2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 275 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Iron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCKZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 12-26-2012, 04:07 PM   #4111
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

what brand? It was the E05 TSB.

Unread 12-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #4112
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

This is probably the one you are thinking of. Don’t expect too much unless you fall into the E05 & have never had the repair done.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ch...d-read-963235/
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2012, 05:06 PM   #4113
Sgt_Utz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
This is probably the one you are thinking of. Don’t expect too much unless you fall into the E05 & have never had the repair done.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ch...d-read-963235/
Thats the thresd thanks!

I just pulled mine, and wss surprised to find that mine seems to be in really good shape. Should I be glad or no? Might be something completely unrelated..
Sgt_Utz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2012, 05:10 PM   #4114
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

If it was okay I woudn't worry. The 4.0L is known to be a louder engine than most anyways being the cam is in the block. Unless its knocking I woudn't waste btu's. Just keep it running.
Unread 12-26-2012, 11:45 PM   #4115
Sgt_Utz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjeep05 View Post
If it was okay I woudn't worry. The 4.0L is known to be a louder engine than most anyways being the cam is in the block. Unless its knocking I woudn't waste btu's. Just keep it running.
Well its dtarting to make a squealing sound more and more, and the lifter noise is getting worse. The thing sounds like crap and is embarrassing. Wondering if the noise is the water pump or something.
Sgt_Utz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #4116
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Pull the belt and check all the pulleys. My '06 had the laughing monkey, turned out to be the tensioner pulley bearing, not the OPDA.

I remember seeing a few threads on some bad lifters, don't remember the yr affected.
Unread 12-27-2012, 11:50 AM   #4117
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

check your fan clutch too because when it would get cold out sometimes mine would make a crazy noise for a few seconds and go away. Once I replaced the fan clutch it hasn't come back since and these past few mornings here have been in the teen's so I think its safe to say its good.
Unread 12-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #4118
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

Also too which you might already know if you pull the fan clutch don't let it sit in the down right position unless its for a minute or two because it will ruin it. If you happen to replace it with a new one its okay because the new clutch hasn't pushed the fluid around yet.
Unread 12-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #4119
flyingjeff
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Can someone shoot me the stripper guy instructions? Mike is apparently running a little behind. I'm just grateful that someone took the time to put this together!

mailto:hard9580@att.net
flyingjeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #4120
ninjaturtle0
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I started using VR1 dino. read on here its good for the opda with the extra z's
ninjaturtle0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #4121
flyingjeff
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Received the stripperguy kit from Mike today. It's already together and ready to go in tomorrow (I took the zerk and set screw out from the first mod and am letting the JB Weld set.)

Nice Kit. Takes some patience since most of us don't have the right tools for this kind of work. Just improvise and don't score up the shaft. Working on firearms translates well to this effort, btw.

If you don't want to tackle it, I believe there is someone on this board who does the mod for you.

Last edited by flyingjeff; 12-27-2012 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: wrong word used.
flyingjeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2012, 02:08 AM   #4122
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingjeff
Received the stripperguy kit from Mike today. It's already together and ready to go in tomorrow (I took the zerk and set screw out from the first mod and am letting the JB Weld set.)

Nice Kit. Takes some patience since most of us don't have the right tools for this kind of work. Just improvise and don't score up the shaft. Working on firearms translates well to this effort, btw.

If you don't want to tackle it, I believe there is someone on this board who does the mod for you.
Anyone who needs it done can contact me and I'm happy to help out as I've done several already.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2012, 12:13 AM   #4123
Bnotrab
2006 TJ Wrangler 

My OPDA just starting showing signs of the "laughing monkey" on a trip back to Saint Louis, Mo from Chicago, IL. I've tried to do the best research I can on this problem and I get lost in all of it. Here's my plan of attack.. Buying a whole new OPDA unit. Looking at mopar online the OPDA and seal are about $130, not bad. Is this average for most? Next, I've read about the dorman OPDA unit, the grease zirk mod, and the stripperguy kit... What do you guys suggest as the best fix??
Bnotrab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2012, 08:14 AM   #4124
jhickman1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnotrab View Post
My OPDA just starting showing signs of the "laughing monkey" on a trip back to Saint Louis, Mo from Chicago, IL. I've tried to do the best research I can on this problem and I get lost in all of it. Here's my plan of attack.. Buying a whole new OPDA unit. Looking at mopar online the OPDA and seal are about $130, not bad. Is this average for most? Next, I've read about the dorman OPDA unit, the grease zirk mod, and the stripperguy kit... What do you guys suggest as the best fix??
I just did the stripper guy mod which is a permanent fix and it wasn't overly difficult. Stripperguy is very helpful during the process should you have questions. From what I've read, I believe if you purchase a new Mopar OPDA it is the original design that you currently have the problem with so you basically just "kick the can" a little further down the road. Don't have any experience with the Dorman unit other than reading from others they are not always readily available but I don't know how Dorman rectified the original design flaw. Good luck.
jhickman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #4125
BKilburn
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhickman1 View Post
I just did the stripper guy mod which is a permanent fix and it wasn't overly difficult. Stripperguy is very helpful during the process should you have questions. From what I've read, I believe if you purchase a new Mopar OPDA it is the original design that you currently have the problem with so you basically just "kick the can" a little further down the road. Don't have any experience with the Dorman unit other than reading from others they are not always readily available but I don't know how Dorman rectified the original design flaw. Good luck.
My LJ had its first instance of "Laughing Monkey" yesterday. I am lost in all of this as well. If I put a new OPDA with the mods in and do not replace the cam will an overly worn Cam gear have any negative effects on a new oil pump gear?

Also, very slight lifter chatter is becoming more noticeable and occasional missing at start-up after turning the Jeep off for 10-15 minutes when at running temperature. What will replacing the OPDA do, if anything, to help with this?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.