2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 223 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 06-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #3331
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I think that price $90 must have been wrong. Sorry! When I look now, it is around $125 or so.

http://dodge-wholesale.com/catalog/a...0624AC&x=6&y=6

Unless they just raised it?

06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #3332
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Gentlemen,

I saw my plans mentioned above, if not my name...
I have placed orders for all of the required components to integrate a rolling element bearing ( a deep groove, double sealed, grease packed) up top and a proper tribological material replacement bushing for the lower. BTW, both of the OEM bushings, upper and lower, are some sort of martensitic steel, not a sane choice as a bearing material.
Currently, I am waiting for the parts to arrive. I'm confident that these simple changes will solve the problem of the poor OEM OPDA design.
I have delivery dates for the longest lead components of another week or two.

It's really too bad that Chrysler sullied their 4.0 image with this "design by accountant" OPDA. Once this issue is addressed, the 4.0 should be bullt proof, as it should be...
Any news on this yet?
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #3333
stripperguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Bob,
I have received 20 of the replacement lower bushings, they look great! I have the enough raw stock to mfg 50 of the upper shaft sleeves and spacers. I have purchased a custom size reamer to produce the required upper sleeve bore. I have ordered 10 of the upper bearing carriers. I have ordered and received all of the necessary SS fasteners to mount the upper bearing carrier. I have ordered 10 of the upper deep groove double sealed ball bearings. I have mfg'd custom tooling for removal of the OEM OPDA bushings.
At the moment, I am waiting for the upper bearing mounts and the deep groove bearings.
Other than that, I haven't done too much with this project. I was busy getting that insurance wreck '05 LJ (where all this started, for me) road ready, just received a salvage title last week, and had the front end aligned yesterday. It goes on the road this coming Friday. And I have been feverishly working to repair the 19' sailboat that I built 10 years ago...

stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #3334
LRod
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Don't mean to horn in but do you have anymore pictures of the boat interior?
LRod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2012, 04:52 AM   #3335
gebirgziege
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioTex
I orderd my new OPDA direct from the warehose in Tampa, Fl. $90~ I installed it myself. Took all of 10 minutes. Sorry you had to spend so much. Ouch...
Contact info?????
Unread 06-13-2012, 05:49 AM   #3336
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebirgziege

Contact info?????
Look 5 posts up.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2012, 05:50 AM   #3337
mhopton
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Bob,
I have received 20 of the replacement lower bushings, they look great! I have the enough raw stock to mfg 50 of the upper shaft sleeves and spacers. I have purchased a custom size reamer to produce the required upper sleeve bore. I have ordered 10 of the upper bearing carriers. I have ordered and received all of the necessary SS fasteners to mount the upper bearing carrier. I have ordered 10 of the upper deep groove double sealed ball bearings. I have mfg'd custom tooling for removal of the OEM OPDA bushings.
At the moment, I am waiting for the upper bearing mounts and the deep groove bearings.
Other than that, I haven't done too much with this project. I was busy getting that insurance wreck '05 LJ (where all this started, for me) road ready, just received a salvage title last week, and had the front end aligned yesterday. It goes on the road this coming Friday. And I have been feverishly working to repair the 19' sailboat that I built 10 years ago...
That's really awesome. Thanks for doing the legwork on this and making the initial investment. I'm not sure how many you need to make to breakeven, or what your ROI might look like, but maybe that doesn't matter. Either way, I hope to be inline for one of these when available.

Mike
mhopton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2012, 06:24 AM   #3338
stripperguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRod View Post
Don't mean to horn in but do you have anymore pictures of the boat interior?
Mr Rod,
here is a link to more photos...boat is similar to a Front Runner or 49er. PM me if you wish.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1066990...0/K19Sailboat#

And that LJ? $8,000 total investment, ready for the road!!

The OPDA costs will likely be under $75, with the upper bearing housing cost dominating all others. In higher quantites, costs will drop quickly...
Unread 06-13-2012, 06:52 AM   #3339
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I see you can also buy new MOPAR OPDAs on Ebay also for 133. + shipping
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #3340
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary2
I see you can also buy new MOPAR OPDAs on Ebay also for 133. + shipping
You can get it for less through the dealer linked in my signature, and for still less if you pick up the phone and call them.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
Unread 06-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #3341
gebirgziege
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I am thinking i will wait and buy the one he makes himself.
Unread 06-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #3342
stripperguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Gentlemen,
A further update:
Received the deep groove ball bearings today. Only waiting for the upper bearing housing now.
This week I will mfg the shaft sleeves and spacers. These allow reuse of the OEM shaft, even if the shaft is scored at the upper bushing location.
Unread 06-16-2012, 10:50 PM   #3343
LRod
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
You can get it for less through the dealer linked in my signature, and for still less if you pick up the phone and call them.
I think you'd still need to modify them to oil the upper bearing wouldn't you?
Unread 06-16-2012, 11:56 PM   #3344
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRod

I think you'd still need to modify them to oil the upper bearing wouldn't you?
Certainly would. I was just replying to the $133 eBay price cited above. I'm looking forward to stripperguy's solution.

― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

Unread 06-16-2012, 11:59 PM   #3345
LRod
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ahhhhh, I see.
Go Stripper Guy, "Git Er Done"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.