-27-2012, 11:31 AM
flyingjeff
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Nashville
Posts: 96
Can someone shoot me the stripper guy instructions? Mike is apparently running a little behind. I'm just grateful that someone took the time to put this together!

mailto:hard9580@att.net
flyingjeff is offline  
post #4120 of 5448 Old 12-27-2012, 02:30 PM
ninjaturtle0
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 120
I started using VR1 dino. read on here its good for the opda with the extra z's
ninjaturtle0 is offline  
post #4121 of 5448 Old 12-27-2012, 03:29 PM
flyingjeff
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Nashville
Posts: 96
Received the stripperguy kit from Mike today. It's already together and ready to go in tomorrow (I took the zerk and set screw out from the first mod and am letting the JB Weld set.)

Nice Kit. Takes some patience since most of us don't have the right tools for this kind of work. Just improvise and don't score up the shaft. Working on firearms translates well to this effort, btw.

If you don't want to tackle it, I believe there is someone on this board who does the mod for you.

Last edited by flyingjeff; 12-27-2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: wrong word used.
flyingjeff is offline  
post #4122 of 5448 Old 12-28-2012, 01:08 AM
flying_bosun
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: 34*24'N, 119*42'W
Posts: 3,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingjeff
Received the stripperguy kit from Mike today. It's already together and ready to go in tomorrow (I took the zerk and set screw out from the first mod and am letting the JB Weld set.)

Nice Kit. Takes some patience since most of us don't have the right tools for this kind of work. Just improvise and don't score up the shaft. Working on firearms translates well to this effort, btw.

If you don't want to tackle it, I believe there is someone on this board who does the mod for you.
Anyone who needs it done can contact me and I'm happy to help out as I've done several already.

Gear-Calculator Stu Can Help You Part Names and Numbers Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Paul
“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul
"Did you exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"
flying_bosun is offline  
post #4123 of 5448 Old 12-28-2012, 11:13 PM
Bnotrab
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 4
My OPDA just starting showing signs of the "laughing monkey" on a trip back to Saint Louis, Mo from Chicago, IL. I've tried to do the best research I can on this problem and I get lost in all of it. Here's my plan of attack.. Buying a whole new OPDA unit. Looking at mopar online the OPDA and seal are about $130, not bad. Is this average for most? Next, I've read about the dorman OPDA unit, the grease zirk mod, and the stripperguy kit... What do you guys suggest as the best fix??
Bnotrab is offline  
post #4124 of 5448 Old 12-29-2012, 07:14 AM
jhickman1
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cedar Falls
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnotrab View Post
My OPDA just starting showing signs of the "laughing monkey" on a trip back to Saint Louis, Mo from Chicago, IL. I've tried to do the best research I can on this problem and I get lost in all of it. Here's my plan of attack.. Buying a whole new OPDA unit. Looking at mopar online the OPDA and seal are about $130, not bad. Is this average for most? Next, I've read about the dorman OPDA unit, the grease zirk mod, and the stripperguy kit... What do you guys suggest as the best fix??
I just did the stripper guy mod which is a permanent fix and it wasn't overly difficult. Stripperguy is very helpful during the process should you have questions. From what I've read, I believe if you purchase a new Mopar OPDA it is the original design that you currently have the problem with so you basically just "kick the can" a little further down the road. Don't have any experience with the Dorman unit other than reading from others they are not always readily available but I don't know how Dorman rectified the original design flaw. Good luck.
jhickman1 is offline  
post #4125 of 5448 Old 12-30-2012, 08:49 AM
BKilburn
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Fort Myers
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhickman1 View Post
I just did the stripper guy mod which is a permanent fix and it wasn't overly difficult. Stripperguy is very helpful during the process should you have questions. From what I've read, I believe if you purchase a new Mopar OPDA it is the original design that you currently have the problem with so you basically just "kick the can" a little further down the road. Don't have any experience with the Dorman unit other than reading from others they are not always readily available but I don't know how Dorman rectified the original design flaw. Good luck.
My LJ had its first instance of "Laughing Monkey" yesterday. I am lost in all of this as well. If I put a new OPDA with the mods in and do not replace the cam will an overly worn Cam gear have any negative effects on a new oil pump gear?

Also, very slight lifter chatter is becoming more noticeable and occasional missing at start-up after turning the Jeep off for 10-15 minutes when at running temperature. What will replacing the OPDA do, if anything, to help with this?

2006 Unlimited, 5.5" Long Arm, 35" MTR's w/ Kevlar
Wheel it like you Stole it!!
BKilburn is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
2005 jeep tj needs help Smith TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 19 03-08-2013 02:49 PM
Jeep Fire - Catastophic Failure tjone2 JK Wrangler Technical Forum 83 07-11-2012 08:01 AM
Help jeep is possessed. electrical failure? btn2020 YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 7 11-22-2009 03:44 AM
Emissions Failure : 89 Jeep HC & CO sports100 YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 12 04-30-2009 10:48 AM
2005 Jeep COLORS????? rem TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 2 08-21-2004 07:25 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome