2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 232 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-16-2012, 11:14 PM   #3466
Bigbob

Got my parts from stripper guy today. Looks very very promising. He gets the raisen pie I think.

Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #3467
czechsky
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Good luck with that BigBob. Still following this thread and running my WillyDigger mod/oil cup at the present time and it is serving me well but, like many, I am hoping this is the final fix.
czechsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2012, 11:06 PM   #3468
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechsky View Post
Good luck with that BigBob. Still following this thread and running my WillyDigger mod/oil cup at the present time and it is serving me well but, like many, I am hoping this is the final fix.
I think it is! I am installing it tomorrow in my oldest OPDA and will run it as is for a while to see how it holds up. I know after I pull it after a couple thousand it will show no wear at all, but I will be looking at the shaft sleeve ETC for any movement or excess play in the shaft/sleeve fit. I will also be looking for any oil seepage where the bearing holder fits against the OPDA housing. (The upper seal is eliminated with this so oil will work it's way up.) If it does seep oil there a dab of silicon should fix things. Eventually I'll try my flow through oil design with it. I still like the idea of extra oil to the pinion gear.
This is a very precision engineered set-up. It fits together like a clock. Pretty slick work. Very simple, but impressive.
LOL I did pull my unit apart today. Removed the stock bushings, yes they are steel and yes there is a seal under that upper bushing. Just silly.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2012, 06:41 AM   #3469
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I only had my new one installed while Mike did my old one so it was used for about 20 miles total in the 5 days. I swapped them that afternoon and could not tell the differance between the two as far as feeling for play in the shaft or resistance in rotating the shaft. I would not be surprised if it out lasted the Jeep . Its been in over a week now and its quiet as a ever and runs like a clock.
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2012, 08:49 AM   #3470
cmecha
2006 TJ Wrangler 

if any one wants to sell me a spare let me know as i want to send one to Mike
Unread 07-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #3471
venturalocal69
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Does the OPDA failure occure in the 2006 Wrangler as well? I've got about 27,000 miles on mine...should I check it out???
venturalocal69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #3472
JustinCHorst
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by venturalocal69 View Post
Does the OPDA failure occure in the 2006 Wrangler as well? I've got about 27,000 miles on mine...should I check it out???
can happen in all 2005's and 2006's...check it out
JustinCHorst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #3473
LRod
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If you haven't done it, read page one of this post It will explain the OPDA problem and the oil problem, touching on the gear hardness and wear points.
LRod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2012, 03:37 PM   #3474
venturalocal69
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Son of a *****. Thanks guys.
venturalocal69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #3475
Laredo-Alex
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by venturalocal69 View Post
Did you check the recalls on your wrangler? I´ve got 32`mls and the recall for the OPDA was not done, so i took it to the dealer and they did all the work => for free inclusive another car for the time they need to work on mine

Here you can check the recalls with your VIN:

https://preview.owners.jeep.com/sub/...52F&Source=%2F

Good luck!!
Unread 07-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #3476
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo-Alex View Post
Did you check the recalls on your wrangler? I´ve got 32`mls and the recall for the OPDA was not done, so i took it to the dealer and they did all the work => for free inclusive another car for the time they need to work on mine

Here you can check the recalls with your VIN:

https://preview.owners.jeep.com/sub/...52F&Source=%2F

Good luck!!
The OPDA was never part of any recall (at least in the U.S.A.)
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #3477
Laredo-Alex
2005 LJ Wrangler 

my Rubicon is from the US and i checked the vin and got the open recall. Have you tried it?
Unread 07-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #3478
JustinCHorst
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
my Rubicon is from the US and i checked the vin and got the open recall. Have you tried it?
You need to read...they replced your gear or your opda...doesnt really matter because you still have the same potential problem we all have...yours isnt fixed
JustinCHorst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #3479
Laredo-Alex
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Here you can check it aswell

http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/j...m%28%27R%27%29

i´ve made a screenshot on the recall ... tomorrow at work i´ll do a scan for you!
Unread 07-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #3480
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i´ve made a screenshot on the recall ... tomorrow at work i´ll do a scan for you!
I'll look for your screenshot post, 'cuz again, there was never an OPDA related recall. There was a technical service bulletin that you might be thinking about, but it was related to the drive gear, not the primary problem this thread is dedicated to, which is shaft binding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
Section 2: Problems

A TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) was issued. There is no RECALL.
2005 JEEP WRANGLER Bulletin - Vehicle Safety TSB ID 9419
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/tsbs/results.cfm

2005 JEEP WRANGLER Bulletin - Vehicle Safety TSB ID 9419
NHTSA Item Number: 10013784
Service Bulletin #: 05
Replacement #:
Vehicle/Equipment Make: JEEP
Vehicle/Eqipment Model: WRANGLER
Model Year: 2005
Mfg Component Code: 060000 ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
Date of Bulletin: 2005-03-01
Date Added: 2005-04-26
Summary: THE OIL PUMP DRIVE GEAR ON ABOUT 16,000 OF THE ABOVE VEHICLE MAY WEAR OUT PREMATURELY AND CAUSE ENGINE FAILURE DUE TO A LOSS OF OIL PRESSURE. *SC
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.