2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 229 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 07-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #3421
JustinCHorst
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by domano 68 View Post
Wow, amazing thread and tons of information.

"NOTE : This notification applies only to the above vehicles equipped with a 4.0L eligible ("S" in the 8th VIN position) and an engine build code between 902944 (October 20, 2004) and 900325 (February 1, 2005)."

I have the S in the 8th position of my VIN. Where can I find information about this build code?

Just want to determine if my LJ is affected. My VIN is 1J4FA44SX5P349069 TIA!
it is...all 2005-2006s are

JustinCHorst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #3422
domano 68
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCHorst View Post
it is...all 2005-2006s are
Ok. Where do I look to find my engine build code location?
Unread 07-05-2012, 10:38 AM   #3423
JustinCHorst
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by domano 68 View Post
Ok. Where do I look to find my engine build code location?
should be on the door frame (drivers)...but seriously it doesnt matter we all can have/do have the opda issue...every single 05-06, chrysler sucks..but I do love my LJ
JustinCHorst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #3424
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

USPS Priority Mail , You should have it by Monday Stripperguy.
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #3425
Brainwashed2566
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
To all:

Here are some photos of the retrofitted OPDA, along with some simple details..

Here are the OEM parts, in all their scored and burnt glory

Here's the pile of parts I made/bought to do the retrofit

Here's the setup for the only required modification: drilling of 3 holes, using the upper bearing housing as a template

Here's a view from the bottom, showing the custom manufactured bronze Oilite bushing pressed in place. It's a light press and could be done with a soft mallet. Also, I am pointing to one of the 3 drilled holes.

Here is the retrofitted OPDA, along with the $400 bore micrometer and custom ground reamer that I needed to do the job correctly.

Here is a top view of the retrofitted OPDA, showing the custom machined upper bearing housing. Not visible are the shaft sleeves and deep groove, sealed ball bearing.

Here is a side view, showing the position of the target wheel. Don't be fooled by the apparent mislocation, that's just an artifact of the camera perspective, the target wheel is in the same position as OEM, since it's location is determined by the thrust bearing and drive gear.

I do not have photos of how incredibly smooth the OPDA shaft rotates, you'll have to take my word for that!!
Also, if you noticed how scored the shaft was at the upper bushing location, that scoring has no effect on this retrofit.
I now need to pull my OPDA and swap around the sensors.

Of course these need beta testing, but I imagine this retrofitted OPDA will never have a bearing or gear wear problem again. NEVER!!
Looks amazing, can't wait to see these in action.
Brainwashed2566 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #3426
-JD-
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Ok, I pulled my old OPDA (New one might just continue to sit on the shelf).

55Kmi. And I've had it for 5K.

Spins very smoothly. Even, shallow gear wear on the drive face and almost no backlash wear. Minor scoring at the lower bushing, a noticeable groove at the upper seal, and almost no appreciable wear at the upper bushing. There was even evidence of oil/grease/something around the upper bushing where it meets the housing below the target wheel.

My little digital camera had trouble focusing on the cam so I'll try to get a better shot tomorrow and bring in my borescope - but it almost looks like there was significantly more cam gear wear than OPDA gear wear. It leads me to wonder if the OPDA wasn't replaced maybe 10K and 2-3 years or so ago.

What do you all think?

ETA: Updated Cam-gear photos.
gear.jpg   shaftngearshot.jpg   cam-1.jpg   cam-2.jpg  
2006 Rubicon Unlimited 6-Sp Manual - 285/75/16 Cooper ST MAXX/stock Moab wheels, Savvy Under Armor BL/MML, Savvy Step-Rocker/Sliders, Savvy/Currie Ultimate Steering, Savvy UCAs, Currie LCAs, TBs and BSs, Nth/AEV 3" Springs, Rancho 9000XLs (255s/256s), ARB D44 Diff covers, Savvy/Tom Woods HD Rubicon Rear drive shaft, Genright Safari 31gal Tank Soon: Savvy LED Lights, new engine :-(
-JD- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #3427
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thats kind of where I am at , the jeep has 50 some thousand on it but I have only owned it for the last couple months which is less than a thousand miles. Mine didn't look like it had any issues but who knows if it was a replacement or not, what kind of oil was used and so on . Thats why I am playing it safe and install a modded one very soon.
Unread 07-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #3428
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Stripperguy,

If you need/have room for another tester, I'd be interested. I fixed my gear wear problem by replacing the cam and OPDA drive gear, but still have the issue of the shaft wear of course.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2012, 09:52 PM   #3429
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Some, yes, but not all are spoken for yet...
First set of OPDA's for beta testing will cost only enough to cover my materials, no labor charges. Shipping is OPDA owners' responsibility.
Mike, yes I have the original, old one too.......would that one be better? Do you mod or regrind the shaft down or? ALso, where do I get the new gear that slips on the bottom of te shaft? Also, I could send you BOTH. That way I have a spare on hand.

ANdrew

Your inbox is full and needs to be cleared out btw.
GMBNT42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 06:19 AM   #3430
stripperguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Sorry guys,
That box has been filling pretty fast. Just cleaned it out, feel free to PM me.
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #3431
-JD-
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JD- View Post
Ok, I pulled my old OPDA (New one might just continue to sit on the shelf).

55Kmi. And I've had it for 5K.

Spins very smoothly. Even, shallow gear wear on the drive face and almost no backlash wear. Minor scoring at the lower bushing, a noticeable groove at the upper seal, and almost no appreciable wear at the upper bushing. There was even evidence of oil/grease/something around the upper bushing where it meets the housing below the target wheel.

My little digital camera had trouble focusing on the cam so I'll try to get a better shot tomorrow and bring in my borescope - but it almost looks like there was significantly more cam gear wear than OPDA gear wear. It leads me to wonder if the OPDA wasn't replaced maybe 10K and 2-3 years or so ago.

What do you all think?

Ok, I got a decent camera and updated the cam-gear pics.

Any reason not to just mod this one and keep the new one on the shelf? I'd imagine that it would result in less cam gear wear compared to introducing a new OPDA gear into the equation.
2006 Rubicon Unlimited 6-Sp Manual - 285/75/16 Cooper ST MAXX/stock Moab wheels, Savvy Under Armor BL/MML, Savvy Step-Rocker/Sliders, Savvy/Currie Ultimate Steering, Savvy UCAs, Currie LCAs, TBs and BSs, Nth/AEV 3" Springs, Rancho 9000XLs (255s/256s), ARB D44 Diff covers, Savvy/Tom Woods HD Rubicon Rear drive shaft, Genright Safari 31gal Tank Soon: Savvy LED Lights, new engine :-(
-JD- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2012, 01:44 AM   #3432
bonza
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JD- View Post
Ok, I got a decent camera and updated the cam-gear pics.

Any reason not to just mod this one and keep the new one on the shelf? I'd imagine that it would result in less cam gear wear compared to introducing a new OPDA gear into the equation.
looks very similar to mine. I modded the old unit and re-installed and have been removing it every 3,000 miles to inspect. have done about 12,000 miles or more on it since with no further deterioration. also have an unused fogmodded spare in the garage for just in case.

I also think you will find the wear as shown on the images for the cam looks worse than what it actually is. mine looks the same and I used a scriber or o-ring pick and "felt" the wear on the teeth and could not feel a step or strations of any sort. I think you will find it is just the normal bedding in rubbing marks from the mating gears
Unread 07-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #3433
john NC
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatlord View Post
I also have a brand new unit I am willing to test. Let me know if you need additional testers.

You sir, are my hero.
same here, a tip of the hat to you sir
john NC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 08:01 PM   #3434
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have my OPDA back and installed this afternoon after Mike worked his magic on it and it started up and runs like it was new. I have all the faith in the world in this man's work after talking with him and reading about some of his company's projects . As they say time will tell and I don't expect to have anything but smiles to report on .
Unread 07-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #3435
Killedbybob
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ok installed new opda without any mods. I used the alignment pin method. And it still is making squealing noises. Y would a brand new unit be squealing already? The jeep runs fine other than that.
Black 2005 TJ 4.0L Automatic l Dana 44 Rear l Viper 791XV l RB1 Nav System l Top Five Rack and Safari Basket l Cobra 75wx st l RE 3.5 Super Flex l 305x70xr16 Nitto Mud Grapplers l Sniper Fab Front Bumper l Sniper Fab Tube Fenders l Rockhard 4x4 Rear Swingaway Bumper l Shrockworks rocker guards l TW front and rear driveshafts l
Killedbybob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.