2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 255 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #3811
jeep06
2015 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken12 View Post
I didn't think to make marks on the old one before I pulled it. When I went to install the new OPDA I wasn't sure how to line it up. Sure would have been nice to have marks on the old OPDA to transfer onto the new one. Oops... I followed the FSM installation procedures so it ended up at about 4 o'clock. It started, but gave me a P0016 code after a few minutes, which tells me the timing is off. It also won't rev above 3000 rpm, which again tells me the timing is off.
The one and only time (so far) I've pulled my OPDA was when I was ready to install a new one with the oil cup mod by Willerdigger. I simply rotated the engine over until the alignment holes lined up on the old OPDA unit (also made sure engine was on TDC using notches on damper), pulled the alignment pin from the new unit and installed it in the old one. So after pulling the old OPDA, I simply put the nylon pin back in the new OPDA, installed it and all was well. No codes and started up first time with no problems. I think this is about the best fool proof way to do it if you have a new OPDA going in since it has the nylon alignment pin. Hope this wasn't too confusing... it's really easy after you do it once.

Unread 10-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #3812
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I just finished replacing the cam. Also put in a new SG mod OPDA. Now to drive it and verify it's fixed. But I have a question on the oil pump. I changed the oil and wanted to run the oil pump before starting the engine. So I made a shaft that fits the oil pump and my drill, then used the drill to spin the oil pump. The first few revolutions spun real easy, then I felt the drill bog down like the oil pump was working real hard. So I pulled the drill/shaft out and used a screwdriver to manually turn the oil pump. I could definitely feel resistance there. It wasn't hard to turn, just a firm resistance, more than I expected. I've never spun an oil pump manually, so I don't know if it's normal or not. Comments???
I have used this method many times to get the system primed. Yes the drill will definitely bog down when the pressure builds up & yes, the oil is cold so thicker than when hot but you see what the oil pump drive goes through every cold start up. That is what the gear is designed to do. No question the OPDAs add a lot of drag when the bushing gets dry & hot & starts binding. That, the gear is not designed for!
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #3813
Ken12
2005 LJ Wrangler 

ODPA question. Both my old OPDA and the new one have a bit of what I'll call rotational slop in the shaft when it's installed in the engine. I can rotate the top plate back and forth a bit, maybe 2-3 degrees. I can't move it laterally, just rotationally. It sounds and feels like the OPDA gear and the camshaft hear have a fairly loose tolerance, and it allows the shaft some movement. Is that normal? I'm guessing the answer is yes, but don't like guessing.
Ken12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2012, 07:38 AM   #3814
TroubleNEO
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Ordered a set of crows foot wrenches, so hopefully I'll be able to get mine out. Been spraying the bolt with PB every time I'm under the hood, but the stupid 12 point wrench I had just wasn't doing it and the last thing I was to do is strip that bolt out...
Unread 10-19-2012, 07:39 AM   #3815
TroubleNEO
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
ODPA question. Both my old OPDA and the new one have a bit of what I'll call rotational slop in the shaft when it's installed in the engine. I can rotate the top plate back and forth a bit, maybe 2-3 degrees. I can't move it laterally, just rotationally. It sounds and feels like the OPDA gear and the camshaft hear have a fairly loose tolerance, and it allows the shaft some movement. Is that normal? I'm guessing the answer is yes, but don't like guessing.
Yes, that is normal.
Unread 10-19-2012, 07:56 AM   #3816
MJ12
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubleNEO View Post
Ordered a set of crows foot wrenches, so hopefully I'll be able to get mine out. Been spraying the bolt with PB every time I'm under the hood, but the stupid 12 point wrench I had just wasn't doing it and the last thing I was to do is strip that bolt out...
Try Kroil, it tends to work much better, just a bit harder to find. Thats all we use at work and I work on the ocean front on large steel sinking boats. (a very corrosive environment)
Unread 10-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #3817
cmecha
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I agree about Kroil its amazing stuff
Unread 10-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #3818
Ambulldog

Okay did the SG mod easiest way to do it is to use a 9/16 tap for both bushings, then thread in a bolt and tap out the old bushing with a punch.
I ordered a new distributer and did the mod. I got an LDI unit and have to say is was quite pathetic. When I pulled the top bushing there was a dried up paper like consistency to the grease, almost powdery, I don't think that would have lubricated anything. Next question is who has the longest running SG modded distributer, time and mileage would be nice.
Ambulldog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #3819
dandaman99701
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Had flying_bosun perform my SG mod because I didn't feel comfortable doing it. He has done others and I would recommend his services to anyone who is experiencing hesitation doing this procedure themselves.
dandaman99701 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #3820
cmecha
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandaman99701 View Post
Had flying_bosun perform my SG mod because I didn't feel comfortable doing it. He has done others and I would recommend his services to anyone who is experiencing hesitation doing this procedure themselves.
had him do my beta kit awesome guy
Unread 10-21-2012, 07:46 AM   #3821
Ken12
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Update. New camshaft and new OPDA with SG bearing mod kit installed. As others have experienced, I had a bit of binding after first installing the SG kit. That is gone after driving it a bit, the shaft now spins smoothly. Ran the engine for the 20-minute camshaft break-in, then drove it for 110 miles. I was expecting the OPDA gear to look new, but see some wear marks. Here's what the OPDA gear looks like now.
opda-new-gear-110-miles-8-medium-.jpg  
Ken12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #3822
derrick_ozzy
2006 TJ Wrangler 

So the opda has to be replaced to do any of these mods to fix the problem right??? Is there a way to mod current and change the damaged gear to fix the problem. I have never dealt with this problem and get rid of this turd,But i love it even though it's a money pit. I don't have any major machines,tools,skills,and i wana get this fixed asap. It takes a few days through local dodge dealers to get a new opda and there sayin 175 up. I know i'm askin a lot here quick easy simple.
derrick_ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #3823
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

No, replacement is not necessary. It depends on how bad your unit is. I had uneven & somewhat excessive gear wear (for 20k miles) & the beginning of the laughing monkey with some top bushing galling & discolored shaft from heat. I cleaned everything up, replaced the gear & added my oil cup mod & put it back in. So far no issues. In a month or so I will be changing the oil & will pull it for it's 2nd inspection but expect it to be good. Probably spent $40.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2012, 12:32 PM   #3824
derrick_ozzy
2006 TJ Wrangler 

This what it looks like the gear i know needs to be replaced. Thanks rubi i'm afraid i'm gona have to be walked through anything with this.
047-800x600-.jpg  
derrick_ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #3825
jabba_96
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandaman99701 View Post
did you just send your opda to him or do you live by him? i might feel better having sombody with experience do it so i know its done right. ive contacted stripperguy and he said he should have my kit in about a week or so. i was going to just mod the old one but if i could have flying bosun do it i would just order a new one. let me know thanks
jabba_96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.