2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 227 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 06-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #3391
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Digger,
Everything in your above post is spot on IMO. However, I don't agree with the change drive gears part though because there just isn't a good prospect out there. The aftermarket ones are not a simple swap on job, and there is too great a chance that there could be some misalignment that will wipe out the cam.
Gear cut, hardness, quality control, too many things can go wrong.

The only gear I would swap in would be from a brand new OPDA, but at $125 each, not a viable option for everybody. Me personally, I plan to just swap out my OPDA every 40 - 50K or so. I'll pull it frequently and check the wear, and go from there.

06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 09:19 AM   #3392
JustinCHorst
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioTex View Post
Digger,
Everything in your above post is spot on IMO. However, I don't agree with the change drive gears part though because there just isn't a good prospect out there. The aftermarket ones are not a simple swap on job, and there is too great a chance that there could be some misalignment that will wipe out the cam.
Gear cut, hardness, quality control, too many things can go wrong.

The only gear I would swap in would be from a brand new OPDA, but at $125 each, not a viable option for everybody. Me personally, I plan to just swap out my OPDA every 40 - 50K or so. I'll pull it frequently and check the wear, and go from there.
With a properly modded and cared for OPDA I think you/we will find that replacing them at that frequency will not be needed..just a hunch, but Ill be keeping an eye on mine.
JustinCHorst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 11:55 AM   #3393
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCHorst View Post
With a properly modded and cared for OPDA I think you/we will find that replacing them at that frequency will not be needed..just a hunch, but Ill be keeping an eye on mine.
I agree. I don't think the FogMod fixes the gear wear. When people contact me with those expectations I try to talk them down. The binding is the much bigger deal. A gear that wears away (granted at a faster rate than previous models) IMO is expected.

I do believe changes in oil type and regular intervals will help the gear wear. At some point I would expect to pull my OPDA and see more gear wear. The teeth are relatively thick and the gear is designed to be a wear part. We don't have anything conclusive to fix the gear wear. As the gear wears, there will be codes and warning. With binding you are playing Russian Roulette (maybe not that extreme but you get the point).

I'm excited to see what stripperguy has come up with. I think the brainstorming process between members has been the key to getting through this. Part support group, part engineering division. At this point, I'm extremely comfortable with my oil cup. I watch the thread more to keep the first page updated than I do looking for a solution.
Unread 06-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #3394
Bigbob

Ah, here we go on oil again! LOL

My thoughts:

If you use a proper ACEA A3 oil you will have enough zinc. IMHO if you add 2 quarts of straight zinc it won't stop thew wear of the gear. I don't think the gear wear is due to oil specs, but the system may not get enough oil to the gear, but that may not be true either. The oil issue on these engines relates to the lifters and cam lobes mainly.

I think the gear wear is directly connected to the bushing bind. Spinning at 1200 rpm any binding of the bushing causes the load at the gear to increase dramatically. Even though you might spin the shaft easy by hand, that does not mean it don't bind.

I also think the actual engine block casting may be flawed on some engines to the point the gear backlash is wrong or at the wrong angle.

If what stripperguy is coming up with similar to what I envision in my engineering mind (with no tools in hand!) this will be the fix. I looked at doing the same sort of thing but my idea/design used bronze bushings. I contacted a bushing builder in Michigan but the cost was going to be prohibitive. We know the top bushing does not get proper lubrication and we also know the bushing material is all wrong. He addresses both those.

stripperguy may be a hero soon.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #3395
Bigbob

BTW, the load on the gear should be minimal. Look what it drives? Basically only the oil pump. Spinning that sensor wheel is a very small load. It's the bushing design boys. The basic "distributor" design, driving the oil pump and the ignition system or sensor wheel, has been around for 80 years. Not many failures before due to oil or whatever.

This is a bushing design failure.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #3396
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

check out stripperguys company site sometime , He can show ya how to make bearings last with no oil . I beleive he is part magician

My back up has landed . Sleep better tonight
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #3397
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've made the switch to VR1 in my Jeep because of an oil leak I had with the Mobil 1 synthetic. For those of you running the VR1, how long are you going between oil changes?
Unread 06-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #3398
locosdj
2013 JK Wrangler 

I'm around 4,000
locosdj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #3399
locosdj
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB View Post
I've made the switch to VR1 in my Jeep because of an oil leak I had with the Mobil 1 synthetic. For those of you running the VR1, how long are you going between oil changes?

I' around 4,000 every oil change with VR1, no oil leaks and 55,000 miles with the oil bath mod.
Unread 06-28-2012, 06:11 AM   #3400
mhopton
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Those using the VR1, are you using the Dino version, or synthetic?
mhopton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #3401
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhopton
Dino
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2012, 09:30 AM   #3402
locosdj
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhopton View Post
Dino
Unread 06-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #3403
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Dino as well, stopped my rear main leak

Unread 06-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #3404
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Dino here too on the VR1...10W30
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2012, 06:57 AM   #3405
jeep06
2015 KL Cherokee 

Dino VR-1 10W30 here to, change it every 3k mi.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.