2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 251 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 10-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #3751
4x4Brit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ12
Any interest in a video install of the stripper mod?
Would love to see one!

4x4Brit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2012, 10:52 PM   #3752
ops5

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Brit

Would love to see one!
Same here
ops5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #3753
Kalten
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just joined so I could PM SG. While I have not heard the typical sound associated with the OPDA problem, Mine is making a bit of a racket, more like a knock. I have a bone stock '06 TJ with just over 50k. Using a poor mans stethoscope I was able to pinpoint the noise to the OPDA. I have not pulled it out to inspect it yet. Is it better to just rebuild a new OPDA with the SG kit or to retrofit the original unit. Reason I ask is concern about the gear wear. Should I pull the existing one now and check on the cam wear before I order a new one? Should I just plan on having a new cam installed as well as a new/modded OPDA.
Kalten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #3754
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalten
Just joined so I could PM SG. While I have not heard the typical sound associated with the OPDA problem, Mine is making a bit of a racket, more like a knock. I have a bone stock '06 TJ with just over 50k. Using a poor mans stethoscope I was able to pinpoint the noise to the OPDA. I have not pulled it out to inspect it yet. Is it better to just rebuild a new OPDA with the SG kit or to retrofit the original unit. Reason I ask is concern about the gear wear. Should I pull the existing one now and check on the cam wear before I order a new one? Should I just plan on having a new cam installed as well as a new/modded OPDA.
Start with pulling it and inspecting both OPDA and cam gears. Post pics, especially of the cam gear.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #3755
Dan the man
2006 LJ Wrangler 

After installing a new opda a few months ago I have a sound @ around 10 to 25 mph when accelerating or decelerating. Goes away above and below those speeds.
Could it be bad again ? or something else going on ? Thoughts .
Dan the man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #3756
Ken12
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalten View Post
Reason I ask is concern about the gear wear. Should I pull the existing one now and check on the cam wear before I order a new one? Should I just plan on having a new cam installed as well as a new/modded OPDA.
I wouldn't replace parts before confirming they are bad. My recommendation is to pull the OPDA and check the gear. If it's good, the cam should be good, also. If it's worn, check the cam, too. My stock 05 just turned 30K. I pulled the OPDA after reading this thread and found extreme wear. I then checked the cam and saw matching wear. I'm replacing the cam and putting in an SG modified OPDA.
Ken12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2012, 11:56 PM   #3757
njseifrick
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Any interest in a video install of the stripper mod?

That would sure be helpful!
njseifrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2012, 08:48 AM   #3758
MJ12
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Going to pull the OPDA out this afternoon, if cam gear and OPDA gear look ok I will go ahead and make the video tonight/tomorrow if not there may be some delay as I will end up replacing my cam.
Unread 10-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #3759
xjandyj

rev-f

trying to wrap my head around all this info...i searched and didnt find this..my 06 lj was made during the last wek of production in 6/06..the odpa is marked rev-f....thought the last design was rev-e..

thoughts
xjandyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #3760
ops5

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjandyj
trying to wrap my head around all this info...i searched and didnt find this..my 06 lj was made during the last wek of production in 6/06..the odpa is marked rev-f....thought the last design was rev-e..

thoughts
Are you sure the lettering isnt just worn off so it looks like an F?
Unread 10-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #3761
xjandyj

dang it...i licked my finger and sure enuff,,,a faint lower line...rev-e

i ordered stripperguys kit without even pulling it...

where is the cheapest place to get a new odpa......i want to convert the new and swap...

also if the drive gear is worn..replace with another 05/06 gear, or do the 04 and earlier and drill it?
Unread 10-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #3762
Ken12
2005 LJ Wrangler 

As I understand it, the problem isn't with the gear itself, it's caused by the bushings in the 05/06 OPDA's not getting enough lubrication. That causes the shaft to bind, which causes excessive wear on the gear. When you mentioned "04 and earlier", did you mean just the gear? I think the gear is the same. The 05/06 OPDA's themselves are different and not interchangeable the 04's and earlier.
Ken12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #3763
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken12 View Post
As I understand it, the problem isn't with the gear itself, it's caused by the bushings in the 05/06 OPDA's not getting enough lubrication. That causes the shaft to bind, which causes excessive wear on the gear.
That's one interpretation. My OPDA had gear wear but no binding at 9,300 when I bought the Jeep. My contention is that many of these OPDAs had improperly alloyed/hardened gears. The poor bushing design is just icing on the cake.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #3764
xjandyj

Ok. So where is the best/cheapest place to get another one? Didn't see it in the top sticky section
Unread 10-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #3765
ops5

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjandyj
Ok. So where is the best/cheapest place to get another one? Didn't see it in the top sticky section
I think there is a section titled "acquisition" on page one of this thread with a link

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.