2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 236 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, Yu

Unread 08-09-2012, 06:36 AM   #3526
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just an FYI on the gasket.
I helped a friend replace his OPDA, and the gasket broke up into several pieces. He didn't order a new one when he got the OPDA, so I went to my parts stash of old distributors to see if any were the same size. I had an old points distributor out of a CJ7 with a V8, and it looked close. Went to AZ and they had a new one in stock for less than a dollar. Perfect fit...

06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2012, 08:01 AM   #3527
pwmac
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSchwag View Post
I have on 05' 4.0 and just found this thread after searching "ticking". I guess my best bet is to pull the OPDA, inspect it for wear, and replace if it shows wear. Few questions if you dont mind, i'm sure they have been answered so I appologize.

How much wear would there have to be before i decide to replace it?

should I just by a new one, mod it, and install it?

05' with 59k
==============
No answer. Just read the messages and look at the various pics. Pull yours, compare, then decide. Most guys just pull and mod and reinstall, then see what happens.
The later mods are somewhat better than the original Fog, but many of us are still running the Fog mod.
PW
pwmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #3528
speed_phreak
2005 TJ Wrangler 

wow! I am happy to hear that there may actually be a permanent solution to this issue! I need a new opda with the stripper mod and a new camshaft and I think I will be as good as new.

Once parts are available I will need someone with the proper equipment to send my opda to for the stripper mod.
speed_phreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #3529
john NC
1979 CJ5 

i've put 250-300 miles on my stripperguy modded OPDA with no problems. thanks again mike! if i'm ever in NY i'll buy you a beer
john NC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2012, 05:04 PM   #3530
tommyduncan
2012 JK Wrangler 

I think this looks like a great solution to the problem. Put me on the list when you are ready to sell more kits. I have two friends with 05s as well and I plan to alert them to this problem. I just ordered a new OPDA for an 05 and an 04 with the intention of taking them to my friends and former employers who are known for solving these types of problems in the racing industry. My next step was to try to come up with an estimate of the potential sales if they came up with a fix. It looks like I'm a little too late for this. I'm just glad there's a fix for this because I plan on keeping this Jeep for quite some time.
tommyduncan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2012, 02:18 AM   #3531
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum, tommy. Just thought I'd mention that '04 isn't the same design at all, really, and isn't generally afflicted with this problem.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2012, 09:10 AM   #3532
JustinCHorst
2005 LJ Wrangler 

sign me up for one when you have some for sale please!!! Thanks again!!!!
JustinCHorst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #3533
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

If we are running a new fogmodded oil cup opda should we still consider the new unit?
Unread 08-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #3534
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
If we are running a new fogmodded oil cup ooda should we still consider the new unit?
I'd say yes. Can't beat the price and with this mod you will have total security that it's fixed right.

With that said I think you will see what if any updates on the stripperguy stuff will come about in the next couple weeks.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #3535
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

What is the price currently and is he selling them with the mod installed?
Unread 08-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #3536
cmecha
2006 TJ Wrangler 

nope but if you get the parts flying bosun can install them as well.
Unread 08-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #3537
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

What is the status on new parts?
Unread 08-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #3538
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If we are running a new fogmodded oil cup opda should we still consider the new unit?
If you're on the fence on getting an oil cup or stripper mod, I think it's safe to go the stripper route. There is still very low miles on the testers so I don't know if I would say for a certainty it is the end all be all fix. I think the thought is there and there is no reason for me to think otherwise, but for the skeptics, time will tell.

The issue now is parts availability. As I understand it, these are custom parts through stripper only and he only got/made a certain number. I would assume at some point he would get more, but I don't think he is interested in mass production. That's just my impression over the posts in this thread. I could be way off.

The oil cup is a reasonable solution if you don't have anything done. I certainly wouldn't wait for parts if you haven't done anything. PM stripper for parts availability. If he offers another run, get in line to be a tester.

For the record I did not get a stripper mod. Consider me a continued tester of the oil cup in case stripper decides not to produce anymore kits.
Unread 08-16-2012, 02:18 PM   #3539
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have the oil cup mod you did for me. Currently has 4000 miles on it. Just wondering if I should be hopping on the new part band wagon. If they become more available I may get one.
Unread 08-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #3540
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have the oil cup mod you did for me. Currently has 4000 miles on it. Just wondering if I should be hopping on the new part band wagon. If they become more available I may get one.
Like Bob said, I don't think it will hurt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.