2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 225 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinGear Installs at CCOR SpecialSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 06-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #3361
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Since you've already done the FogMod, just adapt to the oil cup design or the oil bath. They are both pretty simple to mod and upkeep. Both are explained in the Alternate Designs section of the first page.

Unread 06-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #3362
Dan the man
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Gotcha.
Thanks
Dan the man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #3363
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the man View Post
New one has the fog mod done, but looking for something more permanent as I cant see the grease fully encasing the upper bearing.
I like oil better than grease. If you have a new OPDA put an oil cup on it or do the simple oil bath set-up. I did the oil bath on my new one and a flow through pressurized oil set-up on the old one. I think the flow through is a good deal, but have to figure a better method of sealing the top of the bushing. The shaft is an odd ball size so finding a seal is not doable. I am hoping the stripperguy mod he is coming up with will work with my flow through design. The object of the flow through was to get good oil to the bushings of course, but to also add some extra oil at the gears. This works great, but I can't keep the top sealed. Look on the first page for the flow through and I think the oil bath is there as well.

I strongly suggest a oil bath for anyone with a new OPDA. Easy to do and works very well.

Link:

BTW I did have to remove it and JB Weld the 2 1/4" plugs. They started to leak. I also put a vent on the plastic cap. Not sure if the cap needs to be vented or not, but in theory if a lot of crankcase pressure works it's way into a sealed up OPDA it could blow the cap off or at least blow silicon out that seals the cap and sensor.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #3364
Dan the man
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
I like oil better than grease. If you have a new OPDA put an oil cup on it or do the simple oil bath set-up. I did the oil bath on my new one and a flow through pressurized oil set-up on the old one. I think the flow through is a good deal, but have to figure a better method of sealing the top of the bushing. The shaft is an odd ball size so finding a seal is not doable. I am hoping the stripperguy mod he is coming up with will work with my flow through design. The object of the flow through was to get good oil to the bushings of course, but to also add some extra oil at the gears. This works great, but I can't keep the top sealed. Look on the first page for the flow through and I think the oil bath is there as well.

I strongly suggest a oil bath for anyone with a new OPDA. Easy to do and works very well.
I just read your pressurized version and was wondering if there was blow by getting past the upper seal.
I think if I pull the zerk and enlarge the hole I can stick a clear tube on it with a hose clamp and run that up to a see through oil resivoure.
Edit: Just watched the video. Good mod. I take it the sensor can get oil on it and not effect the timing ?
Unread 06-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #3365
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the man View Post
I just read your pressurized version and was wondering if there was blow by getting past the upper seal.
I think if I pull the zerk and enlarge the hole I can stick a clear tube on it with a hose clamp and run that up to a see through oil resivoure.
Edit: Just watched the video. Good mod. I take it the sensor can get oil on it and not effect the timing ?
I removed the top stock seal and put a seal on top of the bushing. I also grooved the shaft to make sure the oil flowed. Like I said, the stock shaft is an odd ball at 13.5 MM or .5315 and I used a .500 seal which won't hold up real long. Stripperguy's deal is using a sealed bearing at the top and that will solve this I am guessing. You can just drip oil into like Lrod did, but I want a good flow to add extra oil at the gears. The sensor is not affected by oil at all.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #3366
stripperguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
I removed the top stock seal and put a seal on top of the bushing. I also grooved the shaft to make sure the oil flowed. Like I said, the stock shaft is an odd ball at 13.5 MM or .5315 and I used a .500 seal which won't hold up real long. Stripperguy's deal is using a sealed bearing at the top and that will solve this I am guessing. You can just drip oil into like Lrod did, but I want a good flow to add extra oil at the gears. The sensor is not affected by oil at all.

Hey Bob,
I just received an invoice for the upper ball bearing mounts, but no parts yet. I'm guessing the vendor is ready to ship. I will then have all the parts I need to retrofit 10 OPDA's. I still need to get back to the shop and machine the shaft sleeves and spacers...shouldn't be long now.
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #3367
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Music to my ears , Progress
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2012, 06:35 PM   #3368
Dan the man
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Hey Bob,
I just received an invoice for the upper ball bearing mounts, but no parts yet. I'm guessing the vendor is ready to ship. I will then have all the parts I need to retrofit 10 OPDA's. I still need to get back to the shop and machine the shaft sleeves and spacers...shouldn't be long now.

If all 10 are not taken I would like to get in on the list.
Here's the resivoure I will be using for now to oil the shaft.

Unread 06-20-2012, 10:57 PM   #3369
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Dan, it’s OK to use that tube & reservoir to lube the top bushing with oil but any oil filled higher than the hole in the bushing will just flow over the top of the bushing & into the upper housing area where the wheel/sensor is. You will have to limit the amount of oil in the tube or seal the housing, sensor & cap. See dproctor’s write up linked on page 1 under alternatives. Putting an oil cup in place of the grease zerk is all the oil you need.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2012, 12:01 AM   #3370
gebirgziege
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I will be checking mine tomorrow. I'll post up pics ad well.
Unread 06-21-2012, 12:55 AM   #3371
Laredo-Alex
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I´ve had an open recall on the OPDA which was done by FIAT the last week.

They´ve been not sure which OPDA was taken in my LJ because the sticker got lost. The recall was free for me (is free for everybody!!!!!), even the rental-car. I did it with 31` mls, even i had no "laughing monkey". now i´ve got one year guarantee on the work and two years on the parts.

You can check your open recall under jeep.com with your VIN!

They took the engine our of the LJ to do the rebuilt and now.......now i´ve got four errors and the engine-light is on => P0031, P0037, P0051, P0057 ..... all 4 O2-Sensors! they don´t find the mistake, all sensors are plugged in and ground (-) is there as well. the only thing is that there is not enough volts from the PCM ....... i think they took the plug from the pcm before they disconnect the battery and though blow the pc off.

here is no official dealer with could come and take a quick look ... but thats the problem of the fiat-dealer.

cross your fingers that they will find the mistake .... they can change all the parts untill they found what they´ve done wrong but believe me, i won´t pay anything!

Unread 06-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #3372
gebirgziege
2006 LJ Wrangler 

So this is what I found inside the opda
Unread 06-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #3373
gebirgziege
2006 LJ Wrangler 

So this is what I found inside the opda...

First picture-
Some black frass like material, I am unsure if it is normal it did not look as if anything was wrong with the upper bushing or any premature wear with out taking it apart (which I did not do). It is not metal shavings.

Second picture- oil pump key showing wear on the bottom of one side of key (turning surface)

Rest of pictures are helical gear wear.

...no squeaking at all, just wear on the gears. I am only at 24k miles at this point.

Guys, what's your opinion of what I should do at this point or in the near future?
image-4049448294.jpg   image-1931100079.jpg   image-701145612.jpg   image-387495658.jpg   image-3549369920.jpg  

Unread 06-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #3374
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yours looks about like mine did with 45k miles. I replaced it with a new one, and am keeping the old one for a spare, or I can mod it.
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #3375
gebirgziege
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Bio- what's your opinion of where I can get a new one...
What did you pay?

Should I mod the old one with a greaseable zerk?

Some guys are getting theirs replaced by factory. The local jeep stealership is kinda being @$$ hats about replacing free stuff after they did my cats.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.